GU Turbo timer conflict???

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:44
ThreadID: 28979 Views:2080 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
A little confused here,you all might say der...but just after l purchased my truck l fitted a turbo timer to it..3lt diesel,..to do the rite thing by the turbo,now ever since then my sub tank warning light stays on at the dash and won't transfer fuel,if l leave the battery disconected for 24 hrs it all works again untill l use the timer,so l wrote it of as conflict between the timer and sub tank as apart from not haveing the room for spare fuel everything else was alright....but all of a sudden the dam thing seems to be working fine...l mean this has been going on now for two years..????l know the first comes to my mind is don't complain....but in my experience electricals just don't fix themselfs of the shelf their either good or bad,,all a little confusing,what do you think?
JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:05

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:05
Hello JD,
You don't happen to have done any work on the vehicle that may have had you disconnect and then reconnect a body earth wire?
Sounds to me like a grounding type issue.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 144473

Follow Up By: Member - JD - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:25

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:25
Hi Geoff M,
Actually l have,l have just installed a winch,it's off now, the tank light, but has come back on, and off again, if all its been all this time is a earth drama...l put extra earth straps from the engine to the spring mounts about 2 years ago just after this started happening..so l didn't go any further down that train of thought...and the alternitive was take the timer back off..but the thought of the turbo letting rip..l decided to live with it until now,l will have to go over all the straps starting from the last one l touched bat earth terminal...starting to get close to under my nose.Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.Merry Xmas.
JD
FollowupID: 398005

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:28

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:28
Hi JD
One problem can be that the earth for the turbo timer was not good enough and the unit earthed through the subtank pump causing problems, this was a common problem, needed an extra earth fitted from battery to chassis and to the body to overcome it. Also to reset the computer take the earth strap of the battery for about 30 sec and you will hear a click, the computer is then reset.
Ray
AnswerID: 144475

Follow Up By: Member - JD - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:36

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 09:36
Hi Ray,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question l will be definately be checking all earth straps.Merry Xmas.
JD
FollowupID: 398009

Reply By: desert - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:52

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:52
I have had similar gremlins with the sub-tank pump and light, it can through a "wobbly" for no apparant reason, although I do not have a timer wired up.A word of caution: when doing any welding, or electrical work, always disconnect the battery cable(negative will do). Sometimes a simple river crossing will cause the light to come on and I simply crawl under, disconnect the plug at the pump and re-connect and away it goes again? I would suggest to you to trace the power source for the timer(pos.) and if it is wired into anything related to the dash instruments or the sub-tank circuit, then I would relocate the power souce to somewhere else, just to be on the safe side.
AnswerID: 144504

Follow Up By: Member - JD - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 15:05

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 15:05
Hi Desert,
Thanks for your reply,l actually had a lic auto sparky install it,but l think it prudent now to have it checked to see actually what circut it draws power from,l'm onto the precautions regarding to welding as my base trade is structual welding/fabricating..but thanks for the warning,maybe an isolating switch is the way to go rarther than crawling under the truck out bush as we pulled up on the light line a while ago and the vibrations from the trucks brought funnely's running our way,Bugger that! anyway have a Merry Xmas.
JD
FollowupID: 398054

Sponsored Links