Mt Elvire station

Submitted: Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 01:52
ThreadID: 28976 Views:7683 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This Calm owned station was siezed in 1991 Due to the owners being more interested in growing dope than stocking with sheep.
It is about 100km West of Menzies (WA) and is an interesting location as it is on a huge North facing Penninsula in lake barlee. The station has some facilitys and can be Booked for accomadation although their probably isnt a line up.
I Accessed the station By heading NW of kalgoorlie via Broadarrow, Ora Banda and the newly abandoned davyhurst mine where i turned West on the diemals menzies road until the Mt Elvire Turnoff which heads north up the penninsula.
I first camped at rainy rocks not far from the turnoff which is one of many rocks in the area. The following day it was on to the homestead which has some interesting Breakaways and rock formations nearby. I continued north up the penninsula stopping to check out Iron Shale hills which overlook the massive lake with all its islands. The track then got interesting as it headed up an ironstone Hill Range with thick bush adding to the copios scratches and shaly rutted tracks challanging my bald tyres and toyotas LSD . the hills in this area include Mt Elvire and are most pituresque giving excellent views of the penninsula . The track then moves down passed down onto saltbush country where I camped. I followed the track the next day which traversed the head of the penninsula before heading back to the Homestead via a fenceline.
Interesting area with plenty of 4wding (exploration tracks smother the hills around mt Elvire) for a place alot would say why go there there is nothing to see.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:35

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:35
So Dave you've seen that overhanging ledge in the breakaway. Last time I was out there (October 12 months ago) we did a 25k (approx) drive on the lake around its edge. A couple of us toyed with the idea of a future trip driving right around the edge of the lake, which if possible would be quite a few 100ks. Lake Barlee is the largest salt lake in WA.

See ya
AnswerID: 144483

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:05

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:05
Definitly thought it was worth further exploration unfortunatly it was that hot it lifted and crazed the coating on my glasses. i then broke them. not before a fairly good poke around though. I then finally managed to hole one of my tyres which was interesting to change with taped together glasses that were all crazed. Still debating whether to fix it ar just bin the lot as I have well and truly got my 100 bucks worth out of them and they are really starting to show it. Oh and the flies were just amazing - and I am used to them. Still it was fun
FollowupID: 398032

Sponsored Links