wireless internet

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:22
ThreadID: 28966 Views:1706 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
am planning a trip and wondering if anyone can tell me anything about wireless internet , mainly for kids schooling etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cruiser - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:37

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:37
See Telstra web site. It says it all

Telstra Wireless Broadband
AnswerID: 144394

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:53

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:53
Greetings

You should also watch the proposal for and the implementation of Telstra's proposed replacement of CDMA. This new system could not only have a big impact on country telephone and internet services (hopefully a major improvement) but these new/replacement services will be also be available to and be of great benefit to travellers.

Those persons contemplating replacing their current GSM mobiles should look at the new telstra proposals and I suggest give serious consideration to a 3G phone or at least wait until the new telstra system is agreed upon.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 144404

Follow Up By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:40

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:40
Paul
The info I have is that CDMA replacement by 3G will be at least 3 years away, if at all.
I just replaced my CDMA last week with a new one as I update every 2 to 3 years anyway, and I agree that hopefully if and when it does happen that we have a major improvement.
Meanwhile if you are travelling in the next couple of years all we can do is stick with the status quo
Cheers Poppy
FollowupID: 397920

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:42

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:42
Yes it seems it will depend on the area as to whether there wil be a three year replacement or whatever. Bit of a bugga as we will probably be a need to get one before then. I would like to think the software in the car system may interface with it as it does my phone. I just dunno. A real bugga. I did hear though that the CDMA is very similar to a detuned 3G system so it may make an easier changeover.
FollowupID: 397949

Reply By: Member - AdrianLR (VIC) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:51

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:51
I've been using the Mini Maxon EV-DO modem that Telstra supply with various broadband plans. Works very well in major cities but very marginal elsewhere. For example on the Gold & Sunshine coasts it was hardly usable, Newcastle, Sydney & Melbourne great, Hume between Sydney & Brisbane ok (at 1X speeds only) and only when stationary. For the Sierra Aircard (more expensive option) you can get an external antenna that may help.

It depends what you want to do whilst online. Email without big attachments is good, internet banking is ok but is painful if the signal drops in-and-out but surfing the web is marginal (and depending on the plan very expensive).

Where will you be travelling? Options other than wireless may also work.

Adrian
AnswerID: 144411

Sponsored Links