Sportiva Tents - Any good ???

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 13:24
ThreadID: 28964 Views:10728 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
It might be a bit late to ask this question as I snapped one up yesterday that was on sale and seemed to be a good price. It was a Sportiva Villa and I paid $289.00 on sale. We were looking for a fairly large tent for our family holidays. (I'll take a 9x9 tourer for my short trips away with the boys).

I was steering towards a canvas cabin tent, but when I saw this tent at that price, I changed my mind and handed over a lot less $$$. I'm sure the canvas tents are good, however, the family trips will only be a couple a year if that, so I couldnt see point at this stage, to invest in a good canvas cabin tent.

I guess, I'd just like to hear reports from other Sportiva owners on how their tents have been and if there is anything I need to look out for?

Cheers

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:37

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:37
Mark,

My sister has had a sportivo tent (2 room job plus covered entrance room) for at least 5 or 6 years. With 5 boys and 2 adults I thought it was a bit squeezy but apart from that the tent has served it's purpose well. No rips or peg holes ripped off so you can't ask for more than that, and as you said for the price .... good value in my opinion as well.
Have fun with the new room and get out there and enjoy it.

Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 144393

Follow Up By: ShnogDog - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:03

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:03
Thanks for the feedback Trevor, We have 2 girls and one more on the way (March) so room will be ample for a while yet.

I'm pretty certain it will do a good job for the price... If we really get into long stint camping, then I might look at a big canvas cabin, but for now with 1-2 weeks camps at most, this should be fine.

Mark
FollowupID: 397899

Reply By: meaticus - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:43

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:43
I have a Sportiva Headland - rated to sleep 8 - we sleep 2 of us comfortably. If it rains, which seems to be every single time i get it out, we can just lug all the gear into the front room and we can sit in relative comfort in the wet stuff.... we then have the second room for sleeping - it works a treat.

The sportiva's, IMHO are good value and serve their purpose well. I have had it for 3 years ish and we camp probably 5 times a year - and for this purpose it is great. If I was using it more, I would look at something more substantial (canvas etc etc) but I always have to think I can buy 3 sportivas for the price of a decent canvas job ... thats a fair few beers :)
AnswerID: 144502

Reply By: Trev88 - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:52

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:52
Hi Shnog Dog

We have the double dome job the big one set up takes just over 30 min with 2 and with 4 it is even quicker. we were up the central coast during the Oct School hildays when sydney had a storm that followed up the coast. We were the lake side and had no protection. the wind was so strong that the tent was flat be fore we went out for the day realy did not expect it to be there when we got back.

We were told the tent spent more time flat that moning than it was up. But when we got back you would not have know there was any wind during the day. All the pegs were still in the tent was up right and all the guy ropes holding the fly were still attached and pegged.

It was so windy theu closed Stockton Beach for horse riding.

Thats my expeience with thesportiva tents.

Regards

Trevor
AnswerID: 144511

Reply By: Rob DG - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 14:51

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 14:51
Mark I had a Sportiva two room Tent with a fly that could be pegged out to create a sort of a verandah. I paid a lot more that you did and sold it last week to a friend who is touring for the next few weeks at a bargain price. It never let me down and a family of four were very comfortable in it. Watch out though, after using I got the bug and brought a camper trailer, its called evolution I think.

Cheers
Rob
AnswerID: 144518

Sponsored Links