Accessing ECU 79 Series Cruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:50
ThreadID: 28962 Views:2609 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,
Just wondering if anyone has managed to do this, either via an ignition/button push sequence (as alluded to in another post re Nissans), or via a PC based program that interfaces with the ECU. Like many others I just want to get more data about how my vehicle is running.
Basically looking for more specific data than the current instrument panel reveals.
Cheers
Bryce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:26

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:26
I think you are referring to a follow up post that was made by me about accessing the onboard computer and getting it to display digital readouts of diagnostic information on the engine.

This will only work if the engine is controlled by a on-bord computer, being the 79 is a old stile diesel along with the 4.2 Nissan I.E not computer controlled so you don’t have this ability.

I failed to relies this fact about the 4.2 nissan when I originally posted the follow up about this information. I.E no ECU.

My brother and I managed to get hold of the Access sequence for his model of car a EL Ford Fairmont and it gives you access to all sort’s of information on what the engine is doing, Thus why I originally mentioned it in the overheating Nissan post I think it was.

My understanding, is it is on the system on most ECU controlled cars and 4WD once you know the sequence.

So if anyone has a E-series throe the AU- series (1995-2002) Ford car, I can post how to log onto this system if you would like.

It would not surprise me if the Nissan 3-Litre Nissan, V8-Landcruiser, 4.8 or 4.5 Nissan or anything with a digital odometer/ trip computer had this, it’s just a matter on searching around motoring sites on the web till you stumble across it, but it must have a On-bord computer/ engine management system.
AnswerID: 144391

Follow Up By: GoThe80! - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:31

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:31
Thanks very much for your reply!Are you sure the 79 series is not computer controlled? I thought all the new ones were controlled by an onboard computer that can be adjusted, ie by power up chips etc. Also the 79 does have a digital odometer too... dont know if that makes a difference or not though...
FollowupID: 397901

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:09

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:09
Fairly sure. but Yes a digital odometer readout is required, as the diagnostic information has to be displayed on it but you don’t need an ECU for digital odometer.
But if you can chip it then it has a ECU which means you can poetically access this function if it’s available to do so, the only manufacture I am 100% sure you can access this function with is Ford as I have done it.

Don’t expect the dealers to know what you are talking about as a lot of them wouldn’t know it’s there, and they access the computer with there diagnostic machines anyway.

FollowupID: 397909

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:20

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:20
1Hz (NA diesel) has no computer.
1HD-FTE 79series (post 2002) is an EFI turbo diesel and has one.

I've not heard of anyone accessing that stuff on this vehicle.
Some of the guys on 70scool or lcool_aus would know.
FollowupID: 397963

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:10

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:10
Hello Bryce,
If your 79 Series Cruiser has the factory turbo diesel then it has an ECU. If your 79 series has the old normally aspirated 1HZ diesel then no ECU.
Look on Auto Speed I'm pretty sure I saw mention of connecting a PC to the engine management system.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 144414

Follow Up By: GoThe80! - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 23:27

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 23:27
Thanks all!
I will investigate a program called AutoTap a little further.
Thanks for your help!
Cheers
GoThe80! (though now that would be a 79!)
FollowupID: 397977

Sponsored Links