Which Setting on Battery Charger?

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:48
ThreadID: 28959 Views:1738 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, I have a new Pioneer Silhouette which came with a Lead-Calcium deep cycle battery in its box.

I have one of those battery charger thingies which charges the battery, and when full, maintains the charge.

My question is: the charger has 2 settings - "Lead-Acid" and "GEL". Now I know the difference between the two, however which setting should I use for a Lead-Calcium battery?

I reckon Lead-Acid, but hopefully you experts out there can give me the right advice. Thanx.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:24

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:24
Unless the vans have changed, you don't need a charger. Just plug the van into a 240v outlet and it will automatically charge, through the built in charger. That's what ours does anyway. So every time you plug into 240v, the battery will be topped up. I always connect the van up a couple of days early and switch the fridge on as well, to get it cold on 240v before we travel with it in 12v mode.

Hope this helps.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 144378

Follow Up By: 4145derek - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:09

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:09
You must use the higher setting (Lead Acid or Flooded) . Calcium batteries build up a resistance to charge over time and you require the higher voltage to break through the resistance.

Regards Derek. ABR
FollowupID: 397895

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:22

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:22
Jarse,
Because you say you know the difference between 'Lead-Acid' and 'gel' batteries and therefore you would know it's not a 'Gel' battery so it's gotta be a Lead-Acid battery, utilising Lead/Calcium plate technology !!

It's a good DC battery!!!

Keep it fully charged at all 'reasonable' times and you will have no drama's...
AnswerID: 144396

Sponsored Links