Charging via Generator

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:50
ThreadID: 28956 Views:6738 Replies:12 FollowUps:39
This Thread has been Archived
Been researching the possible us of a 1000 W class inverter generator (Honda - Yam / Kipor et al) - would appreciate advice from the electro-techno-forumites re the best hook up for battery charging in camp.......240V outlet to my existing 4A charger OR 12V 8A outlet OR other ? I presume the 12V outlet is unregulated and could cook the battery if left unattended ? PS: I'm up with noise politics - the decibel police can relax !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeepster-WA - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:53

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:53
I may just jump on the back of this Banjo if you dont mind, get two similar questions done together. I am building up a CT when I get home from overseas and have a short timeframe to do it in. How many south pacific peso's for a Battery setup in the CT with charger and all the rest that goes with it?. Would like to have dual batteries in the truck but no room under the bonnet. I have been toying with the idea of using one of those outback chargers as mentioned in January's edition of 4WD monthly. The cost of that and a battery would comeout at around a grand.

Any suggestions

cheers

Jeepster
AnswerID: 144367

Reply By: porl - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:54

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:54
Yes you are right. Worse still the voltage output is not consistent and you need a different voltage for charging for wet lead acid and AGM batteries. In my opinion, depending on what current your battery can take purchase as high a 3 (4 even better) stage battery charger with Wet lead acid/AGM switch as you can and you should be right.

Despite what others may say if you shop around you can get 3 stage chargers now from under $200. I think my 15amp cost $178 from some marine place.
AnswerID: 144368

Follow Up By: Trev50 - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:16

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:16
G'day Porl,
I'm thinking of putting in an order for a new charger for my Christmas stocking. What make and model did you buy?
Cheers,
Trev
FollowupID: 397865

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:23

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:23
>you need a different voltage for charging for wet lead
>acid and AGM batteries.

That is not necessary.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 397866

Follow Up By: porl - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:36

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:36
Mike - I know Optima advise a maximum voltage of 14.2 for their AGM's, wet lead acidsare happy to take higher. It may not be"necessary" but I'd prefer to go with the manufacturer's specifications. take if up with optima and some google searches if you don't believe me.
FollowupID: 397882

Follow Up By: porl - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:49

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:49
Trev50

I got one over the internet from this group:

http://www.southpacific.com.au/

The 15amp charger is not listed on their website cause they are nongs but they do have them, and although the people on the phone didn't know it my 15amp charger does have a toggle switch for charging AGM's at 14.2v and wet lead acid batteries at 15v or something like that.
FollowupID: 397886

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:06

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 14:06
>I know Optima advise a maximum voltage of 14.2
>for their AGM's,

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/commercial/technical_specs.html

Quote from above link to Optima site:
---------------------------
Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.
---------------------------

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 397894

Follow Up By: porl - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:21

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:21
I concede Mike, but my info came direct from them in an email. Maybe times have changed, all good.
FollowupID: 398016

Follow Up By: porl - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:41

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:41
Accepted Mike, I've always appreciated and respected your advice.
FollowupID: 398266

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:55

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:55
If your 4amp charger is auto and goes into float charge when the battery is charged then that's the go.
I believe that there is no regulator on the batt charge part of a genny so there is always the risk of overcharge/cooking of a battery.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 144369

Follow Up By: hl - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:43

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:43
A 4 amp charger is really not adequate. Either use the built in 8 amps or buy a bigger 240V charger. Don't worry about the fancy ones, as you won't be running the genni for long enough to do any damage even if it does overcharge a bit. I reckon you'd be flat out to top it off, let alone overcharge.

Cheers
FollowupID: 397873

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:54

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:54
hl,

Yer cortect. It's pretty simple to work out. If you have a 100 amp/hour battery that's 50% discharged. That means it needs 50 amps put back into it to get it to 100% again.

So of you have a true 8 amp output from a generator it will take 50 divide by 8 - answer is in hours - to recharge it.

That works out that you would have to run yer genny for 6.25 hours.

These are only theoretical figures and it's doubtful if a genny would actually get the battery up to 100% charge. But it would put the bulk of the charge back into it.

With my set up, I then then top it off with 2 solar panels for the final polish.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 397875

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:49

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:49
>So of you have a true 8 amp output from a generator it
>will take 50 divide by 8 - answer is in hours - to recharge it.

No it won't - it will take longer because the DC battery charging output from the generator is not a constant current output it will probably have fallen to something closer to 3A after an hour or two.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 397907

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:57

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:57
Mike,

I said these figures were theoretical with a view to calculating how much time one could allow to have the battery on charge without cooking it. It a rough guide. I use it and it works plus I top off with a solar panel, as I stated.

If, as you say, ALL generators do not have a constant output cruuent then that just a gives a person even less chance of cooking a battery with generator charging. BUt do ALL generators perfrom as you say. I don't know. So can you tell us, please

Thanks,

Bilbo
FollowupID: 397908

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:15

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:15
>I said these figures were theoretical

Trouble is they are not - your "theory" is incorrect.

This forum is full of "experts" on every subject under the sun - I'm astonished that more of them don't seem to have professional experience in their field of expertise.

We've got an "expert" a few posts above who informs us Optima specify a maximum charge V of 14V2 - unfortunately Optima don't seem to know about that - every time I read a thread regarding electrical/electronic areas (my professional field of expertise for 32 years) on this forum it is packed with factual inaccuracies.

>BUt do ALL generators perfrom as you say. I don't know.
>So can you tell us, please

Well, Bilbo, I cannot be certain that somewhere deep in the jungles of Guatemala there is not a generator which has a constant current output for battery charging but I seriously doubt any of the hobby gens people on this site will be using do - so let me reverse that question and ask you: can you please let me know of one which does?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 397910

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:24

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:24
Mike,

Where did I say I was an expert?

On the other hand, it's nice to have an expert answer these questions.

You must be a barrel of laughs around a campfire, mate.

Me? I just a bushy mechanic that's never cooked a battery and seems to make 'em last about 5 to 6 years.

Thank you,

Bilbo
FollowupID: 397964

Follow Up By: hl - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:37

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:37
Hi,

Mike, most of the gennis with a charging output actually put out close to 18V without a battery load, therefore they charge pretty constantly at their nominal 8 amps, even when the battery is nearly full.
However, as I said in a previous post, most people will not run the genni for long enough to cause a problem.
I personally think running the car engine for a while or just take the thing for an hour's drive will put in more than the genni will in half a day.
A good size solar panel ( min 60-80W) is a far better option if the main reason is to run a fridge for a few days without having to run the car engine.
If you really want to put a lot of herbs back into the battery in a hurry, then the Christie Engineering job (a Honda Engine teamed with a Bosh alternator) or a 25 - 30 amp charger plugged into the 240V outlet of a genni is the way to go.
Cheers
FollowupID: 397967

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:38

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:38
Hey!

Don't get all grumpy with me when your opinion is challenged. Do you see me answering questions on fuel pumps?

If you can't back up what you say then don't say it.…

>You must be a barrel of laughs around a campfire, mate.

I do OK :) Then again… I don't care – do you? :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 397968

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 00:25

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 00:25
I promise not to get grumpy if you promise to stop being pompous.

It's the old expression - it's not what ya say, it's the way that ya say it.

Deal?

Bilbo
FollowupID: 397990

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 06:44

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 06:44
>I promise not to get grumpy if you promise to stop
>being pompous.

Translation = "Don't have the audacity to tell me when I'm wrong".

Nah mate... you just keep on being grumpy :)

Mike Harding

FollowupID: 397996

Follow Up By: porl - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:01

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:01
To mike

Hey grumpy, i never called myself an expert.
FollowupID: 398041

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:38

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:38
>Hey grumpy, i never called myself an expert.

No, you didn't Porl - I was a bit grumpy with you and I apologise.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 398265

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:25

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:25
Hi Banjo,
Firstly I would go with the Yamaha 1000 w gennie, as it shuts down to 47 DB under low demand, and catch up with Roachie about the charger as he has a 3 stage charger setup which charges to 80% fast and then slows down so you dont need gennie on for as long.
Last year at new year we were camped for several days on the river and roachies yam genn was running 5 fridges and 3 batt chargers and it was still cutting in and out of low demand, the system works a treat, and at 47 DB you can sleep right next to it during the arvo when a snooze is required !!

Merry Xmas Pesty
AnswerID: 144379

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:52

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:52
Yep,
Mrs Pesty had a little nanny nap about 10 feet from where I had the gennie going.....when she woke up we asked her if the gennie bothered her....."what gennie?" she said.....
I have a 15amp Durst 3 stage charger mounted on my camper trailer. I plug the 240 volts from the gennie into the side of the camper trailer (input socket) and it takes over the running of the Engel 80 litre upright fridge as well as the charger. The charger tops up the 2 Super Charge Gold batteries (105a/h each). I also have another 240v lead which plugs into a similar socket on the Patrol's bullbar and does the same thing (ie: takes over running the 40 litre Engel automatically and also powers-up the old Arlec 4 amp chager which is connected to the 2nd battery....both the battery and charger are mounted in a simply plastic crate in the cargo bay of the Patrol). The 2nd battery in the Patrol is a Exide Extreme N70ZZ which I know I shouldn't have in there cos it could give off a gas that could offend.....but I do that all the time anyway..hahaha

Back to the gennie....the Yamaha is a great unit and I'm sure the Honda and Kipor are equally good at the task too.

I hardly ever use mine; only when camped in one spot for several days....even then I would never dream of running it past happy hour (say 5pm)......unless the concensus of those in our camp was that it should remain on as some of the blokes have these thumping great 110 litre Waecos that need heaps of power!!!!
FollowupID: 397888

Reply By: Austravel - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:21

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:21
I've got the Kipor, a 15 amp smart charger, a 40amp switch mode power supply and solar gear.

Solar gear (one panel) and a few batteries get me by for at least a week for a 60 litre fridge and freezer plus lights, shower, etc.

Use the gen and chargers after that.

Even though I have a 3 stage charger you don't really need one, reality is that the main cause of battery failure is under charging so the key thing is to get it above a certain voltage asap. Ok yes I know the smart chargers fully charge a battery safely and may extend life. However it's debatable. My 40 amp (max 15 volt) power supply cost about $250 off ebay. Ran it off the Kipor along with the 15 amp smart charger and gave the 4 batteries a charge over about 5 hours after they got down to about 11 volts. Not ideal to go to this voltage but I was testing how long the setup would last.

So what I'm saying is if you don't have the $$ for a large smart charge, go for a switch mode power supply. Your 4 or 8 amp units are simply way to small. Also remember that the batteries will only accept what they can resistance will limit the current draw if you have the voltage set right.
AnswerID: 144400

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:31

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:31
Hello Banjo 1,
I've got a 1kva Honda and a 15Amp 3-Stage charger. (Black bugger, can't remember the make)
They work really well together for the application you are outlining.
Much better than the 12v outlet on the Honda.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 144407

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:16

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:16
Having bitched a bit on this thread I suppose I should give you a considered reply - something I rarely do these days on this forum due to the editing policy of the owners.

The easiest and cheapest way is to use the 12V charging output of the gen. this has a couple of issues:

1 - as the battery takes up a little charge it's internal impedance will rise and cause the current accepted to reduce. The numbers here depend upon the capacity of your battery, it's chemistry and it's state of discharge - at a guess after about 30 to 60 minutes of running your gen will only be pushing around 2 to 4 amps into the battery.

2 - I can't speak for the Honda or other good quality gens but my $98 GMC is pretty rough and ready on the battery charging side - the "12 volt" output has an unsmoothed DC output of 22V with 100Hz (return to zero) ripple. This, of course, drops to around 17/18V smooth when a battery is connected. Most large (> 30Ah) batteries will not be too upset by this voltage however I would carefully monitor the time and current flow into the battery to ensure it doesn't suffer excessive heating - it will be OK for a few hours (depends on capacity and chemistry) but watch it after that. The Honda is probably better but my guess is not by a lot??? NB. You will not "cook" a battery providing you use a little common sense – that is largely an Explore Oz "expert" opinion – they are robust devices.

My preferred option is to use a half-way-decent battery charger from Jaycar, part number MB-3612 which is a switch mode 12V 6A/12A (switchable) semi intelligent charger - however I have my doubts if the designer was - it tends to put 110V between earth and battery neg. so watch how you handle it and keep it away from children. I really must get around to telling Jaycar to take it off the market (again!) so buy one fast 'cause it's damn good value if it doesn't kill you :)

Mike Harding

mike_harding@fastmail.fm
AnswerID: 144415

Follow Up By: Banjo 1 - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 20:57

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 20:57
Indeed Mike - I seem to recall from school that you only need to efficiently poke 100mA through someone to "tip them over the edge" - the varying circumstances for each case might see 110V as a bit low in general ? 240V is a much better plan ! :-) .....(.I shouldn't joke about this electrical mayhem).
FollowupID: 397935

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:57

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:57
Oh... it's just a bit of a tickle Banjo - some women I know quite enjoy it :)

Nevertheless the charger is dangerous and Jaycar should withdraw it (buy one quick - but don't touch earth and bat neg) - forget the 100mA stuff - far less than that will stop the heart.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 397953

Follow Up By: Moose - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 14:45

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 14:45
G'day Mike
Is there a way to circumvent the issue of the internal impedence rising and leading to reduced current acceptance? For example if one stopped charging after say 1 hour and let the battery sit for another hour and then started charging again would that do any good?
Thanks
Moose
PS Agree fully with your comments on the many so called experts on this forum when it comes to technical issues. I reckon that if the respondents stated what their qualifications were the readers may be more inclined to make an informed judgement about who to trust.
FollowupID: 398048

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 20:42

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 20:42
Moose , its the internet for crying out loud , any and all can be an "expert" ,formal Qualifications are but a few key strokes away for any and all !! lol.
FollowupID: 398134

Follow Up By: Moose - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:59

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 09:59
Alloy c/t - yeah I guess I should declare that I'm a nuclear physicist so any questions along the lines of nuclear power systems for LandCruisers and Patrols I'll be able to look after!
FollowupID: 398202

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:36

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 17:36
Hi Moose

>Is there a way to circumvent the issue of the internal
>impedence rising and leading to reduced current acceptance?

I don't think so - it's a function of the battery accepting charge although we're beginning to touch on the chemistry now and I don't have a clue about that :)

>For example if one stopped charging after say 1 hour
>and let the battery sit for another hour and then started
>charging again would that do any good?

Not much, I don't think. You would see a little settling of things but provided the battery is in good condition it will have retained the charge it accepted during that hour so you might get a bit of a current pulse for a minute or two but nothing to make any difference.

The only way to get more current into the battery (or remain at the same level as the initial charging current) whilst the battery charges is to increase the voltage of the charging source - which is what constant current chargers do – although there are issues with this: if you force in more energy than the battery's chemical process can convert it will be wasted as heat and if there is too much heat it may cause damage to the battery internals but provided you don't stray too far from the data sheet for the battery all should be well - which is why I'm happy for my GMC gen with it's crude output to charge my big battery (big thermal inertia) for a few hours but when I use it on my 7Ah SLA I put a 0R22 5W resistor in series

Now as you're a nuclear physicist I've got this question about Chaos Theory.... :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 398264

Reply By: Banjo 1 - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 20:46

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 20:46
Thanks a lot folks - plenty of contributions to evaluate there ! For the record, I see the 1KVA gennies as: Honda - $1440 in SA (with rebate) - quality - the leader possibly: Yamaha - $1340 in SA - equal to Honda: Kipor - $940 in SA possibly, $730 via eBay - specs match the others but quality and BACKUP (cautions have been expressed on this forum) are the questions, should the proverbial hit the spinning blades. Hon/Yam have 2 years Warranty - Kipor only 1. I'm likely to go Yamaha - they are sophisticated, quiet and reliable for the longer term it seems.... and the cost is lower, even without an expiring factory rebate ! As for charging, switchable smart seems the consensus ! THANKS ALL for the input - power to the forumites !
AnswerID: 144428

Reply By: Ray Bates - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:43

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:43
I have a 650w Yamaha genie that does not have a 12v outlet and to charge up my Trojan DSB I have been using a model PTC75-b battery charger purchased from SCA. It states that is 'Fully Automatic' it has a current selection of 2,6 & 12a. It also has a 75a engine start facility.
Is this charger suitable for charging my DSB?
Thank you.
ps. As the charger runs the amps drop. This would not be a 3 stage charger?????
AnswerID: 144446

Reply By: Member - Wayne M (WA) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 19:05

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 19:05
Like you I have also been looking into power supplies recently and found a lot of good info at this sight www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/articles/index.htm. The other alternative to a generator if you your main purpose is battery charging would Christies alternator charger, www.christieengineering.com.au/
AnswerID: 144561

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:29

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:29
Hello Wayne,
THe Christies alternator charger put out more current than a generator or more strictly they too are an alternator not a generator.
But in my opinion the Christie suffers from two downsides,
1. Only suitable for 12V DC battery charging. Lot of cash for a single use device.
2. Noisier than the Yamaha, Honda, Kipor generators being discussed here.

Otherwise are a good fast charge option for batteries,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 398188

Follow Up By: Banjo 1 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:30

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:30
Indeed Wayne re the Christie but its a battery charger only - it would be the best at that I presume but I had added flexibility in mind - while being less of a charger, the gennie can do more. Life is all about trade-offs it seems !
FollowupID: 398189

Reply By: wortgames - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:51

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:51
Hi everyone, I have a closely related question (reposted due the crash).

I am wondering about using a Jaycar 20A solar charger (Cat. MP-3129) as a general-purpose battery charger. It is $170 but very well-specified, with LCD display, pulse-width mod, 3-stage with programmable equalisation and low-voltage load cutout to name a few tricks. The only thing it doesn't provide is the actual charging energy.

Obviously it is designed to manage and charge your battery from a solar panel, but it strikes me that it wouldn't know (or care) whether the energy was coming from a solar panel or a cheap genny or a rough-as-guts battery charger or power supply. Presumably as long as you provide it with somewhere between 14-26V DC it will regulate it as required to charge the battery.

So it strikes me that it would make a good, set-and-forget, on-board charger/controller that will protect the batteries from being flattened and would then let you hook up any old source of power for recharging - whether it's a genny in the bush or a power supply at home.

FWIW I have a pair of Exide 6V 175Ah telecom wet cells that will only get used occasionally. Charging would come from a $98 GMC genny and/or a SuperCheap 'automatic' 2/6/12/75A charger/starter (the same model as Ray's). The batteries don't get used all that often so I am reluctant to trust them to the SuperCheap charger permanently (there's 'automatic' and there's 'SuperCheap automatic'), but I figure with the Jaycar controller I could leave the SC charger on full power for charging and maintenance, and I would just need to turn off the charger and use the batteries once in a while to cycle them and make them feel loved. The Jaycar unit would protect them from over-discharge.

Any thoughts or comments? Have I overlooked anything or is my logic sound?
AnswerID: 146405

Sponsored Links