Tyres and What size were they

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 01:42
ThreadID: 28955 Views:2273 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi one and all I know not another tyre question but a couple of us bleep heads were talking about tyre sizes on our yotas , when they are built they come out with 16" narrow tyres on, am I right so far so why do they put 15" wide tyres on them ,now we all have early model yotas so what would be the differance with us putting wide 16" on I know that it would be change the ratio a bit but would it be enough to worry us or are they supposed to have them on, would one inch be that critical. Cheers and have a very very very merry christmas from Roughneck and keep out of way of the boys in blue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian Bentley - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 06:43

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 06:43
I think that by puttting 32inch wide tyres on 15 inch rims is the common size conversion that people do when changing wheels on there cruisers because it must work out to be roughly the same 'overall' diameter. It has got me stuffed how they worked it out but lots of people use it.

I have 15 inch mags on my 94 cruiser ute with 32 inch x 11.5 inch BFG Muddies on it, seems to run alright, but i am considering my next purchase of tyres to be 31 inch x 10.5 inch merely because they are a more common tyre with a bigger range and are cheaper than the 32 inch.

I honestly cant see 1 inch being a problem, different story if 35 inch tyres were put on , speeding fines coming in everywhere.
AnswerID: 144354

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:52

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:52
The 16 inch narrow tyres were tubed 750R16 on split rims.

People would change to the 10R15 because they balance better, are wider, are tubeless, have a softer ride, and are cheaper and get more mileage. Some people believe they are better in sand. And the 15 inch rims are dirt cheap - usually about $50 each brand new.

Downsides are the 10R15 tyres have thin sidewalls, use more fuel, and only carry a load index of 109. They are also about an inch smaller in diameter.

IMO, 16inch tubeless are a better option because you'll get a better range of stronger tyres. But the wheels are double the price.
AnswerID: 144360

Follow Up By: Roughneck - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:40

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 15:40
Hi whenever you see the wide tyres on the 4x4s it makes you wonder why the down side is quite allarming because of the wear and tear on the stearing nuckles and power steering and the extra preassure on the diffs and unerversal joints when taking off but they do look good and they do steer a lot better when the allignment is right but they have brought grown men to tears when you see one with a stake through the side wall or when you'r on the beach and you let them down to low and they spin on the rims that probably another question how low can you let them down , all as I know if you dont look after them they can cost you a lot of money but I suppose you cant take it with you . Thanks for the replies cheers Roughneck
FollowupID: 397904

Reply By: brd - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:19

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:19
Hi Roughneck
One benefit of going down to 15 inch wheels/tyres (assuming the tyre diameter is the same) is that there is a greater depth of tyre to bag out for better grip, when you air down a bit. You can get better bag for the same air pressure.
AnswerID: 144481

Sponsored Links