gps multileg routes

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:08
ThreadID: 28950 Views:1931 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi,
just got this new gps and thankfully it has fire trails as part if the mapping.(Magellan explorist XL).
Can anyone provide an explanation on what is the benifit of using "multileg routes" ...I can see it being of benifit getting from city to city, but track to track escapes me.
Any help appreciated.
cheers
joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:22

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:22
Hi Joe,

I have a magellan meridian platinum which uses much the same system.

I rarely use routes at all. When you can see where you are going it seems pointless.

I think it was more a useful thing when GPSr's didn't have mapping overlays.

These days the platinum only gets turned on for caching. I use an IPaq HX4700 and OziExplorer for moving mapping now with a bluetooth GPSr.

Dave
AnswerID: 144328

Reply By: Joe - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:30

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:30
Thanks Dave,
As you say, you can see where it is your going why bother...I felt I must be wrong thinking that....appreciate your input that it is not worth fiddling with.
Joe
AnswerID: 144330

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:55

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:55
Hello
GPS units are not solely used by people who drive around in 4WD/cars along man made roads/tracks. Multi-leg routes are best suited (and initially designed) for use by those using boats, aircraft and bushwalkers (?) (for example - i.e. those that actually go "off-road" where the path to each route point along a "leg" is (planned to be) straight, very different story if you a following a track. For track work you could still make a route but for it to be of use (besides telling you to turn left or right at intersections) you would need to put a waypoint at every deviation of direction to get true distances and bearings and (near) correct total distance…painful….also most handheld GPS units have a limit on the number of legs in a route so doing this would pose additional problems i.e. you would need multiple routes with multiple legs…so yes you are right – don’t bother fiddling too much but I suggest you use it to get a feel for what it may do for you in other circumstances.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 397842

Follow Up By: Joe - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:37

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:37
Thanks Greg,
A good explanation that puts the units functions in perspective.
joe
FollowupID: 397855

Reply By: arthurking83 - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:24

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:24
Multi leg routes are really only useful if you have a particular point(s) of interest (waypoint) you need to get to.

Sounds like you have the DiscoverAus map SD card also??

This has great mapping detail (as far as I have searched in Vic) and as Dave said, multileg routes are not really useful with this map loaded.

But an example of how multileg routes could be useful...
...You are out on a boat, and a friend has given you some waypoints to follow, to avoid underwater obstacles(etc). Even though there are a thousand ways to get from one point to another, the multileg route your friend has given could help prevent damage to your boat.

AnswerID: 144339

Reply By: Joe - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:43

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:43
Hi Arthur,
Yes it is Discover Aus.
I was able to bring tracks up on it from the Otways(Bridge Track, Seyers Track,etc) and in the High Country located Tom Groggin Track...so I felt that if I can locate these tracks on it's mapping then that level of detail should be fine...

I do not have a boat, but can see how effective it would be in that situation.
thanks
joe
AnswerID: 144364

Sponsored Links