1999 Nissan Patrol St 4.2 Diesel overheating

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:41
ThreadID: 28949 Views:19380 Replies:22 FollowUps:48
This Thread has been Archived
In order to rectify overheating problem as towing 2500kg caravan the Nissan Patrol ST 4.2 Diesel has recently undergone professional radiator cleaning, fiscus hub replacement, fan replacement, fuel injectors replacement and tuning,all oils and hoses replaced and the problems continues to exist.
On our last outing even tuned up the heater to release some heat build up and this assisted marginally on steady inclines.
No problems during normal towing(freeway),however,as soon as a long steady climb or mountain the heat very quickly moves into the extreme hot zone. Drive the vehicle at no higher than 2000 rpm on steep mountain climbs

We are just about at wits end as planning a long trip down south, but , reluctant due to these overheating problems. Can anyone make any suggestions that may have been missed. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:52

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:52
Here is a cut and paste from a recent post about the same matter...... see the rest of the post: Number 28,798..............

Okay; where do I start??? hahaha

The first thing I'd like to say is that mine (and yours by the sound of it), has never actually over-heated (ie: never got to the point where it has boiled and caused me to stop and fix something).

However, it has got right up to almost being in the RED zone at times. The things I've already done (and which were probably a waste of time/money in retrospect) are:

1. New PWR double-sized radiator with free-flowing tubes (so they say)
2. New fan hub
3. New thermostat
4. Cut hole in bonnet and put scoop above turbo
5. Fitted new turbo recently (I thought this MAY have reduced heat a bit as the OE turbo is water-cooled and the new Schwitzer is not), but that wasn't the primary reason for upgrading.
6. Tried removing Lightforce 240s and putting them on top of the bullbar
7. Tried driving with the plastic air-dam underneath the radiator removed
8. Tried various types of anti-freeze/boil stuff
9. Stuck 2 bottles of chit in the radiator that are supposed to seal up any tiny cracks in the head if there are any (can't remember the name of it, but I got it from Repco and it was recommended by somebody on here).
10. Have fitted a VDO water temp gauge with sender unit mounted in top radiator hose
11. Have fitted a EGT gauge to see if there is any relationship between exhaust temps and water temps (there really is no relationship apart from if the engine is running for prolonged periods at high speed....anything over about 105k/h, both temps do go up).
12. New radiator cap
13. New radiator hoses
14. Added a 10" Davies Craig fan in front of air-cond condenser which I can manually turn on....maybe I should upgarde this to a 12" or 14" jobbie?

The only thing that I haven't done yet, and which someone on here suggested I should do (can't remember who it was, but he was a bit smug about how he did things;-)) is to change the impeller in the water pump. The bloke who talked about it said he could fix my problems really easy by fitting a new impeller which would stop cavitation of the water. He would not elaborate, even though a few of us asked him for more info :-((.

I've also thought that maybe I might take the winch off this summer as well as the driving lights and see if the extra air flow assists.

We have had a few quite warm days lately, but I haven't had to go too far and not with the camper on anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that when the Nissan's gauge goes up to around the 3/4 mark, your truck is not over-heating at that point. According to my VDO gauge, the temp in the top hose at that time is around 110oC and it seems as though the concensous of opinion is that up to about 120oC is okay when say, going up a hill....but you wouldn't want to see it up at 120oC all day. I haven't yet gotten the VDO gauge to go to 120oC and so I try not to worry too much. I rely more on the VDO gauge these days (even though the Nissan gauge is still functional). I also tend to drive and change gears according to the EGT gauge as much as anything else.

It has been said on this forum before that the 4.2 motor does not have anywhere near the size water galleries that the Toyota 4.2 motor has. As such, you have this huge mass of motor that has smallish "veins" running through it trying to collect the heat and take it through to the radiator for cooling purposes.

Another thought which I've had recently is to instal another temp sender unit in the intake where the water from the bottom radiator hose is about to re-enter the motor. Having changed turbos, I now have a "blank" bolt where the banjo bolt used to be that had water going to or from the old turbo. I could take this plug out and have it drilled and tapped to take a VDO sender, which I could then take to my gauge via a switch. That way I could switch between top and bottom radiator hoses and see how much cooling the radiator is actually achieving. This is the same thing I have done with my EGT gauge; have a thermocouple above and below the turbo so I can swap between pre-turbo and post-turbo EGTs.

I don't suppose this helps you, other than to say that you don't really have to worry too much as long as your Nissan gauge isn't going too far past 3/4 of the way.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 144310

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:55

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:55
2 other things I've thought of doing, but haven't yet done so.....

a). add a new Davies Craig electric water pump (EWP) into the bottom radiator hose....probably would need to do away with the original water pump impeller if I did this.

b). Do away with the standard cooling fan and add 2 big mutha electric fans......

I too timid to try either of these options unless somebody else says they've done it and it works.
FollowupID: 397776

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 18:42

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 18:42
Roachie, I tried the EWP and Electric controller on a 2.8 TD Nissan, it couldn't put enough water thru to cool it on normal running. Waste of money in that application.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 397787

Follow Up By: Sir Diamond - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 18:53

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 18:53
roachie have you tried removing the head and opening up the bleep y little holes they have in the head gasket to stop restriction in the water flow to the head yet?
cheers
FollowupID: 397788

Follow Up By: Exploder - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 19:00

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 19:00
Did you fit the right one, the 4WD and Pro-Formance car ones pump at a rate of 110L/per minute at full voltage, I would of thought that would have been more than enough water flow.

Sir Diamond> That is a very good idea;It would have an effect if indeed there were a restriction on the gasket between the block and head
FollowupID: 397789

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:53

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:53
G'day Diamond,
Never had the head off the Patrol.....shouldn't have to do that until about 500,000klm.
I think I'll just try to accept that the Patrol is a truck that will go all day , but not at high speeds........ I think I can live with that.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 397830

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:55

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 09:55
Roachie, I look through your list of camping luxuries and you seem to have to take heaps, so much so the drag on your engine must be heaps at the higher speeds. I guess that you have the hotter (in performance terms) engine is to make sure it can cope with that side of the problem. Gearing of the engine to the road is changed and improves the overheating problem in 4th gear rather than 5th as stated below I see.

How many of these overhating vehicles are fitted with oil coolers, bearing in mind that performance vehicles usually require them to be fitted for longevity? I don't see it mentioned in your rig description Roachie. I would have thought the oil pathways would be another coolant avenue.

Roachie andother drag factor you add is the demand to carry so much and you have a roof rack on top to ensure that you achieve that. I know you have to ensure the family go along but can your look to travelling a little lighter somehow? I know that the total mass drag is heaps more than mine and you like to take a generator and all that stuff. I have hung a bit on you before on that. I had to reduce the weight I take for preservation of axles and drive. Not gone to a 6 wheeler yet to cope.

I know some bank managers with my bank, don't necessarily think more is better.

Sir Diamond, I have a good pic of you bestowing a hand on Lady Diamonds' posterior while she has her head in the Jack. Hope you have great Christmas mate. You too of course Roachie - Christmas I mean, not the hand on Lady Diamonds' posterior. ;-)
FollowupID: 397856

Follow Up By: brd - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:21

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:21
Hi Roachie
I was just wondering whether the move to a 5W30 oil (presumably from the recommended 15W40) may be counter productive in relation to overheating issues. Viscosity choice is probably the most important aspect of oil selection, and (I think from memory??) a minimum 12.5 cSt viscosity is required for good hydrodymanic lubrication, at what ever temperature the oil is. According to my old viscosity charts, at 80C, a 5W30 would be roughly the minimum, while a 15W40 would be about 16.5 cSt ( a healthy margin).

The 80C measured oil temperature is from the oil pool, and does not reflect the temperature at the many loaded parts of the engine, where the actual temperature affected viscosity is most important. Temperatures around bearings and piston rings will be much higher than 80C.

I'd be interested to know how you go with it. Amsoil is a good oil, and its additive package may over ride the viscosity aspect to some degree, but if you see the oil temp increase, it will be due to oil film rupturing...and accelerated wear.

All the best.
FollowupID: 398023

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:08

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:08
Thanks for the info there brd. I am a little sceptical about using the 5w30 oil, but the AMSOIL agent says that he runs in his GQ ute. However, I am mindful that his GQ ute is a farm-type truck with no turbo and unlikely to be called upon to drive hour upon hour on highways at 100k/h with a gross mass of about 4.5T. I certainly will be keeping a close eye on the oil temp and pressure gauges once I do change over. I will also be having the 1st sample analysed@ around 4,000klm.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 398033

Follow Up By: Russell from Synforce Lubricants - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 16:22

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 16:22
g'day roachie, long time no seee eh

as one of the tasks of an oil is to take away heat, any radical change in viscosity can effect the heat trabsfer away from components.

heat transfer (rate) is effected by flow, in other words to get the most you cave to avhieve the right flow. if the oils is passing over the components too fast (thin oil) then the oil will not have had the opportunity ot have absorbed the heat from the component.

thick oil will stay too long and even cause the component to heat up by not taking the heat away quick enough.

when playing with different viscosities be careful that you are not going too far either way and causing either of the above too happen.

there are other factors within the design of an oil that will also tend to cause over heating, one being the shear strength of the oil itself, that is the ability for the oils film not to brake down or "shear" leaving little or bad lubrication that will obviously cause an increase in friction hence heat. "shear stability index"

the ability of the oil to resist viscosity change is another factor that can cause heat, as if the oils viscosity is in a loss situation then the heat transfer rate is also effected as the oil will have thinned out at temperature. "viscosity index"

not suggesting that any of this is your problem, but to be aware of some of the things that may well contribute to it. j

merry christmas to you all.
FollowupID: 398422

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:20

Wednesday, Dec 21, 2005 at 19:20
G'day Russell,
Yeh, long time no hear!!! I've been hangin' around here, but where have you been? I haven't seen you on this site for donkey's ages.
Thanks for that info.....it certainly is a juggling act to get all the different aspects "just right".
All the very best to you and yours for the new year and a happy christmas too.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 398445

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:53

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:53
If you have been following others overheating problems when towing with the Nissan 4.2, it sounds as if it is a internal water jacket problem in the block, being that they are too small and they do not allowing enough water volume to pass throe the block to remove the heat.

So basically there is nothing that can been done that could be guaranteed to fix the problem short of a new block with a larger water jacket.

AnswerID: 144311

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:04

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:04
They only had one pump when I experimented with it.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 397815

Reply By: Banjo 1 - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 18:10

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 18:10
Intersted in the cost of the injector replacement and what that was expected to achieve.... ? Sounds like that may have been an expensive factor in the overall recommendation from the mechanical people. Re the advice of others - "may be little you can do, because of flow rates through the block" - that leads me to think that the only avenue you might have is to cool the water better before it gets back into that heated engine block ? There are after market twin core radiators about - all brass and solder re the old fashioned (better lifespan) method of manufacture - greater cooling efficiency - there may be one for your model - it may fit in. If we ponder the factors that slow down water flow (presuming the pump is ok) maybe a higher flow-rate thermostat, if there is such a beast. BOL.
AnswerID: 144314

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 19:15

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 19:15
Oz 2,
I have owned 2 GQ's. First one never towed anything other than a box trailer with bikes in it. It clocked over 600,00 Kms without a problem. Still going strong today with new owner.

My present GQ did have the so called "overheating" problem, All fixed now though after many hours testing up bulli pass.

BUT....as much as the 4.2 is a fantastic motor.....the engineers who designed it NEVER did any testing in relation to loads.

From my expierences with it, its not good enough for towing big loads...Sorry to rattle a some apples here guys, but its true. Unless your prepared to spend endless amounts of dollars trying to fix the problem as is in Roachies case (not having ago at u here Roachie ok) But the problem is in the design of the water jackets in the head and block. Also standard radiator is next to useless for engine size.

The only way to fix it is to strip down the motor, open up the water jackets professionally and modify gaskets to suit flow diameter (as stated already).

This is a huge and expensive job to do. Nissan should have fixed this problem way back in around 1994 when by then, they knew they had "overheating" problems. They could have easily designed better water flow through the engine but they decided not to. So here we are, after more than 17 years and nothing was done to fix this problem.

Worst part is, we (the public) pay a very high price when buying a GU expecting it to do the job, but it wont do the job when towing 2500kg up hill. And we pay that price knowing full well, the engine cant tow without getting damn hot.
Very sad but thats just how it is until the 4.2 ends production.
Ange
AnswerID: 144320

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 19:29

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 19:29
Hi guys
Had the same problem with a mazda R2 diesel.
They changed heads from previous engines, major problems with water jackets clogging. The japs are good but stuff up at times
Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 397811

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:35

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:35
Nissan should have fixed this problem way back in around 1994 when by then, they knew they had "overheating" problems.

It hasnt been a real issue on non turbo models though. Mine was fine towin until I turboed it
FollowupID: 397822

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 07:31

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 07:31
Bruce,
When you put the turbo on, you obviously had overheating problems.... what did you do to fix it??
FollowupID: 397850

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:42

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:42
Replaced everything from the temp guage waterpump, radiator, hoses, cap, temp gauge sender on the block, clutchfan, removed the NISSAN sign from the grill (blocks 17% of airflow!), etc.

I Dont tow very often, but have done to Murray Sunset, and had no issues.
FollowupID: 397872

Reply By: Philip A - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:26

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:26
I have had no direct experience with this but suggest that you try a product called Redline "Waterwetter".
It claims to make the radiator coolant conduct more heat from the block surfaces.
I have heard trhat it is succesful in racing in the US and here, and it is apparently is not a hiclone.
Look up Redline on the net. it is not cheap. Redline is a well known company for expensive oils.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 144324

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:36

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:36
Roachie has tried water wetter as have others..
FollowupID: 397823

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:45

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:45
Yep, I tried it too and it didn't make any noticeable difference
FollowupID: 397824

Reply By: brd - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:37

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:37
Hi Oz 2
Since you're in a bit of a bind, and none of our customers have mentioned it, we have helped several hundred owners of small pre-combustion diesels eliminate overheating problems over the years.

When it is clearly not a cooling system issue, there is an excellent chance our Flushing Oil Concentrate (FOC) will rectify the problem. We have numerous customers who have spent $3000-$4000 on big core ratiators, fans, pumps, thermostats, etc, etc...all to no avail.

If the oil gets filthy quickly, or stains your hands when you change it, you will have a sludge issue, which may be sufficient to cause the overheating. If so, this FOC will correct the problem, by removing what is normally pretty insoluble sludge.

If you would like more information, it might be better to contact me off this thread.

Regards
Brid Walker
COST EFFECTIVE MAINTENANCE
www.costeffective.com.au
sales@costeffective.com.au
AnswerID: 144331

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:49

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:49
How about sending a free sample of your wares for a 'test'.. Willing to use my GQ as a trial..
FollowupID: 397828

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:55

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 21:55
Truckster, this is the same chit that I sent you.....didn't do anything for my truck; what about yours?
FollowupID: 397831

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:18

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:18
Roachie,

I was wondering if it was the same stuff you used, and how long it would take for you to clarify your own testing results with the product. I Always enjoy your responses as they shortcut my products to test to stop my temp issue. One day I'll find a product that I can test first and advise you that it also didn't work (lol).

Cheers mate Trevor.
FollowupID: 397833

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:23

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:23
G'day Trevor,

Yeh, there is one product you could try first and let me know the result and then if you like it I might follow your actions.................
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

6.5L Chev V8....HAHAHAHAHAHA
FollowupID: 397834

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:43

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:43
Roachie,

I have to admit, I have seriously looked at this option but feel I would need the services of someone like yourself to organise the MOOLAH (at a good rate of course). This being no probs for you I would certainly be in a better position to convince my bank manager (read SWIMBO) to go ahaed with the trial.
Wetting myself with your idea though.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 397836

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:40

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:40
Shhhhh roachie.. Im going for the freeby
FollowupID: 397871

Reply By: Bullwinkle - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:32

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:32
Oz 2; You say you don't take it above 2000rpm going up a hill. I know in my one if I let it "lug" too much ( below 2400 towing & loaded ) it'll get real hot real soon. I've found if I drop it down a cog & let it do 2500 - 3200 it seems to pull better & cooler. I normally tow in 4th ( for the gearbox's sake ) but even if I try, 2 horses in the float & all the gear on the back at 100k's - it just doesn't rev enough & gets warm. Drop it into 4th - higher revs/less load & the temperature drops & fairly quickly. I've owned a GQ & a GU, both seem to run hot but if they're nursed a bit they seem to tick over for ever. I agree with the other "postee" who reckons they're fine on their own, just not built properly for big loads. Cheers.....
AnswerID: 144340

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:46

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:46
Spot on mate......I should've picked up on that comment too...

If you fit a Pyro gauge (see Thermoguard Instruments), you will soon see how much hotter the exhaust is if you allow the motor to lug. I can drop the EGT's down by 100oC simply by dropping back to 4th gear to get up a long, not-too-steep hill. It would probably follow, logically speaking, that if the exhaust gases are getting a lot hotter, then that would have a flow-on effect on the water temp. As I said earlier, I tend to drive and change gears by the EGT as much as the tacho these days.
FollowupID: 397839

Reply By: squiz - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:37

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:37
Just thought I would add my experience towing a caravan when loaded is close
to 3000kg.
My nissan is the 2003 TDI6 model, and haven't had this problem with heat.
Have never seen the original gauge go above half way. Live in Alice Sprigs.
I rev it rather then lug it up hills but I'm sure you have tried that .
The one mode I keep looking at is that plastic expansion/overflow bottle
that is to close to my second battery.
What do you thing of an extra dirtbike rad in that curcuit with an overflow bottle.
I would shift it to a better place?
AnswerID: 144342

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:57

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:57
Squiz,

Choice idea about the dirt bike radiator, I have been trying to think of an idea on where and how I can increase the size of water volume and add another section of radiator. I could fit the dirtbike rad in behind bullbar and cut slots in the bar for ventilation (maybe???).
Thanks a zillion. Another thing for me to nut out and possibly solve this frustrating situation.
I definately agree that the vehicle does not like to be lugged at low RPM. I find up to about 3000RPM is good, much over this and it runs hot, under 2000RPM and it runs hot. And when the hills are BIG, EVERY RPM it runs HOT.
All the modifications I have done have helped but just recently my car has gone back to its age old prob, just not as bad as before modifications.

Thanks again Trevor.
FollowupID: 397843

Follow Up By: ACDC - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:54

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:54
Years ago i had a 4wd v8 toyota dyna which would get hot so i fitted a aux radiator,used radiator from a mini minor got the radiator man to fit 19mm inlet and outlets it worked great!
FollowupID: 397913

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:09

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:09
Just a thought Trevor.
If you are going to try a small extra radiator, try looking at a Suzuki Swift, you know the 3 cylinder ones.
A nice small radiator and they come with an electric fan bolted to them.
Food for thought
FollowupID: 397959

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:19

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 22:19
Thanks cruiser, I will keep it in the brainbox ( message to me: here that brain, keep that idea LOL) as I'm sure early next year there will be something like this added to the already overloaded truck. Unless a miracle happens and some one finds the holy grail of Nissanology..... how to stop a 4.2 from overheating, before I add this.
Cheers and merry xmas.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 397962

Reply By: ACDC - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 23:45

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 23:45
Yeep i also have a gq 4.2 turbo which gets hot towing the off road caravan it gets to 3/4 on the gauge i have a 3 core radiator hi flow thermostat still the same have learned to live with it.(this is only on hills etc).
AnswerID: 144346

Reply By: Maddmav - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 00:31

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 00:31
Well Oz 2

I guess it's all said above.

Just to say that the biggest point mentioned in a few above is the real fact that the original radiator is under capacity for the truck.

I have done some and most the same to fix overheating on uphill grades. the only result was to fit a 3 row radiator.

After doing so I can now hit the hills towing the van (1950Kg) and the highest the needle gets is just under half.

Good luck
V
AnswerID: 144350

Reply By: kimtone - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 06:25

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 06:25
i know this doesn,t help OZ2 but does the 3.0 ltr turbo have the same problem ,cause I was planning trip up north towing a offroad camper trailer about 800-900kg loaded and had dicided on a patrol but the overheating concerns me would appreciate your thoughts.thanks
AnswerID: 144353

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:38

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:38
g'day kimtone
i hav'nt had any over heating prblems with my 3.0ltd towing the caravan, even in some pretty hot places.
cheers toohey.
FollowupID: 397852

Follow Up By: Leroy - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:03

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:03
I've been lugging a tandem (which is heavy on it's own) with sleepers and concrete loaded around the place with air con on and no issues this past week. I've towed a furniture removal trailer up and down the hume hwy sitting on the speed limit with no issues also.

Leroy
FollowupID: 397857

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:13

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 10:13
G'day

Have just travelled 20,000k towing our off road trailer (around 1,000kg all up) with the GUIV (manual) No overheating problems or any real movement of the temp gauge. Lots of 4th gear with high range engaged on the dirt and 30 plus degree temps on occassion.

Towed at 100kph on good roads and 80kph on dirt. Kept the engine in the torque band and used 4th on the hills.

The GUIV towed very well with no problems.

Regards

Paul
FollowupID: 397858

Reply By: Big Woody - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 07:13

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 07:13
HI All,

I have an 80 series 1HZ diesel with aftermarket Mike Vine turbo which has been fitted since the same day it rolled off the showroom floor (12/90). I have set this truck up for heavy and long distance towing in NT and FNQ and told them this when I asked them to set up the turbo. Remember in 1990 we did not know how long the 1HZ would last either so it was all a bit of a gamble. It now has 285,000km on the clock and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes even after a long heavy towing run.

Part of the Mike Vine installation included a remotely fitted mini radiator tapped off the heater hoses to increase the coolant capacity. This sits behind the bullbar and the air blows through the winch slot.

They also fitted came off a fitting near the oil filter with remote lines and fitted an external oil cooler for the engine oil to run through to keep it cooler. This makes sense because the engine hasn't really overheated until the oil gets too hot to do it's job.

Have fitted a triple core (copper) radiator as I believe the copper disperses heat better than aluminium.
I have also spaced up the hinges at the rear of the bonnet to allow engine bay heat to escape.

This truck has never been hot in it's life and never been above 2/3rd's on the temp guage. This has been towing big caravans, a 2750kg trailer sailer, and often a car trailer loaded to it's limit.

A couple of practical measures could be as follows:

1. I recently posted a thread about A/C turning off when the temp rose. This is nowhere near overheating but from the wise comments from this forum I now understand this to be a safety switch which will do this to protect the motor. So I guess if Nissan do not have this switch it would be wise to make sure your A/C is turned off.

2. Aerodynamics play a big part in labouring of an engine causing overheating. I believe that unless absolutely necessary, in keeping roof racks etc. to a minimum. I know years ago my diesel troppy dropped 4 mpg when I bolted the roof rack on.

3. Again to do with labouring the engine I had a 2.8 diesel hilux that had temp problems when I fitted 33x12.5 tyres because it geared up the final drive too much. As mentioned above I also stay in 4th gear when towing the heavy loads and still sit on 100km/h all day. It does use a bit more fuel though and is probably better to sit on 90km/h if possible. I still run 265's which may help a little.

4. I also run a good quality synthetic oil in the engine as friction causes heat so I will do anything to keep the friction to a minimum.

Finally none of the extra's we had fitted to the cruiser to keep it cool were too expensive. The radiator, oil cooler, extra water cooler probably added $1000 to the whole job but at the end of the day I have a truck that does the job that I have it for very well.

I hope this helps,
Brett

AnswerID: 144355

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:24

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 11:24
Brett,

I agree that the little bit extra $$ initially is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for any length of time. Mike Vine, is he down Capalaba way?
The mini radiator is something I have been trying to create in my mind before I get it built (to no avail so far). I would like to see a photo of how yours looks or if Mike Vine has photo's maybe I could go down and talk to him.
Any info is good info, people can do with it what they want.
The Nissan has the a/c cutout switch as well but they did bring out another sender unit that cut the a/c off at higher engine temps for those who where continually running without a/c with original a/c cutoff sender.
Thanks for any forthcoming info.
Regards Trevor.

FollowupID: 397867

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:04

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:04
Hi Trevor,

Yes Mike Vine is at Capalaba.
So far within my family we have had Mike fit turbo's to an 60 series Sahara diesel, 2 x 92 hilux diesels, 75 series diesel cruiser ute, and my 80 series cruiser 1HZ.

I would say Mike's methods may have changed a lot since he fitted the turbo to the 80 series and he has probably got some better ideas now, but I still reckon he would be one of the best turbo specialists in the country. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I have just taken a couple of photo's but I don't yet know how to include them in a post so I will see if I can figure it out tonight.

The water cooler (mini radiator) is about 300mm wide x 150mm high.
The oil cooler is about 300 x 300mm.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 397914

Reply By: Bullwinkle - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:00

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:00
Yeah - Big Woody just reminded me of something else. I used to run Penrite HPR Diesel ( 20W 60 ) in the 4.2. Was told some time ago that oil was too heavy for it. Changed to normal 15W 40 and there was a noticable drop in my engine temp when working. It still gets hot when pulling up big hills etc, but as a whole it runs about 3 needle widths cooler with the "thinner" oil. Cheers....
AnswerID: 144358

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:27

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 08:27
I have a 60 Series Diesel Cruiser with after market water cooled Turbo. This vehicle would run 3/4 hot if you gave it a bootfull on the highway & go into the red on a long drawn out hill. Took me ages to find the problem, it turned out to be the oil cooler in front of the air con condensor blocking airflow, which was fitted when the Turbo was installed. The 2H diesel has oil galleries inside the block for cooling & can do without the oil cooler. I removed the oil cooler cleaned it out for useing as a mini radiator, fitted it inside the wheel arch where it got airflo from the fan, connected it inline to the waterflow to the Turbo & have never had a cooling problem since. Now runs on a 1/4 ( temp gauge ) on road & never gets past 1/2 even with the air on. When it gets to 1/2 the viscous fan cuts in & drags it back to a 1/4. Try this it works!
AnswerID: 144359

Reply By: brd - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 13:04

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 13:04
Can anyone comment if the Patrol 4.2's in question overheat right from new, or do they get worse with age?

Because if they get worse with time, it is a matter of deteriorating performance of one or more components. If you have to add on additional cooling, or re-engineercoolant passageways in an attempt to correct things, then it is a band aid fix.

If they run hot from new, such additional cooling means is justified. Be interested to hear some first hand comment. Thanks
AnswerID: 144384

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:06

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:06
brd,

Mine was 2 weeks old with 1900km on the clock first time I cooked it. Was not taking notice and did not expect to see such problems so early on. Ran it in without trailer and the first time I dumped the trailer on ......... cop this. Was not nice to say the least.
Mine has actually got better with age (now 240000km) due to all the modifications I have put it through.

Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 397915

Follow Up By: squiz - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:13

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:13
The 2003 4.2 intercooled engine also got the bigger rad from the
4.8 petrol engine. So this may be why I haven't had the heat problem yet. I know with almost 3000kg of all roads caravan behind me I've
been working the GU hard enough at times.
FollowupID: 397938

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:33

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 21:33
Squiz,

Nissan H/O are a strange mob you know, this radiator replacement was suggested by the one dealership that was really trying to help solve mine and other people's heat problem, but H/O said this would not solve the problem and refused to try it. They said I could try it at my own expense but they would not.
I agree that the weight you are towing is sufficient to make mine overheat, so there must be something in the differences between our two vehicles or our driving styles or both.
Thanks for the info.

Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 397946

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:35

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:35
at 1900klms the engine would have been new and tight .. I wouldnt have been towing, but then Ive always run things in for longer than suggested. it worked for me over the years
FollowupID: 398028

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 15:07

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 15:07
Hi Trucky,

In an ideal world that is the best situation (apparently) but I talk to plenty of truck drivers who dump the trailer straight on the back of brand spankers who then proceed to get a million or more k's out of their engines. This engine has been babied compared to other vehicles I have owned, the cruiser had just 34km on it when the trailer was first dumped behind that one. I'm not for a minute saying this is the best method to run in a vehicle, truth is I really don't know the best run in method but in my situation I have been unable to run them in for any longer than I have on each vehicle. Nissan handbook if I remember right suggest not to tow before 2000km ?? so I presume they think it must be alright to do so after these K's or surely they would state when to start towing. I've not really bothered to find out how to best maximise the life of the engines (apart from regular oil changes ect) as previous to this vehicle I have always only wanted and needed to keep them going for 2 years and then trade them, I don't know why but my opinion of this vehicle is to maintain and keep for many more years so I am trying to look after it as best I can. So far it is almost 5yr old and 240000 km with no sign of slowing down (touching wood).
Very best for the festive season to you and your family.

Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 398055

Reply By: Austravel - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:06

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 16:06
Hi everyone,

Looks like this is a topic that effects quite a few. What interests me is that only some report to have the problem. If the problem is the restriction in the water galleries then all must have the potential of overheating. If it's the water galleries then I can't see how a bigger radiator or high volume water pump can help. This will simply increase the efficiency of heat transfer but not necessarily increase the overall heat reduction to a level we need. It's the same principle I use in demonstrating heat processes in a solar water prac. Pretty much if the surface area of the water galleries is to small then the problem is transferring enough heat across the interface. If the surface is small to the extreme then even running cold water through will not achieve the effect we need. In my case I've noticed that the engine mass appears to be acting as a thermal tank/heat soak, there is a lag and lead in heat dissipation when the engine is loaded. This tells me that either there is not enough cooling which has been disproved by Roachie, various other members and a turbo specialist I've spoken to. This is by fitting large radiators and high flow water pumps that fail to solve the problem. The other is that there is enough cooling capacity but we can't get the heat to transfer across to the cooling medium fast enough.

The other problem I see with high volume cooling pumps if the case is right with our small galleries is: by increasing flow across an orifice, this being small to large diameter (or vise versa) you get a pressure drop across the restriction. If the pressure drop is large enough you can get flashing of coolant to steam in the low-pressure region. Not saying it's happening but the potential is very real if the flow is high enough or the area reduction is large enough.

Two fixes that have been suggested that may (may, may) have merit if it's the small galleries. One, find a coolant that has a higher heat transfer rate. And two, is to have more cooling via the oil. So an oil cooler, as suggest above. This could work as one of the primary roles of oil is as a heat dissipater. No use using a small radiator it'd need to be big and water-cooled would be much better, especially to those with the larger radiators. Those with an excess capacity for cooling in their radiators could easily use it for the oil cooler. Not sure were we could fit the damn thing as it would need to be a reasonable size.

So far this is just theory on my behalf, maybe experts in this field will say practically it won't work. Be nice to know though and may not be that expensive.
AnswerID: 144399

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:27

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 17:27
Hi Austravel,

Part of the reason I have been interested in trying to add an extra (small) radiator is to A) increase volume of water to slow down the onset of this heating problem and B) cool the water down quicker when the car gets a chance to do so ie: when it's not working so hard.
What you say above makes sense to me but the oil temp is being notated in Roachie's truck and from what I can gather oil temp is not an issue in his car (maybe he will correct me).
Maybe that was what I saw on a GU ute out at Moree, I thought it was his a/c condensor bolted to the roof of his truck (upright ... made his truck need a clearance of 3meters at a guess) but maybe it was an oil cooler as you suggest.
The only other cheap suggestion I have is to irrigate the radiator when it gets hot. Wiper motor, small water bottle say 5lts and garden watering hose (small black pipe) around edge of radiator. When motor starts to run warm..... on with the wiper motor and water should cool things down a bit ??? Haven't tried this but have had this idea for a while, I just wanted to solve the problem as opposed to masking it. Maybe I'll have to settle for masking it :-((

Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 397918

Follow Up By: Austravel - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:48

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 18:48
Hi Trevor,

The overheating may not show up in the oil, though should to a degree, depending on the time the engine is at the elevated temp and the heat transfer to the oil. I'm suggesting using the oil as an added thermal pool that can be used to disipate the heat load on the motor.

The irrigated radiator will only work if the drop in temp is greater than the energy increase due to the small galleries.

Ie if the problem is really the galleries the only fix is something that will lower the existing coolant to the same offset, increase the heat transfer rate in the coolant or pull the heat out by some other method. Hence the reason the oil cooler was suggested to me.

Be good to have endless amounts of money to test all these fixes.

FollowupID: 397921

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 19:54

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 19:54
I run an oil temp gauge with the sender unit mounted at the back of the sump, about 2" above the sump plug. The oil has never gone above 80oC in the sump.
My understanding of the 4.2TD is that there is a factory oil cooler on the side of the block....where the 2 filters are located. However, it might be an idea to fit an extra cooler, I agree.
I am currently using AMSOIL (100% synthetic) 15w40 which has done 17,000klm. I have already bought the next lot of oil to put in it; this time I've bought 5w30. I am hoping this will have more heat dissipation properties too. I reckon I'll change the oil at 20,000klm whether it needs it or not.
The other thing I'm becoming more convinced I should do, is to fit a temp sender unit in the section of motor where the bottom radiator hose connects . As I've said before, now that i have a new turbo which is not water cooled, there is a blank brass plug/bolt that I could use to mount it. At least then I could see what the water temp is after it has been cooled by the radiator, right before it re-enters the motor. That would tell whether my bullbar, winch and driving lights are preventing the radiator from doing it's job.......after all, if the top radiator temp is 110oC and the bottom radiator sender shows 105oC; that would be a fair indication that "Houston, we have a problem".
FollowupID: 397925

Reply By: Bullwinkle - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:04

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:04
One thing we all have to work out is - what exactly is "overheating" Just because the guage is high doesn't mean it's overheating. Read the owners manual. It has to get up into the "H" bit before you should worry about it. I've had 'em sitting a needle width below "H" for 1200k's without any damage. Just because the air-con. switches off, doesn't mean it's overheating!
AnswerID: 144455

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:09

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:09
Spot-on Bullwinkle......

This is the exact question I've been asking for many many months now. That is also the reason why I fitted the extra VDO gauge, so I could see WHAT the temp actually is.......not just some arbitrary position somewhere between "C" and "H".

Mine has never "boiled" and I don't know that anybody else's 4.2TD has either. With regard to the later models (ie: 4.2TDi), they may well have been fitted with a differently-calibrated temp-sender. I don't believe the slightly bigger radiator would be enough to do the job......my huge PWR aluminium radiator's capacity would leave the Nissan's bigger one (from 4.8 petrol and 4.2TDi) for dead as far as coolojng capacity is concerned....at least I bloddy-well hope it does!!!

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 398015

Reply By: desert - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:22

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:22
It's all objective reasoning. Just what is overheating? Where on the Nissan gauge does the needle show you "overheating"? More to the point, at what stage does the needle position lead you to think it's too hot? Perhaps Roachie could post actual temperature readings, using the new VDO gauge, then co-relate them to the needle position of the Nissan gauge?
AnswerID: 144508

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 13:33
Yeh mate, no worries.....I have posted this info up on here a few times before......

The VDO gets to about 105 to 110oC before the Nissan's gauge moves up to the vertical position (ie: it starts to show that it's getting off it's "normal" position at around 107oC).
The Nissan gauge then seems to climb at a reasonably quick rate to around 3/4 of the way across, whilst the VDO gauge is reading just over 110oC.
Since fitting the VDO gauge I haven't had it any hotter than that (ie: I have not ever had the Nissan gauge into the "H" zone at the extreme right hand side, although it has been very close.....but that was before the VDO gauge was fitted. Unfortunately the VDO gauge only goes as high as 120oC, so I don't know what'll happen or what I'll be thinking if it ever gets that high!!! ;-))
FollowupID: 398044

Follow Up By: desert - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:04

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 21:04
Thanks for that Roachie. Those figures are interesting. Just today I noticed that a small white dot near the base of the factory needle, equates to the :normal" needle position, which at the tip is at the point where the needle just touches the "water" pictorial on the gauge. The only time my needle went "hotter" was last August whilst traversing the Gibson Desert. Over trackless sand in High 2nd the temp began to climb to around the 2/3rds region. I stopped and shifted to Low 4th (which is between H1 and H2 with Marks Rock-crawler gears) and then temps started to come back down to the normal position again. At engine speed of 2200 to 2400 rpm, EGT's were 600F, quite good I thought.
FollowupID: 398135

Reply By: Dunedigger - Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 18:42

Monday, Dec 19, 2005 at 18:42
Been there done that with a Nissan Patrol. While towing heavy loads (horse float ) up steep hills the only solution I found was to change down a gear and take my foot off the pedal a bit. In one case actually change down into low range and crawl up the hill. Now i have a 79 Land cruiser I don't have the problem !

Solution . . . Perhaps conversion to diesel gas More power , less fuel lower EGT

Good luck

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 144556

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:26

Tuesday, Dec 20, 2005 at 08:26
On behalf of all the 3.0 Litre Diesel owners I have to say this,buy a 3.0 litre they tow better than the 4.2 and do not overheat.
Regards
AnswerID: 144645

Reply By: Geoff C - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:30

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:30
G'day, I thought I would take time to help you out. I am a diesel mechanic for many years with plenty of experience in most currently produced large and small diesels, and I can tell you your problem IS airflow.
I had a GQ 4.2 diesel with the same problem, and did what you did. I tow plenty of weight when I tow, and long distances. The best temp I recorded @ the themostat housing was 122 degrees towing 1.5t 300 klms on a 46 degree summer day! Mine used to melt the rubber parts of the thermostat while I was trying to get to the guts of the problem. I have always towed in top gear, both in my GQ and now in my 3lt GU after the standard g'box mod was done{ now done 110,000 klms}
I damaged the radiator one bush trip water crossing and fitted a 3 row radiator which made no difference, I also fitted a turbo kit myself and although it pulled like a champion in any circumstance, it still got hot.
I fitted 2 non genuine viscous fan hubs over the time {incl electric fan mods} and still it ran hot climbing hills or pulling weight.
I bit the bullet and replaced the hub with a genuine unit {$340 trade vs $90} and it fixed the problem immediately!!!!!! You see the Davies Craig unit also suits a Nissan powered VL commodore, this is what pricked my ears when I bought the second one. An unleaded engine must run @ 88 degrees or more for the cat conv to work, while the 4.2 diesel themostat is 76 degrees. See the issue????
Nobody wanted to listen to me when I went back to Repco to prove my theory about their hubs NOT suitable for diesels, its all about sales I guess.
You can choose 1 of 2 ways to fix your problem. First obviosly, replace hub with a GENUINE HUB IN A NISSAN MARKED BOX at consideable cost.
I helped a mate 2 weeks ago with his 98 GU 4.2 diesel with identicle problem using a tube {approx 18ml} of silicone which John Deere sell for their viscous hubs. His was a 2 piece bolt together type, and again it cured it immediately!!!
Hence your second option.
I hope I am helpfull to you but please dont bother with different oils, 4th gears, higher revs etc. I never needed to go past 2500 revs after the turbo and with the new hub the temp would rise 1 to 2 needle widths before you could hear the fan cut in and the guage would drop instantaneously!
Please email me if you have any questions on gvcane@optusnet.com.au
AnswerID: 146803

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:45

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:45
Geoff,

Thanks for your valuable input into this long-running debate.

I have previously replaced my viscous hub with the genuine Nissan jobbie for $340- and also have a 10" Davies Craig fan in front.

Maybe I need to add some extra silicon to the Nissan hub anyway?

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks and Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 400300

Reply By: hoodoo75 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:51
Hi, I have been reading this thread with great interest for about a month now and have finally decided to post a reply. I have a 2002 Nissan Patrol ST Turbo ute that was purchased new from Gatton Autos. It is about the fourth or fifth Nissan Patrol we have had and I have had a gutful of its overheating problem. The newer model (2005 Intercooled ST ute) that we also own does not seem to suffer from the same problem but the 2002 model is a complete dog. Admittedly the 2005 model has not been tried as much as the earlier model.

The 2002 model has been to Armstrong Autos here in Toowoomba more times than I have had hot dinners. As I write this, it is in having the gearbox out for the second time - I can handle that - but the thing that is really making me irate is I cannot tow a damm thing without it getting hot!! I have a boat and trailer which combined weighs 1.75 tonne and I cannot tow this up the Toowoomba range without stopping and waiting for the temperature to come back down - regardless of the time of day, the season, revs or gears. We have a 2003 Holden Jackaroo which walks all over the ute in terms of overheating.

Nissan Australia have sent me an internal memo which says that is is normal for the gauge to sit anywhere between the halfway point and high. This is fine but if it is sitting 5mm off high all the way from Hervey Bay back to Toowoomba then there must be damage being done to it somewhere. The fact that the aircon cuts out as soon as the engine gets hot has got to be a problem in QLD in summer!! The head mechanic down at Armstong's has sat in the vehicle with me whilst towing the boat up the range and he was really concerned. This vehicle is still under warranty and I will be asking Nissan - whatever it takes - to fix it. I don't believe in spending $60000-$70000 on a top of the line model which can't even drag a wet hanky. I have a Nissan specialist coming up from Brisbane to look into it further.

I would be interested to hear of any success stories regarding this matter as I will be forwarding this thread to Nissan.

Thanks, Andy.

By the way, this will be the last Nissan we will ever own. I can't wait to get rid of it - maybe an F truck in the new year!
AnswerID: 147558

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:15

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:15
G'day Andy,
Nobody seems to have a magic wand for this issue......note I still do not call it a "problem" as such. I have spent chit-loads of cash trying to get to the bottom of this "issue". I am convinced the Temp gauge is overly sensitive and that Nissan is right about not worrying when you see the gauge climb right up to the start of the "H" zone.

I have installed a VDO gauge in the top hose and when the Nissan's standard gauge shows almost into the "H" zone, the VDO is around 120oC. Thsi temp is considered okay for short periods (like climbing a hill with a load on).

To prove my point, on the Friday before New Year it was about 44oC here where we live in SA. We were headed for the Murray to camp for the weekend, camper trailer on the back and all loaded up to about a GCM of around 4.5Tonne. I have previously disconnected the plug to the switch in the bottom radiator tank that turns the air con off. And so it was that we headed off on this bloody hot afternoon and I was determined to see if I could break this motor. For the whole way (about 250klm) up hills etc, I watched as the temp gauges got hotter. The oil temp gauge showed about 100oC most of the time. The water gauges were on "H" and 120oC, but the EGT was normal at around 480oC in the manifold and 330oC in the dump pipe. I figured if the motor blows it'll be a good excuse to get a big 6.5 Chev V8 turbo fitted (as I am VERY happy with the Nissan overall and do not want to get rid of it and try to set-up a new truck from scratch for at least another 5 years). But the good old 4.2 hung in there.....despite being in the Hot zone for about 3 hours continously, there was never any sign that I was causing it any distress.....no loss of power....no loss of coolant etc etc.

Try not to worry about the temp gauge going up; it is normal even though my old head still tells me to worry!!!

Cheers

Roachie

PS: I too would love a big Effie 7.3 power stroker, but not real practical for my particular style of use (windy bush tracks etc)
FollowupID: 400920

Follow Up By: hoodoo75 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 15:59

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 15:59
Roachie,
I don't feel as confident as you do about the overheating issue. As far as I understand, the thermostat is set at approx 90 degrees and should run somewhere between 90-105 and a few specialists have told me that if the vehicle is running constantly at 120 degrees then there is damage occuring. But the point here that I am trying to make is why should I have to put up with what seems to be a factory defect that Nissan should have fixed way back when it was first discovered? I cannot see the sense in spending my money trying to fix a problem when the vehicle is still under warranty. I bought the vehicle in good faith and I spent the extra money buying something with a bit of clout (not a little 2-wheel drive Hilux). My vehicle is new, it has done only 60000km, but that aside, we have - or have had - other vehicles that are less powerful but manage under a load quite easily. Basically, if Nissan doesn't see this as a problem, then I need to see some sort of guarantee from them that in a few years when it has a hell of a lot more kms on the clock, the engine is going to be no more affected by this than it was on the day it was driven off the ship.

Finally, my temperature gauge doesn't just sit at the start of or near the H zone. It keeps on climbing and goes beyond the red if I don't stop.

Thanks,
Andy
FollowupID: 400935

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:39

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 17:39
Hi Hoodoo,

If they find a fix for you can you post it here. I've got the exact same drama, like you if I kept the foot down I'm sure the needle would just keep climbing until....................
FollowupID: 400949

Sponsored Links