Engine Dust protection

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:23
ThreadID: 28937 Views:2069 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
What advice or viewpoints are there on dustprotection for engines when passing headon say a road train in a cloud of dust?

Usually I would pull off the side if possible and let the road train pass for safety etc but should I shut the engine down to prevent it sucking the dust into the air filter?

I would normally just keep driving if it was just another 4WD.

Or would the amount of dust caught from a passing road train be not worthy of such precaution?

What is the difference in amount of dust caught by snorkel or no snorkel?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:46

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:46
Alan,

Moving to the side of the road When a road train passes is a good idea not only to avoid a lot of dust but also the lack of visibility.

Dust will get into the air filter regardless of a snorkel being fitted or not. Having a snorkel the air intake is a lot higher and there is less dust. The head of the snorkel can also be turned o face the back of the vehicle if you are in a lot of dust.

I am now using the genuine air filter, after trying the aftermarket ones, and have found that they last longer as they can be washed and cleaned.

Dust is a part of driving and the only way to beat it is to keep the air filter clean.

Wayne
AnswerID: 144237

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 23:03

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 23:03
Hi Wayne,

The factory top on the troopie's snorkel also spins out the dust. I was surprised with what collected up top, vs how little was in the filter.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 397972

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:54

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 08:54
Hi Alan
If it is a road train I usually pull of the road, if possible I will pull of the road on the side away from the dust. I also contact them to say I am pulling off and are there more trucks behind them, some time if there are 3 or 4 it is time for a drink and stretch the legs till they pass.

It is not only the protection for the engine from the dust, but also to protect you from the idiots that pass roadtrains through the dust and hope you are not their.

Snorkels help form the dust behind another 4WD or car, but roadtrains create huge dust clouds and the snorkels copes it then as well
Ray
AnswerID: 144240

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:53

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 10:53
G'day Alan

A snorkel with a suitable pre cleaner and makng sure your air cleaner element is clean and properly maintained is the best provider of clean engine air. I carry a spare air cleaner element (genuine part) all the time and clean/replace it at least half recommended service intervals in dusty conditions. Make sure there is no unfiltered air getting into the air induction path after the air cleaner. More frequent oil changes.

A snorkel takes induction air from higher up potentially decreasing the amount of dust in the air. Many newer 4x4 vehicles have engine air intakes in left or right mudguard panels (to reduce the chances of water ingress compared to behind headlight induction paths ??????) I wonder if a lot of dust is thrown into this area by wheel and air flow around the wheel in dusty conditions.

As suggested by others stop/slowdown/pull to the left, set internal air systems to recirculate, when approached by road trains/approaching vehicles. Do not travel in other vehicles dust unless you must ( the resultant poor visibility is fare more hazardous than the dust to your engine ). You should at least slow down (considerably) when approaching other vehicles and set internal air systems to recirculate reducing the chance of stone damage and the dust cloud (increasing visibility)

With a properly setup snorkel/pre cleaner/air filter system, and increased service intervals, you will get more dust inside the car than in the engine.

I run a snorkel without a pre cleaner. I have run pre cleaners and it is interesting to note the amount of dust collected in them which one assumes would normally be filtered by the air cleaner element.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 144257

Reply By: Member - JD - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:26

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 11:26
Hi Alan H,
I seen advertised I think on ebey a foam sock type of pre cleaner that fits ovever the top of the snorkle..a good fit like a glove you get the picture..I havent tried this but it hit me as a good idea...Hope this helps.Driving blind is driving blind,bull dust,fog,terential rain, if it works for you do it.Its your decisions whilst driving that keep you and your family safe
JD
AnswerID: 144266

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:15

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:15
Buy a Donaldson.
AnswerID: 144277

Reply By: Bilbo - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:16

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 17:16
Be careful when pulling over to the left when a roadtrain is coming towards you. If there's another vehicle a couple of kms behind you, he might NOT pull over for the roadtrain. He can't see through the roadtrain's dust cloud and BINGO - he's smashed into the back of you whilst you're stationary.

Make sure you pull right off the road.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 144301

Sponsored Links