Fuel leak

Submitted: Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 21:59
ThreadID: 28930 Views:1481 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Filled the diesel 80 series main tank last night, then drove 60km home. Noticed oil on the garage floor this morning and found the main fuel tank is leaking. The tank was not over filled, just to the piont where the bowser nozzle clicked off. I guess I'll have to drain the tank and remove it, but just thought I'd ask if anybody else has had this problem? I'm thinking maybe its the seal around the sender unit, or the filler hose.
any advise appreciated. Regards Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 22:16

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 22:16
Jon,

I had a fuel leak in my 80 and it would only leak when the motor was running. Turned out to be the return fuel line. The plastic end of the solenoid had snapped and as the fuel was returned to the tank it would leak. Stop the motor or switch tanks, no more leak.

Priced a new solenoid and they wanted $300, fixed the problem with a little super glue.

Might pay to check when it leaks and if it is not leaking now then the fuel level is below the hole or it could be the same problem I had.

Wayne
AnswerID: 144213

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 02:10

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 02:10
Hi Jon

A while back I had a fuel leak from my main tank, caused by a small stone become wedged between the tank and the tank guard and wearing through the tank. Had to remove the tank to find the problem and fix it. I used a piece of 2-pack epoxy resin strip over the leak and it's still holding 2 years and many rough km later.

Good luck with yours
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 144225

Sponsored Links