Carrying the Highlift on a GU.

Submitted: Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:37
ThreadID: 28915 Views:2276 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for ideas on this one.

On our recent foray into the Flinders I carried a highlift jack and long handle shovell on the back of the GU. I have a mount attached to the spare on the rear door. A few times while travelling, particularly on the better sections of road where the speed was up a bit I noticed the door open warning light flickering. Pull up open and re-close the back doors and the problem went away.

It seems the extra load is enough to cause the door to rattle out. I have two questions 1 Can the lock be adjusted to stop this happening? and if not
2 Any ideas on other places to carry the highlift?

I don't want to fit the roof rack 'cause that will make me carry more junk and I do want to keep all recovery gear on the car not the trailer.

Also I was just looking through some posts on this forum and thought what a great place to be. The free sharing of information on an amazingly varied range of subjects is great. The fact that we can help each other out with things like engine failures, places to go, how to set up for all kinds of travel engage in general chat, share concerns for each other and have a laugh is fantastic.

Congratulations to all who participate in this friendly exchange and to David and Michelle for facilitating this.

Merry Christmas to all. Have fun be safe.

Duncs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JD - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:53

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:53
Hi Duncs,
First of all Merry Xmas,Me personaly l look for the simplelist fix and the first thing that comes to mind is a sort of choc, a piece of high density foam under the offending door to support it but still let the door fuction properly and it should also dampen the shock waves going thru the hinges,,,,.just a thought.maybe worth a try?
JD
AnswerID: 144137

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:59

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:59
G'day Duncs

I carry my high lift in the CT in a canvas bag. My GU has no suitable points for the Highlift so it is really only usable on the trailer.

I carry a handwinch and a long handle shovel ( the shovel is easily removed from its rear tyre mount ) when 4wding no highlift ( without trailer) plus other gear ( I use _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx from Outback in Cairns).

It is easy to carry to much weight on the rear door of a patrol. I intend to fit a rear bar ( ARB/Kaymar) in the future to remove weight from the rear door.

Regards

Paul

AnswerID: 144139

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:21

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:21
Hey Paul,

I would like the ARB/Kaymar option, it is the best but it is part of a long list.

My ARB Bullbar has points for use with the highlift and I once got caught with my recovery gear on the trailer. I was on a day trip and just over 120km from the trailer so I now want all my recovery gear on the car.

I am thinking of lying the jack down across the rear. Tow bar can take the weight with brackets either side to keep it in place. Don't know how it will work yet. But it should be low enough to allow the doors to open.

I'll let you know if it works.

Duncs
FollowupID: 397594

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:21

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:21
Gooto agree with you Paul.. I have an 05 GU and it's only a month old and already I get accaisinal squeeks from the rear door (don't go there..) I think the Kaymar/ARB rear bar with tyre carrier is th ebest way to go.. I wouldn't even think of adding a HLJ to the rear door hinges.. although it's easy for me as I use a roof rack..
I guess this opens another can off worms.. why have a trailer if you dont have a RR.. surely a loaded RR will have less detrimental effect than a loaded trailer... if you want to cut back on how much stuff you rtake , I would go roof rack and forget trailer.. but I guess each to their own.. everyone needs to find a balance for their needs, I guess I'm lucky and only travel with two of us and two medium dogs. so no need for trailer but RR is great for fishing rods, tents and tool box..
My only suggestion Re HLJ would be to try a fitting behind Bullbar.. Have seen it done on some cars but not sure if I recall seeinga GU with one..
Merry Christmas
FollowupID: 397595

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 13:26

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 13:26
Okay, there are a couple of different issues here to be considered......

Firstly, the highlift jack: I have a Opp Lock rear bar with a slot either side for the HL Jack, so no worries. I also have a ARB bullbar and could use the HLJack on it too. However, most stock 4bys aren't equipped to take advantage of a HLJack......so you need to ask yourself the obvious question...."Do I really need to carry it?"

Secondly, the Opp Lock rear bar means that I get all that horrible weight off the back door which is gr8 indeed. It also means I can mount the HLJack onto the spare wheel swing arm with no ill-effects; so this is where I carry mine.

Thirdly, even after I fitted the new rear bar and had no excess weight on the back door, the bloody interior light and the red idiot light would come on at any time it felt like doing so. It struck me that there is no earthly reason why that big cargo door even needs to have a switch for the warning/interior light/s. After all, you can't open the big door unless the smaller door is opened first (and it has it's own switch anyway). So, I decided to take the interior trim off the big door and simply unplugged the single cable at a junction, before the single wire continued down into the bowels of the door....(the switch is somehow "hidden" away down in the bottom latch area). I also then decided that even the small cargo door didn't really need to have the switch operative, so i did the same on that door too.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 397615

Reply By: Squizzy - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:34

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:34
Duncs,

You can always disassemble the jack. Put the bar under the rear seats, and the base plate in the rear.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 144148

Follow Up By: babs - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:52

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 12:52
Here, here Squizzy, that's how I solved my problem with the high lift, the best way to carry a high lift jack take it apart. The time it would take you to unbolt it off the rear wheel it will take the same time to assemble...

Problem solved!

Merry Christ-mass.

Babs.
FollowupID: 397610

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 17:03

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 17:03
I disabled the small rear door switch - problem Solvered!

I have resisted the door mount HLJ.............the HLJ is on the roofrack, on a special mount at the rear. The Bullbar has fabricated mounts to accept the HLJ tonue; the hayman reece hitch has a recovery tongue in it which doubles a a HLJ point & rated dee shackle mount.

I do respect the question posed by others...that is, challenge yourself if you need it, especially if it can't be used on the vehicle.

I sold the CT a few years ago -the trips are more flexible without the CT. I certainly am more mobile on a daily basis, if needed, without the CT. It is so much quicker to pack up & unpack without the CT. And even if camping in the one spot for a few days, have managed without the CT for a few years now.

I try to keep it all simple as possible. The trick is not what to take, but what NOT to take.

Cheer
AnswerID: 144171

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 17:18

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 17:18
Hi Duncs

It is worth checking the smaller of the doors. When we had the GU wagon we found that the light came on ror flickered. Undid the hook that the door attaches to and put to washers underneath, the door closed tighter and stayed that way with a large tyre, shovel,axe and autotuner fitted.

Ray
AnswerID: 144173

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 21:09

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 21:09
Hey everyone thanks for the input.

I have used the HLJ a couple of times to get myself out of sticky spots and figure until I get a winch it would be nice to carry it if I can.

As I said earlier I have had a little look at lying it down across the back. It looks like it could be relatively easy. It sits on the goose neck up against the treg coupling and clears all the lights etc. I am thinking of welding a second socket to the left of centre one and fitting a second goose neck to carry the weight of the base and stop the jack see-sawing.

Can anyone follow what I just said and if so can you see any problems with the idea.

Thanks again
Duncs
AnswerID: 144204

Reply By: Carchania - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:42

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 12:42
gday mate

im not sure if the internal dimensions of the gu r slightly larger than the gq (?) considering that the gu is wider, but in my gq i just fold the backrest part of the back seats down and push my hilift inbetween the rear seats and the raised section of floor. then push the backrests up again and it 'locks' the hilift into place. ive gone over some bouncy sections of track quite fast and whilest everything else is bouncing around (including myself) the hilift doesnt move. just a thought mate.

cheers
Leayton
AnswerID: 144280

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:36

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 22:36
I liked this idea and went out this arvo to give it a go.

It works! You beauty, however, there is still aproblem. WHen I have the storage system in it works great. Nice spot just behind the mid row seats easy to secure and easy to get in and out. But I don't leave the storage system in all the time.

I am not keen on having the jack running around in the cabin when I can't secure it. So for my next trip, January, when I will have one of the third row seats in, this won't work.

Still looking at hanging it off the towbar. SPoke to my welder friend today and he reckons it could work.

Duncs
FollowupID: 397835

Reply By: 4X4Treker - Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 05:50

Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 at 05:50
Duncs
I personally dont like putting extra weight on the rear door but I have found that the rear large door has a double lock system and often the top lock does not latch properly and because of this the light does come on and off while driving, now I simply make sure that the top lock has latched properly evertime I close the door. If you close the large door gently you will find that the bottom lock engages and then if you pull on the top of the door gently you will find that it has not latched

Cheers
Treker
AnswerID: 144352

Sponsored Links