Canoes

Submitted: Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:06
ThreadID: 28911 Views:12727 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody offer an opinion on B-line, Bushranger or Rosco canoes? Am thinking of purhcasing one for the kids (and I) for Christmas but haven't got much background knowledge. Any help appreciated.

Bundy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: the real chopper - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:23

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:23
In my previous life as Outdoor Ed teacher and canoe instructor I was always a big fan of rosco, they stood up to the tough punishment that kids can dole out.

Plastic canoes tend to get a wavy hull over time andthis makes them an unpleasant thing to paddle
AnswerID: 144125

Follow Up By: Bundy - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 23:55

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 23:55
Thanks for your comments. I had heard this before.

Bundy
FollowupID: 397668

Reply By: atoyot - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:28

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 09:28
We've just been through this process and after having made my mind up on my choice, I found that it was simply too heavy for my wife and I to easilly lift onto our racks. Weight is a big factor if you are going to be loading it on a high 4wd. My shortlist of features were plastic, ability to handle 2 adults and 2 children, comfortable seats and in built flotation if it gets flipped.

I had shortlisted the Australis Bushranger and Swagmen, and we almost bought the Bushranger as it is a great looking canoe, but it was simply too heavy (ask for a test lift onto your racks - it surprised me how difficult it was). In the end, we bought a Toyboy Rover (made by Dagger) from Southern Adventures (geat server from Anton) in Gosford (we are not local to the area but were there for a weekend). The Rover has timber and webbing seats, which are very comfortable and lightweight, and we could easilly accomodate the kids. The Bushranger was a bit of a squeeze. I cannot comment on the B-Line or Rosco, but they are both big names and would be of good quality. Fibreglass is a lot lighter than plastic, but it is relatively easy to damage, but as easilly fixed. Then again, there are plenty of plastic welders around, but it is hard to damage a decent roto moulded plastic canoe. The other thing is where is it likely to be used. We will mainly use ours on inland lakes, but as the kids get more experienced, rivers with the odd rapid are possible with the canoe we bought.

Just my thoughts on what we found, but I'm sure if you do your homework, you'll find something suitable. Enjoy whatever you end up buying!

regards

Andrew
AnswerID: 144127

Follow Up By: Bundy - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 23:57

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 23:57
I am finding it difficult to choose between plastic and fibreglass. Thanks for your input.
FollowupID: 397670

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:36

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:36
If you are not doing white water why does everyone worry about damage . I have a small fiberglass canadian I use for bass fishing and I can (just) lift it onto the car myself with a "clean and jerk".
I bought it from a small maker in Goulburn many years ago and I am sure he has moved on by now . But I am sure there are still small time fibreglass manufacturers around the country - it is just a matter of searching for them .
Even in the old fibreglass days B Line canoes were overbuilt and too heavy . They were so thick skinned that they would not flex if you hit a rock in a rapid , and they would crack . Not like my thin skinned lightweight which would just flex and absorb the impact .
I would never buy a plastic boat unless I was in the tour business where people were mistreating the boats all the time.
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 144132

Follow Up By: Bundy - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 23:59

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 23:59
Willie

Thanks for your comments. I haven't had the chance to have a look at them all yet. Just wanted to get some first hand experience advice!

Bundy
FollowupID: 397671

Reply By: wbsl - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 19:15

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 19:15
Hi Bundy

I purchased an Australis Bushranger and I am very happy with it. It is heavy to lift onto top of my Jackaroo so I made a roller system and can now put it up there by myself. Rollers manufactured by Dad's engineering - RHS rails and alumium rollers didn't cost very much and a excellent addition for easily handling the canoe.

Regards Wayne
AnswerID: 144190

Follow Up By: Bundy - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 00:00

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 00:00
How have you found it on the water? Is is easy to paddle? Stability? Load carrying ablity? Comfy seats?

Bundy
FollowupID: 397672

Follow Up By: wbsl - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 07:43

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 07:43
Hi Bundy

It is easy to paddle, very comfortable, as it is a big canoe the seats are higher than a friends fibreglass canoe and I find it much better to spend a reasonable amount of time in. This also means that we gwt less water into the canoe in sloppy water.

Probably as it is a little heavier than the glass canoes it takes a little more effort, but we are normally causal and just take our time and get in a slightly longer time.

It has a carrying capacity of 260kg. Comes standard with two seats and a third can be added.

Not sure if the link will work, first time I have tried it.
click here

Regards Wayne
FollowupID: 397680

Sponsored Links