GU cargo barrier exchange-ability

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 22:09
ThreadID: 28905 Views:1578 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - does anyone know if the older GU cargo barriers fit the 05 model? What are the differences? Simple bracket adjustments or major sheetmetal differences ie hard to fix.
Thanks
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:43

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:43
I am going through that very "operation" this afternoon. I am taking the barrier out of a 99 GU and getting it installed in an 05 GU. The guy at Milford assures me it is a straight swap. The 'mounting kit' invovles removing the internal panels and drilling a few new holes. Through these hols steel brackets are inserted and the 'mounting' screws are scred onto these. It's afidley job and you wil lneed a 20mm or so drill bit.
The RRP for the kit and labour is $170, but as an example.. I'm gettingit done this afternoon by a certified Milford installer for $150 ncluding all labour and the mounting kit.
If you wanted to remove the kit from your old GU you would have to remove the interior panels and floor mats/carpet in the rear and it's a fidley and risky job.. as there is only about 3mm between the floor panels and you need to carefully remove the backing plates that are inserted between the panels, without letting them slip deeper into the floor.. once they slip.say goodbye because you will ever get them out again without removing the fule tank and seperating the spot welded panels... I say for the sake of $150 get the new kit and have it installed.. (of note, if it's not installed by a certified installer, then it's not 'rated' and you have no cover if it fails or you have an accident and something goes wrong) for the sake of $150 it wil be installed and fully certified.

P.S.. If something goes wrong and it doesn't actually fit. I'll let you know tonight.. Cheers
AnswerID: 144116

Sponsored Links