Dumn HF vks question

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:47
ThreadID: 28900 Views:1665 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just got all my membershp details and will properly test the system at this evenings sked time. I notice however that the majority of the day is taken up by sked calls somewhere. How do you go about making personall calls? Can you assume if you cant hear them (say Tasmania sked times) they cant hear you so conversations are OK. But surely then if talking to someone 1/2 way you may not be interfering but they may be?? what is the edicit? I know for short distances low freq can be used which probably wont interfere but what do you do?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:08

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:08
A good observation. However if you look carefully you'll find huge spaces that aren't taken up, especially with your time difference.
There are few skeds on the 5, 11 and 14 meg frequencies.
There are ways around your problem. If local then use a lower frequency and bend your aerial back so as to produce radiation that doesnt go as far as the bases. Thats one trick, I'm sure others will have other ideas.
AnswerID: 144067

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:41

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:41
Huge?? 8 till 11.30 (3.5 hours in the morning) 1.00pm till 2 (1 hour) and 5.10 till 6 (50 min) sure it is enough time (if no one else is using it) but doesnt leave much time for spontaneus convo or personall skeds
FollowupID: 397521

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:44

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:44
So become a ham operator, that way you can chat whenever you feel like it :))
FollowupID: 397524

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:02

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:02
yair fair enough but would it be appropriate to converse with someone at Eucla from kalgoorlie during alice springs shed time if you could here nothing from there? (example)
FollowupID: 397530

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:14

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:14
Signals from the West MAY interfere with comms in the East and the reverse is also true. Some frequencies are unusable at night because of international signals.
So, what to do ? I guess that consideration is the key. Leave a break between overs so someone can advise you if there's a problem. Listen carefully before you transmit.
After all it could be your emergency traffic that someone is chatting over the top of :)))))))
FollowupID: 397532

Reply By: Rosco - Qld - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:02

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:02
G'day Davoe

Don't know sh1t from dates about your question, but couldn't help noticing your profile piccie .... LOL!!

"Guilty your Honour" but I'm trying to be good .... honest.

Cheers cobber

AnswerID: 144077

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:59

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:59
Hi Davoe

Welcome to VKS737

You will be fine, there are plenty of free time:

WA Time
Channel one
between 6.30 pm to 6.30 am
between 8.00am to 4.00pm

Channel two
between 6.30 pm to 6.00 am
between 8.00 am to 11.30 am
between 1.00pm and 2.00 pm

Channel 3
Anytime but stations need to 1000klms plus

Channel 4
Anytime except 7.45 am to 8.00am
Stations that are 1500klms apart, great Perth to Darwin or East Coast for Lunch time chat

Channel 5
Anytime
Local Contact within 100klms daytime, further at night

Note, the higher the sun the higher the frequency

Ray Victor 2010 Sunday Night Adelaide Base
AnswerID: 144083

Reply By: Banjo 1 - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:02

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:02
Dave - I'm a base operator for VKS737 ... the following may be of use.1. Staff and members in general will appreciate your attempting personal calls only outside of published sked times (its a rule in fact), on the particular frequencies involved. As others have commented, if you'd like regular personal contact with other members, the trick is to pick a frequency and a free time to do that, before you go bush. By that method, you have a lot of opportunity to contact people.2. It is also true that if you fire up in sked time on what seems a clear frequency you may well cut into important traffic that you can't here - certainly not a good idea.3.
During the summer months, when our skeds are very quiet, ops are happy to put out a call and relay brief info to a required contact who may be on channel. That method employs the base as a relayer; one with a bigger antenna and a better reach (most times) than your mobile setup. This issue would be a burden though in the busy, winter months.Performance of frequencies cannot be set in stone either - even though the same power output is employed on all, they vary in reach and performance, due to a variety of conditions. Overall, experienced users employ the best frequency for the prevailing conditions where possible. In general, 8022khz is good early and late in the day - 5455khz may be better for your particular location under certain conditions. 14977khz has a better reach generally in the middle of the day.There is guide material tucked away in places on our website - have a squizz (documents page too) - please get in touch if we can assist further.
AnswerID: 144085

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 22:13

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 22:13
OK I think that explains it be considerate of all including those you cant hear. BTW i conducted my first radio check from kalgoorlie at about 6.30pm (WST) 8022 and was even able to relay a call from dwellingup to perth from kal (dont ask me hoew that works). The operator then changed to 54455 and i could recieve and send ok but about 15% less and he replied to quite a few convo i couldnt hear. From experience i should gain at east 10% when I am out of town
FollowupID: 397560

Reply By: max200tdi - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 07:53

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 07:53
Theres another option for personal calls if say you're talking car to car, but out of UHF range - turn the power down.

Some sets have the ability to switch between 100 watts and 10 watts. That won't interfere too much with anyone else.

Regards
Max P
AnswerID: 144113

Reply By: ringa - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 18:03

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 18:03
I wish you luck. I have just cancelled my VKS membership, as, although I am still travelling around, I am fed up with all the inconsderate D---heads with flash radios with selcalls just hitting the button and going over everyone else, including the Bases. It seems that all the boneheads from 27Meg have found their way onto VKS.
Itried from Outback NSW, all the way through Nth Qld this year, just to contact a Base, and I know my Radio was working, but every time I tried, some inconsiderate Moron would press his selcall, effectively cutting me off. It happened too many times to be a coincidence. So Good luck with Hf
Ringa
AnswerID: 144184

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:58

Saturday, Dec 17, 2005 at 20:58
Gees Ringa,

That's a bit harsh.

If that is your experience far be it from me to discount it, but I've been using HF for the last two years extensively and have a comms trained back ground.

I have one of the flash radios you talk evil of.

I have used VKS on all their bases, many/most of the scheds from nearly all of the states. I have noted the odd inappropriate selcal and you do hear Ken get a bit frustrated with those members from time to time (though those frequencies are shared with another network with few and probably much smaller member list so it's not necessarily VKS members either).

It's not that big a deal to me. It's part of being one of the best radio communities in Australia. Like all communities it has a lowest common denominator. But of the what ever it is now - 7000-8000 members - it's a minority who are the problem and the scheds are hardly inconvenienced by it.

That selcal may or may not be someone elses emergency also. A little bit of give and take is required.

Dave
FollowupID: 397826

Sponsored Links