Help.. I just can't work out how to......

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 13:47
ThreadID: 28893 Views:2576 Replies:12 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Thats it.. I have tried and tried.. I just can't seem to find a way to work less and spend more time in my 4WD travelling around Aus???

I would love it if someone could help me out in this regard.. all advice is appreciated and I would love the expert opinion of a seasoned "nomad" on how to achieve less work and more play...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JD - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:05

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:05
Hi Coyote (SA),
This is what dreams are made of..sadly only a few of achieve whilst still young enought...to let's say climb Airye's Rock...jeez shown me age...dont mean to offend no one ...Ularoo...TO the people out ther doing it at retirement age or older I take my hat of to U..my folks went around Oz in there old comodore towing a van..not to long before they passed on.but my Dad was beuty,of the land..could fix virtually anything with pliers,wire,and injunuity...I remember he made a rotor button out of a ring pull ,fishin line,and a bandaid..it worked I was there still have the rotor,and will post a picture when i find it.anyway....all I can think of is go hard for a couple of years save your dollars then comit and go!!!.Goodluck.
JD..Membership is current......could we fix this?...if it has already been done thankyou.
AnswerID: 144013

Follow Up By: Member - JD - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:17

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:17
There's another way.......find a rich girl/guy and marry him/her;-)
JD
FollowupID: 397486

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 15:57

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 15:57
tried that when i got married...thought she was rich...she is ...but if you ask any women they'll tell you "whats hers is hers and whats mine is hers "
FollowupID: 397497

Follow Up By: John L G - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 17:37

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 17:37
It actually goes....."Whats' your's is mine and whats' mine's my own"
FollowupID: 397508

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:38

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:38
Yes, then his half is half mine too, and half of that half mine, etc! Oh well, half of nothing is still the same.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 397538

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:00

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:00
that what she said but i'm trying to tell in past tense?
but what the heck...you have the same problem eh?
FollowupID: 397550

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:13

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 21:13
Hi Nudenut - well i've got a few $$s left, but won't take us far on our travels. He's got nothing left so can't boost the kitty from that. Oh the joys of farming and unemployment.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 397552

Follow Up By: Member - JD - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 23:16

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 23:16
Ahh ..so many places to go and not enought money to do it....well that just plain sucks!!!LOL...never give up on...one day!!....next we will be blueing over whos got the best half of nothing..LOL
JD
FollowupID: 397564

Reply By: Carl & Kaz - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:10

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:10
OK, you go to work to earn the money to spend to enjoy the time when you are not at work, right?

So, you need to adjust one of the following parameters in the above statement, in order to extend the time when you are not at work, thereby increasing the time available for 4wd travelling!

1. Earn more money when you are at work - you must work harder, be more productive, and bring home more money.

2. Spend less money on things other than 4wd travelling - eat less, live in a smaller house, don't save for your retirement. and don't plan on leaving anything for the kids (they can look after themselves).

3. Spend less money when you are 4wd travelling - drive a smaller more fuel efficient 4wd, don't travel as far, stay in the cheapest caravan parks, and supply your own food by picking up the roadkill along the way.

OR

4. Win Lotto, quit work, buy the best (insert 4wd of choice) money can buy, travel wherever you like, for as long as you like, eating and drinking everything you like.

If you can't do any of the above JOIN THE CLUB!!! Learn to compromise and enjoy whatever time you can make available to the fullest!!

Hope this helps - and if you manage number 4 give me a ring 'cause I reckon I might be able to show you an idea or two on how to enjoy that money.

AnswerID: 144014

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:51

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:51
Great advice Karl & Kaz - i am TRYING to do points 1, 2, 3 & 4. Work is hard to find, but i grab work every day i can get it, tell them all i LOVE working for them, not that i am sick and tired of work and really just want to go around Australia. Kids can look after themselves, they've had a fair go - they can look after us too when the $$s are all gone (which will be soon!). Not that they are in a position to help either. Living on rice and spagetti - anything else real cheap? Camp in the bush free most of the time when travelling, mmm - roadkill? My daughter was living in Qld some time ago, and when over here visiting family hit a poor young kangaroo - brought it back and skinned it, flew back with a sample of roo meat for her friends who had never tasted kangaroo! Lotto looks like my only option - but no luck so far.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 397547

Reply By: Banjo 1 - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:39

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 14:39
You have to resolve to be philosophical with your expectations in this life - then you decide to gamble with your future security. From that point its easy - you just pack up and go !
I hasten to add that this baby boomer has done bugger all travel, anywhere. If I don't hurry up, it'll be too late ! What have I been doing for al of this time ? Working full time for 40 years and saving my spare bickies - what for ? - I often ponder this !
AnswerID: 144020

Reply By: RupertDog - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 15:57

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 15:57
WIN LOTTO

$32 Million Superdraw on New Year's Eve !!!

RD
AnswerID: 144032

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 16:21

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 16:21
I heard there is a courier job going at present......simple and you get to see a lot of the outback.

Al you gotta do is drive between Adelaide and Port Hedland via Alice Springs (with the occasional detour to Barrow Creek), across the Tanami. Speed is a pre-requisite and you are encouraged to "powder your nose" anytime you feel the urge as it seems to keep you on your game.

There are some side benefits too, but you gotta work them out for yourself.

hahahahaha ;-))))))))
AnswerID: 144035

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 17:10

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 17:10
Very witty, and very quick of you , Roachie
FollowupID: 397504

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:29

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:29
Roachie, off topic for this post, but the Age today said that Murdoch drove 18 hrs from Barrow Creek to Halls Creek, via Alice to refuel, not Broome, which does make it a bit more feasable.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 397535

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:40

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:40
Yeh mate, that sounds more like it.....I wonder if he kept a log book?? hahahahaha
FollowupID: 397540

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 16:28

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 16:28
Coyote,
I think the secret is to start your own business and put heaps of effort into it . You will have to motgage your house ,risk all and work like hell for a while , but that's the way to make money .
Nobody gets rich working for someone else .
Then you sell your business , retire and go travelling .
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 144039

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:16

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:16
Coyote,

It would be great if you could work only 3 days a week. If you wanted to time off to travel that would be OK as you would have a job to go back to when you finished the trip. Also when you did travel you got paid to do it.

There are some down side to the job but they are out weight by the good parts. This would not suit ever one but it has worked for me over the past few years and I don't think I will be quiting either job soon.

Wayne
AnswerID: 144057

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:23

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:23
1. Become a journalist writing for 4x4 magazines worldwide
Add photography to that and away you go.

2. Create a craft idea, manufacture and sell it to businesses Australia wide.(thats what we did for 5 years)

3. Buy a septic tank suction unit, Fit it on the back of your 4by and travel Australia.
( I saw one in Leigh Creek...on the side of his truck was written "Your Chit is my bread and butter ) lol

4. Become a boilermaker welder and buy all the gear. Travel Australia doing odd jobs and making heaps of money.

5. Wait for the olds to die and then spend your inheritance travelling

Have a good Xmas thinking up ways and means. :o)

Cheers
AnswerID: 144058

Follow Up By: Member - Tonester (VIC) - Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 13:06

Friday, Dec 16, 2005 at 13:06
Mate, No 3 aint such a bad idea. It never got off the ground, but my missus once was going to start a small rubbish bin cleaning service. I reckon it would have cleaned up. Literally & metaphorically! I know I'd pay to get it done, it reeks 99%.
FollowupID: 397612

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:54

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 18:54
1) work for government , they have a scheme in place where you recieve 75% of your salary but get heaps of holidays 12 weeks a year or more i cant remember
2) work O/S i have just applied for a job in Laos 28 days on and 14 off FIFO to any capitol city
3) hardly exploreoz but i work 2weeks on and 1 off so get enough time to check out my back yard. - actually off for a few days as of tommorow
AnswerID: 144063

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:23

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 19:23
Work harder, make more money and then retire early.
Dont get a travelling job. Not much fun when you have to travel somewhere on business, might as well stay home (all hotel rooms are the same when you're on your own :(
Get a job where you can accumulate some leave and then go before you're too old or crook.
Take care of your health so that you can work , and then retire and travel and be as sprightly as Willem (according to what I read :)
AnswerID: 144070

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:35

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:35
Buy a book called AFFLUENZA .Read it and you will have the answer to your dilemma.Book Description

>> "Anyone concerned about the level of their personal debt or frustrated by the rat race of aspiring to an affluent lifestyle will appreciate this critique of the effects of over-consumption. This analysis pulls no punches as it describes both the problem and what can be done to stop it. Analyzing the increasing rates of stress, depression, and obesity as possible effects of the consumption binge currently gripping the Western world, this report tracks how Australians overwork, the growing number of things thrown out, self-medicated drugs, and the real meaning of the word choice." <<

You need to time things so that you go broke the day before you die.

All this building of wealth blinds people to the real point of life.

Merry Xmas or...... Happy New Year Festival.
AnswerID: 144079

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:43

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 20:43
Totally agree......life would be sooooooooo much easier if Birth Certificates came with an Expiry Date printed on them!!!!! hahahaha
FollowupID: 397543

Reply By: techie - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 22:38

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 22:38
Not wishing to skite - I worked out how to do it.
Invested for 12 yrs, retired in 95. Went back to Uni.
Worked for the fun of it with the Y2K bug (the stories I could tell!!)
Been living off the income for 10yrs almost.
Unfortunately came unravelled with a couple of glitches.
Now about to start again - 10yrs and I'll retire again (about $65k pa in today's money) only this time I won't make the same mistake.
If you own your own home and have a job you can retire in 5yrs flat.

Don't work to live - work to invest.
Techie.
AnswerID: 144096

Sponsored Links