4wd systems

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:24
ThreadID: 28850 Views:2432 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone here had any experience with 4WD Systems??? y'know... the guys that sell the "Gear to Goannawhere"???

I noticed their turbo prices are quite reasonable, but haven't heard anything about them.

Are they OK to deal with?? Is the product OK??? A lotta money to spend on an unknown thing y'know??? I still haven't made up my mind about which turbo to get..... and this isn't a This turbo or That turbo debate, just want to know what others think of 4WD systems is all.......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:28

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:28
I bought a Roofrack off them in Adelaide. A good product. They were OK do deal with but then the apprentice botched the fitting of the RR. But I forgave him and got over it...lol
AnswerID: 143727

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:30

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:30
Quick response Willem... thank you. Apprentices have to learn somehow don't they... LOL....
FollowupID: 397209

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:35

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:35
hi all
the aprentice should be watched by there superviser that is what aprintice are for they are not tradspeople
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 143730

Reply By: warthog - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:57

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:57
Have bought dual batt system, roof rack, cargo barrier and suspension from them. There was a fair wait on the rear springs ,however I was warned that the supplier ( industrial springs in Adel) was snowed under and there would be a wait. Happy with price and quality, particularly the cargo barrier, which was half the price of the equivalent milford and is a better fit than the milfords I have seen in GU's.
AnswerID: 143740

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:22

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:22
I have tried to buy a few items from them, but each time they have not delivered (ie: promised it would be ready but it wasn't) so ended up going somewhere more reliable. Price was great, but only if I was prepared to put up with the slack sales team. Quality seems OK too, judging from items that friends have bought (more patient people than me obviously!!)
Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 143747

Follow Up By: scoof - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 13:24

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 13:24
Over the years, I have had mixed dealing's with this mob.I bought a long range fuel tank,dual battery system,air compressor,spot lights,uhf radio and a few other things.
Air comp was a piece of crap the Daul battery system didn't work.
Also they fitted it .
But the tank was good and so was the spotlights and uhf.
i'm spending my money somewhere else next time.
Kind Regards Scoof
FollowupID: 397298

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 13:49

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 13:49
Have to say , mixed dealings . . . seems common.

Know quite a few guys running their Lokka Diff locks , good product.

Few guys running their, LR tanks, Roof Racks , and various other odds and sods.

Most have been good , some have been crap, most times their service seems good , other times its complete rubbish.

Luck of the draw probably.
FollowupID: 397313

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 15:11

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 15:11
Ah! the apprentice botched the roof rack fitting eh. Well the "apprentice" botched the fitting of our long range tanks too, they were good about it, repaid the $700.oo it cost for the recovery from the Pedirka track and refitted it again. But By then we had missed out on our Simpson trip. Then, we had to be carted from the middle of the Gibb RR into Derby and spend 5 nights there waiting for parts. Seems they cold bent the fuel pick-up pipe into the main tank, to get it to fit, consequently after kms of corrugations, it broke off and fell into the tank. Fortunately, at the same time we also fitted a large magnet to the inside of the tank to pick up all the metal filings and rust flakes that were floating around inside. I could go on but I won't.

I would not buy a toothbrush from 4WDSystems.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 143846

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 18:38

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 18:38
used to get hers and mine serviced by them?
had overheating problems in one of them....took it to radiator mob to have checked out....got called on the phone and was told radiator stuffed

Verdict.......corrosion taken place due incorrect procedure when changing coolants ...alloy was being eaten away and a powdery aluminium looking substance was blocking the core

several months later (and by this time toyota were servicing) the heater coil started leaking...took it toyota dealer to check out.....they isolated the coil and would check with toyota if they would assist (4 yrs old) didnt have the heart to tell them they , goanna mob, probabaly stuffed it.....anyhow, dealer fitted new coil, but i had to pay labour......when i went to pick it up they said they would keep quiet....i was lucky but new rad fitted was over $1k...
AnswerID: 143871

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 19:23

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 19:23
The wrong coolant by the previous owner led to the demise of my water-cooled VW Transporter a few years ago...... rusted a huge hole in one of the heads!!!!!! So I understand exactly what you are talking about there Nudie.....
FollowupID: 397355

Follow Up By: OLDMAGPIE - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 21:27

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 21:27
i was told that white powder was something to do with the manufacture of the radiator & sometimes is not flushed out properly when new,then down the track it causes problems, now im confused, might be a combination of both
FollowupID: 397382

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:51

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 07:51
Oldmagpie
my understanding is that they didnt flush the radiator to remove all of original coolant. With the two differing chemicals, this resulted in the ph of the mixture going up or down (acidity or alkalinity cant remember which) which attacked the alloy......
this includes all alloy components...radiator, engine etc etc the residue of which lodged in the core due to slow water flow, this residue slowly accumualted until cores became obstructed and then the overheating began.

The residue was similar in appearance to the surface of alluminium which is corroding....or if youve seen what happens to a sacrificial anode.....same thing.
FollowupID: 397427

Follow Up By: OLDMAGPIE - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 13:28

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 13:28
nudenut,
that does sound a lot more plausable than what i was told,might be worthwhile going back to using dam water than all this other sh.......it.(i know coolant is heaps better)
FollowupID: 397480

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 13:31

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 13:31
the trick is ....dont mix and match.....if your changing coolant make sure its flushed of all previous coolant

need the coolant these days unless you use demineralised water I guess
FollowupID: 397481

Follow Up By: OLDMAGPIE - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 15:59

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 15:59
nudie, not if you had a combi , ahh those were the days, surf chicks,surfboard, crabs, & 20 cents a schooner
FollowupID: 397498

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 16:29

Thursday, Dec 15, 2005 at 16:29
combie.....?
oh you mean one of those things that can change lanes with a side wind without moving the steering wheel...
the chicks i knew wouldnt be seen dead in a combie
FollowupID: 397500

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 19:25

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 19:25
Thanks to everyone who responded..... I now have a better idea of what to do here....
AnswerID: 143875

Reply By: JustyWhyalla - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 23:23

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 23:23
Have a mate who owns a GQ ST ute. Bought suspension system to replace the TJM system he had. (Wanted more lift and wasn't impressed with the progressive springs) After two shocks fell apart, 1 off road in the flinders and the other driving around adelaide. Both times they were replaced but it is the hassle and everything else. This isn't a new vehicle so one would think any hassles with articulation would have been fixed by now. Looks like on two occasions wrong springs were fitted to the back end. They were Ok about it but left a sour taste.
AnswerID: 143931

Sponsored Links