Snorkel Jeep

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:32
ThreadID: 28840 Views:1999 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Before the bleep taking starts I know that the Jeep is not popular within this forum, however I am trying to organise the buildup of my machine whilst I am overseas so that it is ready for a trip east within two weeks of my return home.

Yes it is a short time frame so need to try and get the missus to take the car to places for add ons when she has no idea about cars and the needs of country touring. So anyone know if a snorkel kit is available for WJ Grand Cherokee or will I have to resort to custom made? (thats if swmbo lets me cut holes in the guards)

Cheers

Jeepster
Honiara
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:40

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:40
Jeepster - Jeeps aren't unpopular here, and quite a few of us have one :) There just aren't enough around for the manufacturers to take notice.

I have a WJ, and have found that snorkels were never made by any of the big manufacturers - even for the American market. I've investigated getting one made up, but never really use the WJ for the big trips - I have a Patrol or two for that.

Do you have a CRD (diesel) or a V8? The CRD will need a snorkel custom-made for the RHS pillar, and V8 is on the LHS. The big problem is that there is no A-pillar as such that you can bolt to - because of the wrap-around door frames. I've been thinking of anchoring it right at the top near the roof rails and then running a 3" stainless pipe into the guard - and from there a flexible tube between the guard and into the engine bay.
AnswerID: 143668

Follow Up By: Jeepster-WA - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:42

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:42
Omaroo, I really didn't want to cut holes in it and put on big pipes and stuff as it is the old girls run around when not out bush, hence the need for the luxo grand. I was just a bit concerned about creek crossing during our up and coming trip around Tassie and Vic high country.

It will be February but it can still rain enough to get caught. Would love the luxury of another truck but I couln't possibly part with my original factory Chev powered 74 HQ Statesman.

Cheers

Jeepster
Honiara
FollowupID: 397179

Follow Up By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:52

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 15:52
I know that a Navara snorkel has been used - but only on the V8 where it's on the LHS. Looks OK I guess. Model is Navara SS720HF

URL: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/snorkel.html

FollowupID: 397180

Reply By: Jeepster-WA - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:16

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:16
Thanks for the information Amaroo, the six has the intake on the left as well, will investigate as it doesn't look too bad.

Cheers

Jeepster
Honiara
AnswerID: 143689

Sponsored Links