Camping at "The Coorong" SA over Christmas?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:36
ThreadID: 28835 Views:5483 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know what the Coorong is like over Christmas? I am new to SA and have doen a drive up the beach near Goolw, but thought the southern side of the Coorong would be interesting.. but flaming hot in summer.. is there shady campsites near water in the coorong or is it wishfull thinking. Also is it likley to be 'touristed out' and whats the fishing like. Ta..... very muchly... if I do go I'l be happy to record the trip data and write up a summary for the treck notes etc.. albeit a somewhat primarily black top treck...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nick R - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:58

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:58
Addittionally, is anything different in January? What is the insect load like? flies, march flies, etc??? How busy in the second week of Jan?
Thanks,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 143636

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:35

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:35
Hmmm,

Not much in the way of shade along the Coorong in my experience.
It's just a matter of camping behind a dune to give some protection from the "sea breezes" which blow like a banshee at times. The scrub is low coastal growth and not good to shelter under.

Always bush and sand flies around but a dose of Bushman's, or Aerogard usually suffices. The only decent water is the ocean itself, except for Lake Alexandrina.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 143657

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 16:50

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 16:50
Bees will be bad in the mornings, until the dew has gone.

Salt Creek campsite is probably the most sheltered from wind, and sun, and it is marginal.
Thing is though, it's still a fair drive to the 42 mile.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 143682

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:31

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:31
Hot and windy most days. If not hot it will be still be windy. Shade is damn hard to find if not impossible. Best time is in winter when there is not as much wind, however the Mulloway are at their best in summer.
AnswerID: 143692

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:52

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:52
There are some nice spots on at Ti Tree crossing on the coorong side of the Younghusband Peninsular. Only a short drive to the water but is could get very hot without the ocean breezes.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 143738

Sponsored Links