Nissan Patrol Petrol and Supercharging...

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:47
ThreadID: 28834 Views:6289 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good Morning all,

This post is a thought process in it's baby stages so I'm just getting ideas at the moment. As you may or may not know, I purchased a bog stock GQ TB42 earlier this year for a song with under 180k on the clock. Since then I've fitted a few bits and bobs including a 4inch suspension kit and 33's. Prior to this, the petrol flew, very happy with the power, torque is down, but I'm just used to diesels.

Now, as an excuse to enter this exercise, I'll be driving down to Melbourne to tow back a 'moving trailer', one of those enclosed things that you can fit half your house in and bringing it back to Brisbane for my sister.

As I knew would happen, the 33's have robbed the motor of overtaking power. I do intend on using it fairly regularly for offroad, so I don't want to stick a set of 31's under it apart from how funny that would look!

Turbos I understand, turbos I have worked with and know the advantages and limitations. Supercharges? Hmmmm, not a hell of a lot of experience. Obviously someone would know someone who runs one on a petrol patrol I hope or could give me some guidance. I'm fairly sure they run cooler, belt driven, run a lower boost are available at idle, advantage of still running extractors etc.

Look forward to your comments in regards to the above etc.

Cheers

Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:25

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:25
You've listed all the good things of turbosupercharging. On the flip side, you also have to consider the down side. viz; physical room required under the bonnet; lack of available pulley drivers for Nissan; old school ignition system with centrifugal advance mechanism; detonation and/or lean burn problems with air/fuel ratio's; mechanical noise of the unit; lack of aftermarket low-comp pistons etc,etc.
Yes the theory is sound, but it just becomes too hard to apply, economically and you will never, ever return your investment.
AnswerID: 143619

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:49

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:49
Thanks mate, I'll take that into consideration...
FollowupID: 397164

Reply By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:06

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:06
Duuno about lower boost preesures?

if you go for superchargering get a positive displacement type eg Eaton

the other types are just a belt driven turbo.

Talk to this mob

youll not on their web site the vortex, powerdyne and paxton blowers...these are basicly belt driven turbo's and as such are not positve dispalcement which will not give low idle torque...and just like turbo's have lag.
AnswerID: 143622

Reply By: wilbur - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:21

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:21
Hi chriss i have a ford EL falcon with a supercharger on it when i bought it and was very unhappy with the performence and detanation so i fitted a intercooler and got a custom chip done for it now i get 220kw at the wheels with around 700 km a tank on a long trip and 500km around town and im a lead foot very happy with it now but has cost me alot to get to this stage it runs a powerdine charger very quiet low maintenance but being a belt driver it takes longer to build boost and for low down grunt you would be disaponted but once you reach about 3 grand look out i should mention that with a vaine suppercharger they don't reach full bost until you are at the end of you rev range ie the faster they spin the more boost and there is no need to change pistons with any forced induction if boost is keep with in reason good luck with it .

scott
AnswerID: 143625

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:00

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:00
I was asking this type of question ages ago and I came to the conclusion that I need allot of money to put a supercharger in, I might wait with that till I am old retired man and make that my little project in the shed :-)
AnswerID: 143653

Reply By: Ron173 - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 16:32

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 16:32
I used to drive a company patrol with a supercharger on it, belt driven, it was an aftermarket fit, quite easy, had stax of grunt, I mean stax, like spin all four wheels in top gear pulling away from 50km/hr, real torquey too..................................

however.......

theres always a however you know......

Fuel consumption was absolutely shocking, but bloke didnt care as it was company vehicle, guess there is no free lunch, power costs fuel.

Ron
AnswerID: 143680

Reply By: OLLY - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 19:00

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 19:00
G'day Chris,

Mate you can happily run up to 10psi of boost pressure in a standard engine without changing the internals. Have a look at this website, these blokes are about the best in OZ. www.capa.com.au/kits_nissan.htm. And as for centifugal blowers being belt driven turbos, they may have a compressor housing that looks similar to that of a turbo but they actually supply boost at low RPM due to the fact that they run through a small geardrive.

Cheers

Damien.
AnswerID: 143706

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:22

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 21:22
hi cris
super charge or turbo charge are the same one is driven by the exaust the other is driven by the engine through the belt system either or ither is benificel to the extra HP of the engine mostle in the country which has upto 1000 METERS OR BEYOND UP TO 2000 METERS + YOU WILL SAVE fuel in the high country
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 143748

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 22:07

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 22:07
"super charge or turbo charge are the same one is driven by the exaust the other is driven by the engine through the belt system" is a bold but a bit inaccurate snailbait.

Perhaps you should read about superchargers like the Rootes system where interlocking rotors compress the air before it gets to the manifold. Interlocking vane types are common on the two stroke diesels like the old Detroit or GM ones aka 471, 671 and 871. Have an old 471 here with a supercharger on it. Typically you see them on the top of dragster motors as they run closer to engine revs than the turbo type compressor. They boost from low engine revs, righ on from spinning the crankshaft.

Turbo chargers actually rely on the centrifugal force of air from the fan vanes as well as a faster spinning engine.
FollowupID: 397227

Reply By: colin - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 14:49

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 14:49
fitted a S/C to my 4.2 diesal gq, the same unit fitted to the v6 commodore. best thing ever, so much more usable power all the way from idle. ideal for towing and slow 4wding. i can drive around town in 5th doing 1000 revs and less put the foot down and away she goes. fuel economy changes with how you drive, fit a pyrometer and drive to that.have had the unit on for about 80,000ks and no problems, the only down side is the fan is 20mm closer to the radiater so water crossings need care. col
AnswerID: 143842

Sponsored Links