Hand Held UHF Question

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 00:33
ThreadID: 28827 Views:1770 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys,

looking at either the Uniden or GME 5-watter. Want to get an incar kit, basically with the ability to connect to an external aerial.

Which would be the best for this? Not fussed on brand as know both are top quality.

Thanks

Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:00
Greetings Nick

Personaly the GME. They offer a very nice car kit with the ability to affix an external antenna. Last time I looked the GME had slightly better performance specs with a better 12 volt (in car) charging setup.

I currently use a GME tx 6200 with an external speaker/mic ( no car kit). Works well in car and has excellent battery life. I also have a GME TX 3400 in car as well.

I have also owned/used the Uniden. My experience was that it is a poorly supported product. I ended up getting a refund and purchased the GME. (But there are many happy Uniden users.) Check external antenna ability of the Uniden also.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 143600

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:44

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:44
If it is a quality well supported product that has been tested 12 hours a day day in day out in very dusty environments and bounced off rocks usually a couple of times a day then the answer is GME
AnswerID: 143604

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:26

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:26
We've got two of the Uniden water proof handhelds as well as a bunch of the smaller ones. I normally wouldn't touch Uniden gear as I reckon the car based stuff is dodgy. However we have had a really good run from our handhelds.
The water proof ones have had an extremely hard life.
We have not looked into any accessories for them though. Never needed any. The antenna does come off though so I assume that means others are available.
AnswerID: 143640

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:44

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:44
Take a look at the Icom IC40-s also, great unit, can also be run from the car and hooked to an external antenna.

Also there is a Motorola 5w unit too and it looks the goods too.

And thats from a guy with a GME 6200 which I love!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 143694

Sponsored Links