Overheating GU's

Submitted: Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:24
ThreadID: 28818 Views:2732 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Was just reading the post (#28798) about Austravels overheating drama's and was wondering - are people having trouble with the newer TD42's with the factory intercooler?

Was talking to a bloke from MTQ in Toowoomba a couple of weeks back and he seemed to think the factory intercooled 4.2 was OK. The reason I ask is I currently have an 03 GU 3.0L and when it comes out of lease next year I was hoping to upgrade to a new 6 cyl diesel patrol or cruiser (not interested in IFS). Would love a new RV turbo troopie but that doesn't look like happening as the wife thinks that they are impractical as it would be her vehicle with our young baby.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:17

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:17
Chris,

I would look harder as I first hand have met people that are haveing trouble with the newer intercooled Nissans (4.2 obviously). I don't know any of these people as mates and exactly what their driving circumstances are but all I talk to come from Moree, Dubbo and surrounding ares. If you are in Dubbo, Western plains Automotive have been extremely helpful, open and honest with regards to the drama's surrounding my vehicle, they would be a good starting point in my opinion. I would not come straight out and tell them you are thinking of buying one as they would not tell you anything, but if you told them a little porky pie and said you own one that is having drama do they have others and what do they do to fix them, they may be more open and forthcoming with info ???

Hope this helps Trevor.
AnswerID: 143558

Follow Up By: Catfish - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:41

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:41
Thanks for the reply Trevor,

I guess when you think of it not much has changed by adding the intercooler - still the same donk. I think Roachie is right, sounds like the water jackets are just too small to get the heat out of this big lump of cast Iron.

Sounds like these things are fine without a load on and if I wasnt going to tow my 1.2t camper trailer I wouldn't hesitate in buying one for a second. The last thing I want is to be getting my left ear chewed of by the minister of finance because we're stopped on the side of the road letting the thing cool down in the Territory somewhere! LOL

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 397055

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:50

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:50
The other thing that is quite different between the 4.2TD (like Trevor's and mine) and the newer 4.2TDi is that the turbo on the newer ones is a "dry" type....(ie: it is not water-cooled). Stuffed if I know whether this has anything to do with it running any cooler, but now that mine is no longer water-cooled, it does seem to take a little bit longer (or slightly hotter weather etc) before the gauges start to climb. But that comment itself is VERY objective.....there is no relaible way I can really compare the before and after performance (temperature-wise) of the truck now that I have the new turbo bolted on. It seems to rev more freely & spools up to 15psi (on those rare occasions when I make it do so).

There is no way I would run a modified truck without an EGT gauge, extra water temp gauge and a turbo boost gauge......you MUST know what is going on under the bonnet.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 397059

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:59

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:59
Chris,

I have seen the water jackets in this 4.2 Nissan side by side with a 4.2 Toyota donk and they are cheese and chalk, with the toyota bigger by a country mile. I honestly believe this is the main crux of the problem. But we do have to give it to the old Nissan donk as they just seem to keep running. I won't tell Nissan that last bit as I think they should have done a more thourough job in testing the 3.5tonne towing capacity in Australian conditions, I believe the towing capacity is more like 500kgs in my opinion.
I am led to believe they have to replace the ageing 4.2 donk in the Nissan to meet emmission laws being introduced in 2007 ?? so next year may be the announcement of it's replacement (again not sure on the facts about this, just rumour at this stage). This may come in good time for your replacement ??

Cheers Tevor.
FollowupID: 397060

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 22:33

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 22:33
Chris,

The new TD6 runs the same radiator as the 4.8. I never had a problem running 12psi, 33's, 4 inch lift and towing 1.5 tonne and utilising the original 'small' intercooler. Maintanance is a big key when it comes to cooling in any vehicle. Flushing and running the right anti corrosive coolant will lead to a long lasting cooling system. It only takes a couple of months of the buildup for the radiator to become clogged. Then it depends who sets them up when some extra horsies are drawn from the motor.

Cheers,

Chris.
AnswerID: 143571

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 22:42

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 22:42
catfish

From what I have read in the past...the 4.2 has has a good share of the overheating problems.

I have a 3.0tdi 2002 series III. I can say once warm, no matter what the temperature outside, the needle never moves. I have been around the country in it towing a 1.5 tone van in the freezing cold (Grampians) and Great Ocean Road and 0ver 40C near Burke NSW and in the humidity of FNQ, the needle always sits in the same spot.
AnswerID: 143575

Follow Up By: Catfish - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 23:26

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 23:26
G'day Andrew,

No arguments here I have the same vehicle as you and have never had a cooling issue. However the next vehicle I buy I plan on keeping for quite some time. This is why I have targeted something all cast Iron like the TD42 Nissan or 1HZ/1-HD-FE? Toyota.

I know the series three 3.0l patrols are supposed to be more reliable, I still worry about mine lasting the distance not to mention the sheer lack of off Idle torque. On one of our club outings I was in a creek bed 1st gear low trying to climb up a steep exit slope the little 3.0L just kept stalling even with the right slipper planted to the floor - The end result was some clutch riding to get the turbo spooled up and she eventually climbed out. (doesn't help running 33" tyres with these things either)

Cheers
Chris

Cheers
Chris.

FollowupID: 397091

Reply By: Robin - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:45

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 13:45
Chris - Its essentially and issue related to that engine.

I run a very similar GU but with 4800 petrol. Its runs a lot cooler to the extent that I have removed 1 of the twin electric cooling fans on mine , which saves a little weight over front wheels, and improves access to my winch controls.

On a possible new car consider carefully , while I got the 4800 so that power would not be an issue , the real life cycle running costs using MRMA or RACV methods , show the petrol to be cheaper overall than the 6 cyl diesel GU as depreciation is main real cost. Its a mileage based thing though and the diesel breaks even some where around 25000.

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 143659

Reply By: JamieMac - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:31

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 14:31
2004 4.2Tdi has never gotten above half.

Towed Cameron Canvas camper at 110kmh back from Perth. Heavy bush work with same plus gear in back.

Mate has 4x6 conversion of same model with the same result. his carries a big load up to Sydney regularly. Fully stacked tray and dual axle trailer at times. 3 Tonne boat etc etc

JamieMac
AnswerID: 143667

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 18:56

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 18:56
Our 1999 4.2 TD - temp needle never gets to 1/2 way.
Towed our 1.4t camper up Cunninghams gap - temp not up to 1/2.
We have done outback driving; mountain ranges, plus beach driving etc - always with the camper in tow.
We do keep the speed down though -around 95k/h mainly so fuel consumption is reasonable. 12l/100 without the camper; 16l/100 with it.
The Turbo is stock - water cooled denso. No incr boost and no special exhaust.
No intercooler.

Perhaps turbo boost plus speed is the issue. Or maybe Nissan made changes to
the newer 4.2s. I cannot fault our beast. Old but brilliant.
cheers..............
AnswerID: 143705

Follow Up By: Catfish - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:30

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:30
Thanks to all you guys for the feedback.

Keith,

Have you driven up the toowoomba range on a hot day with your camper in tow? and did the temp gauge move at all?

I was led to believe by a friend who works at a major diesel service centre in Brisbane that the gauge should not move once up to temperature no matter what the conditions are. I can say this is the case with my GU 3.0L and my HZJ75.

Thanks
Chris
FollowupID: 397208

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:32

Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:32
Hi Chris - yes I have driven up the Toowoomba range with the camper - and you are exactly correct - the temp gauge didn't move past 1/2.
With all the trips we have done, once the engine temp gets up to just below 1/2, it does stay there, even on hot days with the air con on (Double Island Point beach camping in Jan this year was unbearably hot; Charleville trip Nov this year - some very hot days ).
Just returned from Clarence River near Urbenville NSW (3 days). Check out www.clarenceriver.com - 3½ hrs from Brisbane.
Brilliant - and the early morning temps were cool enough to need a jumper - (Up at 5am - drift down the driver in a canoe and watch the platypus - many of).
Yes, that was last weekend - Dec 2005. Mountains are definately the go in the hot months.

regards........Keith.
AnswerID: 143792

Sponsored Links