csr

Submitted: Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:07
ThreadID: 28814 Views:1760 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling north - south on the csr in July 2006 to well 23. Wondering about size of dunes/track conditions as we are wanting to take our camper trailer. Can someone please enlighten us! Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:37

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:37
You will get varied replies to this as all systems(vehicle and trailer) are different.

Go to my website below and click on 4x4 and then Canning Stock Route.

Going North/South is more difficult as one cannot get a straight run up the dunes.

The highest dune on the Canning was 17metres near Well 42(I think)
AnswerID: 143523

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 21:58
What sand driving have you done before bg particually towing the trailer & how hard / easy did you find it??
That way I can give you a comparison as to what you could expect.
What type of trailer & what's the tow vehicle?
Track conditions may change right up to the month you leave depending on the wind & how much rain they get. My first trip we flogged the troopy to get over the dunes as it was so loose & boggy. 10 years later I could have done most of it in 2wd.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 143565

Follow Up By: bg - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 22:42

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 22:42
We belong to a 4wd club and have done soft beach & dune driving, med to hard, 12-15psi we travel easy.
Trailer is custom made weighing approx 500kg, high ground clearance-tough!! Car is a nissan patrol gu 2.8 td.
We are well experienced 4wder's.
Thanks Craig.
FollowupID: 397074

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:16

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:16
By the sounds of it your set up will do fine. As Willem said the north south is a bit harder because of the sharp turns before the run up to the dune.

There is only a couple that I had to back up into the run up shute to get over, but i still think that this is the better way to go. The run down the south side of the dunes is a lot rougher do to vehicles digging it up trying to tear up over with to high a tyre pressure and to much speed. You almost need low first to get down.

The track between the dunes will not cause any problems, often running between them for quite a few k's before the turn to go over. Depends on the sand condition you can be in 2wd a lot between the dunes.
FollowupID: 397112

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:54

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 20:54
bg a 2.8 Nissan is probably at the lower end of the power required to tow a trailer up the Canning but quite achievable. I'd suggest you don't overload the trailer with unnecesary stuff as too much weight seems to be the biggest killer of shocks & bearings. Some of the dunes around the middle have multiple crests & can cause problems if you back off prematurely. Travelling with a second car that can scout out the dunes & tow you should you get stuck certainly makes it easier than trying to back down. The hard dunes are pretty obvious by the 400 metre run ups. Unfortunately for those heading North & refueling at well 23, the biggest dunes are immediately after when you are carring the most weight.
Cheers Craig.............

FollowupID: 397214

Sponsored Links