PS2 pin assignments - GPS & PDA

Submitted: Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 18:52
ThreadID: 28810 Views:3275 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The standard GPS receiver PS2 pin assignments as i understand them are 1=gnd, 2=5v, 4=GPS data receive, 5= GPS data transmit. You are meant to be able to plug these GPS receivers (with PS2 plug) straight into the PS2 port on your computer.

Yet when you look at the pin assignment for a standard computer PS2 port it is completely different (eg: 1=data transmit, 3=ground etc)

can anyone shed any light on how this all works??? (actually because i need to build a cable to connect my old Magellan Colortrack to plug into my new PDA car mount which has a PS2 connection)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:24

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:24
I have never done it with the two devices you mention. But many other bits over the years. The only problem that can occur is if the voltages are to different. eg may be 1.5 volts in device A but in device B may be less or more?

You don't want to cook the innards.

Basically you need to draw a map of the pin assignments for both devices. Make sure that there are matching pins for each function eg data in, data out etc. Then connect the all wires to one device plug making sure that you have a different colour for each. Then very carefully connect each one in turn to the corresponding pin, remembering that the data in and data out pins need to be crossed over. Eg device a data out goes to device b data in etc??

Hope that is clear enough

AnswerID: 143519

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:35

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:35
Drew not too sure if your powered mount is the same as the one I have, but there is a PS2 pin assignment section in the manual so you can connect mine - (Heather's actually for her Birthday) to a GPS. Am in the process of cleaning up my office so I am not sure where it is right now. Do you have a manual for yours?
AnswerID: 143614

Reply By: Member - Drew T (VIC) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:18

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 10:18
Hi Notso & JohnR. I musn't have been clear in my original post ... i know the GPS receiver & PDA car mount pin assignments & will be able to build the appropriate cable to link the two. GPS receivers & PDA mounts both seem to have the data over pins 4 & 5 per my post above.

Where i am confused is that the PS2 cable from a GPS receiver should also be able to plug into a notebook PC & when you look up the pin assignment for a standard PC PS2 port, the pin assignments are way different.

Therefore i was wondering how you are meant to be able to use the same cable from GPS receivers with a PS2 cable to plug into either the car PDA mount or a notebook PC
AnswerID: 143633

Sponsored Links