Challenger suspension upgrade

Submitted: Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 15:55
ThreadID: 28802 Views:3127 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've got a well priced offer (I believe) to upgrade the suspension of my challenger and would like to know if people think I should go for it or consider a different set-up:
40mm lift by winding up the torsion bars and replacing the original coils and shocks by king springs coils and koni adjustable shocks. Fitted, incl wheel aligment for just under $900.
What do you think?
Thanks and regards,
SLY.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wormboy - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:41

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 19:41
Also post here - http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/ and you may get assistance
AnswerID: 143525

Reply By: Member - t0me (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:31

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 02:31
Seems like a good price to me. I hear the Ranchero shocks are the best (but someone who know's will likely read this). They aren't adjustable but vary automatically based on speed. How often to you reackon you'll get under the car to adjust them anyway.
If I didn't have leaf's at the back (and nobody seems to know how/what to do with them) I'd be up for it myself.
I don't know if its worth mucking with mine anyway because I've not got LSD so I don't know if its ever going to be much chop off road.

The lift with the torsion bars takes about 10 minutes with a torque wrench according to the US Montero Sport website (how to listed there). So you're really paying for the shocks/coils and fitting, still seems like a pretty good deal to me.
AnswerID: 143603

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:29

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:29
My pajero has a similar rear end.
Done just that.
King springs and konis.

This is my opinion. Havn't tried the rancheros mentioned above.

Konis are adjustable, but really only out of the vehicle. Need to push the button in on top of the shock to engage adjustment in the bottom. 4 step adjustment. So I feel it is more for when the shock wears.

King springs I have are variable rate and the medium heavy duty. About standard to a little firmer ride about town empty, but firm up very quickly. You would need to be fully loaded all of the time to run the heavy heavy duty!

Springs cost me $200.00 a few years ago, and shocks cost me $286.00, RRP about $350.00 a pair early this year. Bloke reckons I got misquoted but he honoured the quote.
For 4 shocks and springs for $900.00 fitted sounds a good price.

Found the konis the best, especially with the heavier springs. Konis are more a rebound shock, so don't increase the stiffness on the bump as much as some others. You don't need increased stiffness on bump with the stiffer springs :-).
Set the rear konis one stop higher than stock to control the stiffer springs. Seems to work well.

About 30 minutes work for me for the springs, and about the same for the 4 shocks. Involves jacking up the rear and axle stands under the chassis, and the jack under the diff. The shocks limit the travel of the rear. I have a 900mm lift 3 tonne trolley jack, so not so hard.
Front is just as easy, but a little fiddlier. Yes, do wheel alignment. Also ask about putting spacers in the top wishbone mount to correct the camber. Standard pajero/challenger is about 0.5 deg positive. Go 0.5 degree neg and the outside of the tyres don't wear out any more. We are talking 4wd, so the handling in the corners is only marginally better with the neg camber. Have seen one paj with about 2 deg neg for road rallies, but you need longer top bolts to do it.
AnswerID: 143627

Reply By: pickle - Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:25

Tuesday, Dec 13, 2005 at 17:25
Sloyonett
Just recently got mine done on 2001 model, ARB Old Man Emu suspension for $926 discounted price for being Paj 4wd club of Vic. Great ride now and gave me 20mm extra height at the front and 50mm at the rear.
Dave
AnswerID: 143691

Sponsored Links