Stoneguard Ideas

Submitted: Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 14:56
ThreadID: 28799 Views:1914 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I'm thinking of making a full width stoneguard for the back of the Landcruiser and am interested in construction and mounting ideas. I want it to be removable.

I have gathered so far that it's not a good idea to cover the centre of the track as it will drag on the mid-track hump and kick stones up anyway. It also seems that making the flaps too low will cause turbulance and kick stones back.

If anybody has made one for an 80 series I would love to see some photos, please.

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 16:28

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 16:28
Had a mate who tried fitting stone guards to his truck, ended up with a smashed window on the Oodnadatta track. Made himself up one that fitted on the fA Frame of his Jayco Swan out of Shade Cloth. Did the rest of his trip along the track, up the Tanami and Gibb river with no further trouble.

I did the same with the O'Briens Trailer before I left and again no problems. So what I am getting at is, either just put one on the van, or put wider flaps on the truck as well as the stoneguard on the van.
AnswerID: 143487

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 16:40

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 16:40
Hi Mike

Learnt the hard way after breaking the rear window of the 80 series to have a perspex cover made for the rear window and just use a stone guard on the trailer.

Regards Ray
AnswerID: 143494

Reply By: Penguin (NSW) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 16:43

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 16:43
Thanks for the replies so far. I should have mentioned that I have a rear window cover and a shadecloth guard for over the A-Frame. What I'm trying to cut down is under-trailer damage.
AnswerID: 143495

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:46

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 20:46
Hi Mike,
Hope your all well.
I have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine, I recall seeing an 80 series around my way a few times that has a full width thick rubber (removable) that sits behind his rear wheels from left to right. It is free standing (meaning it swings when he bottoms out over rocks and stuff) and is stopped from hitting the rear wheels by a chain hooked up on the back of the rubber.

Also just a thought, I am not sure of the layout of your trailer but im assuming its a flat bottom floor, if so, would it be possible to glue thick rubber to the floor of your trailer to stop the damage caused by flying stones ?

Just thinking out loud mate, may sound silly i know, but any thoughts may help you decide which way to go.

Hope to catch up with you some time, until then safe driving.
Ange
FollowupID: 397026

Reply By: fox - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 18:20

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 18:20
Hi Mike,
Regarding your under trailer protection, we have a new Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition and they have 2 very sustantial rubber mud flaps mounted either side of the "A" frame where it meets the camper body. This in conjunction with the draw bar mounted stone deflector offers very good stone protection.

For pics, take a look at the KK web site or I can upload pics to my own server if you want a closer look.

Hope this helps
Regards and happy camping
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 143507

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 18:21

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 18:21
Penquin

Member Roachie ( who has one of everything) had the 'mother of all full stone/mud flap/guard last time I saw his truck.

I would seriously doubt if a rock the size of Aryers would penetrate or get past the sucker.

I seriously suspect he is using it for some sort of aileron lift effect when no one is looking.

However seriously though (if I ever can be when 'he' is concerned) it was a nice looking piece of engineering which was heading to the gulf on a 'test run'.

Haven't spoken to him sibce about it though.

Regards

Ken Robinson

PS

Yes! Roachie I am back after a 8 day sabbatical.
AnswerID: 143508

Sponsored Links