wind <span class="highlight">generator</span> <span class="highlight">vs</span> <span class="highlight">solar</span> panels

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 13:05
ThreadID: 18559 Views:3874 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has bothered with wind turbine generator as opposed to solar panels (or in conjunction with)?
There are some small wind generators for yachts that can pump anywhere from 100 to 400 W. They need a minimum of 11 km/h wind to start producing current, and at 45 km/h can make 400 W.
They do have parts which need servicing though such as brushes etc. A 400 W model weighs 6kg.
Anyone tried one on a 4wd? On yachts they are great, but are usually supplemented by solar panels.
400 W at 14.5 V is > 25 A, so a couple of windy hours and you should have a charged battery.
Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 13:12

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 13:12
Another few knots of wind and you can hoist the sail and save on fuel ha ha.

I think the idea is good but would be a pain in the but to pack up when you wanted to move on.
AnswerID: 88675

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 13:36

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 13:36
Oatleys electronics have some cheap kits.

I do most of my camping on the beach, howling winds are common. I'm thinking they're getting to a reasonable price.

Will be looking at them again soon. You'd need a serious regulator though, but i think setting up and taking down might not anymore troublesome than constantly re-directing my solar panels or putting up with the noise and petrol refueling requirements of my petrol charger.
AnswerID: 88678

Reply By: David Au - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 14:48

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 14:48
Shaggy mounting them mobile is a major problem. Stopping people walking into the wind generators and cable supports etc; and putting them up and taking them down. With the price of small wind generators of the 2 amp type being over $AU1,000.00 does not make them attractive.
This is the Aerogen website in the UK
This is a conversion table for wind speed
This is a price-list for wind generators in Australia.
I think that will change your mind. The price of wind generators has always kept me away from them, and also not knowing where the wind is. Pity we do not manufacture small wind generators in Australia as they could be substantially cheaper and consequently used more. Presently it is much cheaper to put up solar panels for small installations and a better known and more reliable quantity.
Another issue is getting the data for wind as the Bureau of Meteorology want to charge a you big heaps of cash for the information.

For a 400w wind generator it would cost well over $4,000.00 with mounting equipment
AnswerID: 88682

Follow Up By: porl - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 15:47

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 15:47
Oatleys are selling a 200W unit with mounting equipment for $669. I know your attitude on quality David and maybe it is cr#p but you can pick up bargains sometimes.
FollowupID: 347520

Follow Up By: David Au - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 17:14

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 17:14
Porl I did look at the Oatley Electronics website, and yes it is cheap. You cannot tell the quality and it may be a perfectly good unit. The blade needs 2.2m dia and a tower of 4.5m, and the unit weighs in at Box 1 45kg and Box 2 27.5kg without the tower. Not something you would exactly call portable to put up at the beach.
FollowupID: 347561

Follow Up By: porl - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 17:17

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 17:17
True, didn't notice the 4.5m tower requirement, that's puts quite a different perspective on on my wish list.
FollowupID: 347563

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 17:39

Tuesday, Dec 14, 2004 at 17:39
I saw a smallish set up on Fraser in August that a camper had set up looked to be about 1 metre dia with the propellor caged like a fan. Was sitting on a tripod type base about 1.8 metres of the ground... i thought it may have been off a yacht....
AnswerID: 88729

Reply By: techo2oz - Wednesday, Dec 15, 2004 at 18:23

Wednesday, Dec 15, 2004 at 18:23
Hi Shaggy,
the other disadvantage of wind over solar and their noisier cousin the generator, is regulating the output.

When you are charging batteries for example, the operation of standard regulators is to disconnect the supply once the required charge in the batteries is reached. This is fine for solar because they can go open circuit and then back on line with no detrimental affect.

However, consider a wind generator spinning at say 300 rpm. It will be outputting a nominal 14.2 volts at lets say 20 amps (a 300 Watt generator). If the batteries are fully charged, the regulator disconnects the supply. Now because there is no load on the generator, the blades will gain speed because there is no resistance. The affect of this then is that now the output from the generator is a much higher voltage and quite potentially a higher output current.

This in itself is not a problem either, that is until the battery voltage drops and the regulator switches back in. Now you have a higher voltage, high current output being fed into the batteries. In addition, the blades will act like a flywheel and will take a little while to come back down in speed.

So the offshoot of it all is that unless you have a sophisticated regulator which can maintain a load on the generator, you would very quickly cook your batteries or damage any sensitive equipment you might have hanging off them.

I have considered one myself but unless I actually get stuck in a situation where my solar setup lets me down, I think it is an idea that will just be in conceptual mode.

Cheers
AnswerID: 88925

Sponsored Links