Storing pop top caravan on sloping driveway

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 08:00
ThreadID: 148903 Views:702 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
Hi, first time caravan owner. I have recently purchased a 2021 jayco pop top caravan 15 ft that is stored when not in use on a driveway that slopes downhill away from the house. The slope is not insane but it is definitely visible and even with the jockey wheel at maximum height it is not level front to back. I have the wheels and jockey wheel chocked. 2 questions:
1. If I open the pop top up whilst the caravan is parked on the slope, will this cause any damage to the pop top function, gas struts etc?
2. Would it be safe if I had a high lift 4 wheel drive jack and used this to lift the caravan at the A frame so I can place some blocks under the jockey wheel to get it more level?

Any advice or tips are appreciated, thanks

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 08:16

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 08:16
Over the length of my 14' wind-up camper trailer I have about a 15cm slope in the driveway. I usually put a sleeper cut-off under the jockey wheel before unhitching. If I forget, I drop the hitch onto an axle stand and put in the block. I can do this without fully retracting the jockey wheel. My driveway does a dogleg at the gate onto a small apron and the slope I have to deal with depends on the exact angle of the trailer as there is a slight slope across as well.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646702

Follow Up By: Andrew D38 - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:35

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:35
Cheers, thanks Warren
FollowupID: 927430

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 09:31

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 09:31
1. No worries

2. High lift jacks are generally not recommended to be used for caravan lifting. They are too unstable. Get a jack that has a reasonable footprint on it. Alternately, use an axle stand and your jockey wheel to get a good block under the jockey wheel.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646703

Follow Up By: Andrew D38 - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:41

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:41
Cheers, thanks Peter. So just to clarify, would I lower the jockey wheel as low as it will go, and then use an axle stand to lift the A frame up so I can get a block under the jockey wheel and then raise the jockey wheel to the desired height?
FollowupID: 927432

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 14:04

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 14:04
Axle (or body) stands do not lift anything, they just support a vehicle. You raise the vans draw bar as high as you can with the jockey wheel. You then place the stand under the draw bar and lower the jockey wheel so that the stand supports the draw bar. You then retract the jockey wheel, reposition it in its clamp so the outer shaft is as low as it can go in the clamp. block up under the jockey wheel with a large, broad block or number of blocks and then again raise the draw bar with the jockey wheel. If that does not level the van to your liking, repeat the previous operation. Repeat this a number of times until the van is level.

Make sure the top of the blocks is level enough so the jockey wheel does not run off the blocks. Also make sure the base of your blocks is large enough to provide a stable support.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927433

Follow Up By: Andrew D38 - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 18:35

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 18:35
Hahah. OK I get you now, thanks for claryfying. Appreciate the tips and advice
FollowupID: 927436

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 20:44

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 20:44
Andrew.
Just an add on to Peter D. If the uppermost block you use has a hollow in it for the wheel to settle in, it reduces any tenancy to "run off the block". That block can be hollowed with an abrasive Flapper disc in an angle grinder. Just makes it safer and can be used when camping to stop the wheel going walkies.
FollowupID: 927437

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 08:50

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 08:50
Also don't make the mistake I did with our old vans and try supporting the whole weight of the front of the caravan with the caravan support stand :(( they broke ,
I have used the high lift jack for this type of thing when we were on the farm they can be very effective but very dangerous at the same time . I would use an old tree stump to place under the hitch area for stability , most importantly is to make sure that the wheels are well
Chocked . The tendency is for the trailer to want to Move sideways as well .
Good luck .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 927438

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 12:58

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 12:58
G'day Andrew.\
I open my poptop and have rolled out the awing on a slope. Nothing unusual there.
I have exactly the same situation. Unless you NEED the van to be level, then the slope runs water off the roof and doesn't pool and go dark or stains etc. I use the jockey wheel and various blocks under the wheel and A frame, and also have either an axle stand as mentioned or sometime a car jack. ALWAYS make sure FRONT AND BACK sides of the wheels are chocked to prevent any slewing sideways at the ball coupling. It can be unnerving if the van suddenly moves sideways and comes off the blocks or stands. Ok on flat ground, usually, but on a slope Murphy can take over.
I have a Hilift jack but it is not wise to use one for your situation. All the unseen forces of weight and rolling might catch you unless you can think it all out and be very aware of what can happen!
AnswerID: 646704

Follow Up By: Andrew D38 - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:38

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 13:38
Cheers, thanks for the advice!
FollowupID: 927431

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 15:18

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 15:18
Just google longer caravan jockey wheel I found 6" and 8" longer versions. If that's long enough maybe mount it on the opposite side and just use it at home.
AnswerID: 646706

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 16:26

Saturday, Oct 19, 2024 at 16:26
My jockey wheel is removable. I have one that has three positions and a larger wheel that I use at home and the original shorter smaller wheeled two position one for travelling.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

FollowupID: 927435

Reply By: Member - FSH00 - Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 13:21

Sunday, Oct 20, 2024 at 13:21
And best to NOT RELY on the jockey wheel alone when at full extension, distribute the weight between the axle stand & jockey wheel , my tow ball weight was 260kg you don’t want that dropping down on any part of you, better to be safe than in hospital ?? use 2 axle stands if it makes you feel comfortable.
Work to live don’t live to work

AnswerID: 646707

Sponsored Links