Use of Anderson plug on compressor

Submitted: Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:12
ThreadID: 148857 Views:1234 Replies:14 FollowUps:13
I have a new twin Xtm air compressor which has a maximum draw of 90 amps according to the fact sheet. A google search has me confused. Is it ok to connect a 50amp Anderson plug to it so I can extend the length of the compressor to use on my hitched caravan.
I saw the following comment on a forum
“According to the spec sheets I found, the Anderson SB50 connector is actually rated up to 120A (hot plugging to 50A)”

What are your thoughts please.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:32

Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:32
According to Anderson Plugs Australia the SB50 range is rated by UL (Underwriters Laboratories) at 120A.
UL is an American safety organisation.
Anderson Plugs Australia can be found here.
There are many plugs proclaiming to be "Anderson" when they should be saying "Anderson type" and they may not always be of the same quality as the genuine Anderson so may not safely carry the same current as the genuine plugs.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646660

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:22

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:22
G'day Allan,
That's a big claim for them.
Maybe on paper(or screen), looks really good from a sales point.
Obviously they must have tested them but that would have been brand new plugs with perfectly clean mating surfaces and new springs for max contact pressure, laboratory conditions. All down hill from the time they are fitted.
Was that a continious rating or something like a 5 second surge?
I'm betting your like me, being trained before the world of computers, something has to look like it can do the job and not just rely on a spec sheet.
FollowupID: 927381

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 09:16

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 09:16
Yair QC, it is a big claim. And I just quoted them without endorsing. Here's their cut-and-paste…….

"Low Resistance Silver or Tin Plated Copper Contacts
Allows UL rated currents up to 120 amps
UL Rated for Hot Plugging up to 50 Amps
Great for battery or other applications where the ability to interrupt circuits is required."

I have seen many references to "UL" over the years but know little about them. It seems to be tossed around rather like "Made in USA".

Just looking at the Anderson SB50's I would think that they may handle maybe 80 amps on a good day but 120A seems a stretch. As you say, spec sheets are useful but so is an experienced eye.
I have had total failure of an Anderson knock-off plug due to plastic housing deformation weakening the contact pressure. I am happier with the real Andersons.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 927382

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 09:35

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 09:35
Hi fellas . How many amps would you say the alligator clips supply with this compressor could handle when pumping a tyre up
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 927383

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 09:51

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 09:51
Depends Nick,
I have some alligator style clamps that are rated at 600 amps for jump starting trucks so just depends on their quality, I'd choose Anderson plugs every time but have an adaptor so you can lend it to people that are too tight to buy their own......or maybe a unique type that nobody else has.
FollowupID: 927384

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:56

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:56
QLD.
Yes jumper leads to work, but it is probably the cable which can carry 600 amps. The Alligator clamps have toothed jaws and touch in a few spots, and those spots have to be the current transfer points. OK if buried in a lead post to some degree, but clamped on brass terminal it is only point contact. Similar to the fingers in an Anderson plug. ONLY the contact actually happening is able to transfer current/energy.
Ever noticed when the jumper lead clamps are already on and the engine is started the clamp points usually give a little "burn in" to establish more contact. Sort of welding to enable the current. On the terminal there is usually small indented burn marks/craters evident after the use!
FollowupID: 927385

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 06:48

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 06:48
No RMD, I'm pretty sure if you read what I actually wrote and not what what you perceived I thought, the clamps were rated at 600 amps and have served me well for 4 decades. Do you think a tradesman doing heavy vehicle breakdown work would use off the shelf repco jumperleads?
Have you gone through your whole life assuming everyone is stupid? Thinking you have to explain how jumper leads work to an auto electrician with 45 plus years of experience. It's time you started thinking about what you say to who you are saying it to.
FollowupID: 927391

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:09

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:09
Once again qldcamper is making a clown of himself...keep it up...you deserve a medal for your rudeness and egotistical comments.
FollowupID: 927393

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 10:55

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 10:55
Nick said "How many amps would you say the alligator clips supply with this compressor"

I suggest he means the ones in the picture on the link for the compressor. I would not like to be using them for a sustained 90A current.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927402

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:39

Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:39
Are you certain about the 90A, seems to be much higher than what I would expect have a twin compressor that is rated at 25A which I run via Anderson SB50 plugs

Can you provide a link to your compressor?
AnswerID: 646661

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:50

Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 19:50
Yep, the spec states 120A but you need to take things like the derating charts into account to determine how much they can handle under varying ambient conditions and wire sizes.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646662

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 21:22

Monday, Oct 14, 2024 at 21:22
malken
Even though it is a twin chamber compressor, it probably only compresses ONE section at a time and so it is a single "cylinder" in reality. Unless asked to drive to it's max pressure it probably won't near 90 amps draw. If running free and simply inflating tyres, then the desired tyre pressure equates to the loading/amps loading.. If it is a pressure switch controlled cutoff, then that will cause a higher load and amp draw as it unnecessarily achieves more pressure you don't require. Maybe not use that feature if possible. I use a longer hose lead and so keep the compressor in a CLEAN environment, ie on a mat. If you have a reasonable cable size and length and a suitable hose length it should reach anywhere on the van.
Keep the Anderson contacts CLEAN and they will pass current ok!
AnswerID: 646665

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:11

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:11
My twin chamber starts up at around 90amps then settles to around 40-50 and can alter depending on load. 5 years old and have only ever used it with the grey anderson plugs with no issues.
FollowupID: 927394

Reply By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 06:05

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 06:05
I have had the kings version for a couple of years since the bush ranger died. It’s been great. The kings one had a pressure cutoff switch which is good when using a garage style inflator head at each wheel.
I have a 50a Andersen plug on mine and it works well.
They have a huge current draw so keep the car running while inflating.
Kings sell an extension hose which means the compressor can stay as close to the power source as possible. Use that for trailer tyres instead of a longer power lead and you won’t melt anything you shouldn’t.
AnswerID: 646666

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:04

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:04
My compressor said Max draw of 45 amps, I've never seen it draw more than 20 and it runs quite happily on a 3 metre extention of 6mm twin. ( at the pressures I run )
Your compressor might draw up to 90 amps if you connect it to a tyre that already has 100 psi in it and need to increase its pressure but it would only be untill it reaches speed.
The only way to be sure would be to get a DC clamp meter and measure it.
I would be supprised if a 50 amp Anderson plug couldn't do the job.
What connectors did it come with?
AnswerID: 646667

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:38

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:38
Hi malken,

Whilst not an XTM, my twin motor twin cylinder compressor came with a 50 amp “Anderson” Plug connection. The plug does not state “Anderson” on it, but it is a heavy duty plug, and the cables are also heavy duty. According to the specs, on the compressor, it is rated to draw 69 amps at maximum load. Whilst I have never checked the amps under load, I have not had any issues pumping up 6 tyres in a row, 4 car and 2 caravan. Tyre size car 285/70R17, up to 48 psi, caravan 285/75R16, up to 44 psi.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646669

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:46

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 10:46
I would be looking for another compressor......
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 646670

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 19:35

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 19:35
Some of the specs and sales blurb are scary.
90A is a huge amount of power, much more than required to compress the air. The "extra" will show as heat which is anticipated in the sales info....
................."If the unit reaches an unsafe operating temperature, a protection circuit will activate cutting off all power of the unit to prevent damage. Immediately disconnect the unit from the power source and allow it to cool if the protection circuit activates. The unit should take approximately 15 minutes to cool depending on ambient conditions."
................"+ After 5 minutes of continuous operation allow the unit to cool before restarting. Damage can
occur from continued overuse."

And this limitation....
................."Maximum Voltage: 13.8 Volt"
If you start the engine while using the compressor to run the alternator to maintain the battery capacity, the 13.8V limit at the compressor will be exceeded.

And this...
....................10.Allow the air compressor to cool completely before placing inside the carry bag. "
Which will take 15 minutes, is what they tell us.

It will be a race between overheating the compressor and flattening the battery.
I would not purchase this product.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

FollowupID: 927389

Reply By: DiggZ - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 11:13

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 11:13
As someone else has suggested, get a longer hose. It’s also easier to pull a hose around than carry the compressor.
AnswerID: 646671

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 17:46

Tuesday, Oct 15, 2024 at 17:46
They come with a 100amp fuse wow so the do apparently draw a lot of power. Looking at the piddly size of the power wires I wouldn't doubt it if they burn out before the fuse when using for long periods. I would take it back and get a better quality one and don't be too worried about getting a massive output like 250lpm a quality 150lpm will probably out last it by years and be more reliable when you need it and the claimed 15 minute cut off timer and reccomend best operating temp max of 35 deg ambiant temp is pathetic for a modern day compressor. I had a Bushranger it was a 75lpm but 14yrs old when I sold it mounted in the car and still running fine it had a lot of use over the years.
AnswerID: 646672

Reply By: Member - FLNGO - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:53

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 07:53
The XTM looks very similar to the Kings Thumper.
This link at approx 1:37min mark shows the compressor current draw test results for inflating a tire (above 90A).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2sGKHKqpNk

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646676

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 09:41

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 09:41
Better off with a Boss air PX07 31.5amp draw
FollowupID: 927400

Reply By: malken - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 15:06

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 15:06
Thanks everyone for your replies, although there are varied thoughts there’s some good points made. I’m am going to keep it and I like the extension hose suggestion.
One other question, I have 2 x 200amp lithiums in the van with an external Anderson plug connected to them. I’m thinking it should be ok if I wanted to use this as a power source for the van tyres, is that correct.
AnswerID: 646682

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 15:13

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 15:13
Malken said: ok if I wanted to use this as a power source for the van tyres, is that correct.?

Yes OK provided that the cable and fuse feeding that Anderson plug are of adequate size.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 927404

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 17:42

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2024 at 17:42
Malken.
How often would you be inflating the van tyres with no tow vehicle attached? If you use the compressor at the rear of the tow vehicle and with a reasonable length of usable lead/Cable and the hose is able to reach the front wheels, only a small increase in hose length means you have ALL tyres of the van catered for without having to delve into the van electrics. Yes you can do it if you enjoy swapping Anderson plugs!

I use an ARB compressor and an air greasegun and with the hose can grease any required points on a van as well as complete inflation.
FollowupID: 927405

Sponsored Links