Gibb River Road August 2025

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 01:47
ThreadID: 148766 Views:416 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
Is August getting too late in the season to do the Gibb River Road? I know there are lots of variables, but it’s mainly heat and whether there’ll still be water around for swimming that I’m interested in.
Thanks
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 06:39

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 06:39
Hi Stevospain,

No, August is still OK for the GRR. It is likely to be a little more corrugated than say June or July, but if you take your time, you will be fine. As for water, on average there will certainly be less water around, but that should not stop you from going if that is the only time you have.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646607

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 09:13

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 09:13
August is probably OK, but earlier is always better, from every perspective.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 646613

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 15:20

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 15:20
Macca & Peter are both correct. Corrugations are the luck of the draw. There is a 100% certainty that you will experience some stretches of awful corrugations, but if you get lucky you may also get some stretches of billiard table-like smoothness, it purely depends upon how long after the grader went through & how much traffic there has been .

Last time up there we spent from June to early September going between Derby, Kalumburu & Kunnurra.
With the traffic up there at the time it was generally taking 10 days for a freshly graded stretch of road to become horrendously corrugated once again. Graders worked full time through the season. For us the worst stretch was going north from Drysdale River Station to King Edward River. Not an inch of let up the whole way. Coming back - not a corrugation to be seen or felt!

I imagine the rockier eastern sections won't change a lot throughout the season.

The outlook will be browner & dustier in August compared to green in early June.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646617

Sponsored Links