ThreadID: 148759 Views:613 Replies:7 FollowUps:13
Hi all
New here :-)
Umm - a difficult query for me
The Ranger has a grey and red anderson plug and a 12 pin plug
i have a 200amp lithium battery and charger that uses the grey plug
the red plug was set up by Jayco to run ESC (i think) for a previous van
new (2nd hand van) is smaller and has no ESC
Can I run the 3 way fridge off the red anderson plug (I'd need to wire up separately)
or should i just use it on the caravan battery whilst it is being charged by the vehicle? On 12 volt
Or I could uses the 3000 watt inverter and run it on 240 volt ?
Thanks all
sorry for my confusing question - electrics bother me a bit ;-)
Rea58
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 12:33

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 12:33
I think the red one is for charging the vans battery.

For the fridge, you need to use an isolator to stop the fridge from draining the cars battery and the simplest way is to use an ignition relay so power is only supplied while the motor is running.

Running a 3 way fridge on 12V will draw around 15A which will very quickly drain any connected battery.

If needing to run the fridge for extended periods, you are better to run it on gas.
AnswerID: 646601

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 13:22

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 13:22
HI - so I can run the fridge on 12 volt whilst the engine is running and it won't run my car battery down?
When I am stopped it will be on Gas
it would be disconnected to the red anderson plug on the car manually
thx in advance
Rea
FollowupID: 927234

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 15:24

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 15:24
If you are stopping for an hour or 2, the fridge will stay cold just like an esky, I only use the gas overnight.
FollowupID: 927236

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 16:51

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 16:51
The red Anderson plug was a recommendation by Al-Ko to supply their ESC if it was fitted in your van. The reason for this is that the Al-Ko ESC units can misfire when you are travelling in off-road tracks. It has become a bit of an informal caravanning standard. There is no regulation to stop you from using it for other purposes, however if I was doing that I would change to another colour for use with a fridge.

Regarding the use of an ignition switched relay in the line, it is recommended by Electrolux (yes that far back) as a safety measure. The world is full of good intentions. There are also a huge number of those with good intentions who forget to disconnect the fridge when stopping for a rest stop. Many of those require assistance to restart their tug's motor. There are also who forget to reconnect the plug and lose the benefit of fridge 12V operation during the next phase of the journey. Again the choice is yours.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927240

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 12:54

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 12:54
I am sure more knowledge people will reply, however I think you are correct the red plug is for a ESC system. I've never seen it any other way.
However only a trace back of wires could confirm this )just in case someone has defied convention).
As Kazz said, you will definitely need some form of engine off disconnect system.

AnswerID: 646602

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 13:23

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 13:23
Thank you :-)
FollowupID: 927235

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 17:18

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 17:18
Rea 58

If the RED Anderson is for ESC, it also activates the brakes through that power source in an emergency. Reason is: the ESC selectively applies individual brakes if fitted.
You have no ESC , so the RED plug is spare but if thinking of using that for the FRIDGE while travelling, you would have to check and make sure the wiring is of sufficient cable size and FUSED AMPERAGE supply for the fridge to operate effectively. It is under the fridge load/current draw amount which matters. The ESC and braking doesn't use much amperage compared to a fridge so that wire/plug may be unsuitable . Others have mentioned isolation when stopped!
AnswerID: 646603

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 19:20

Friday, Oct 04, 2024 at 19:20
There are a number of variations of stability control these days, but the ALKO ESC version we had on our 2013 Jayco van, tandem axle, applied the braking to all 4 wheels constantly when activated.

It only happened to us twice within a few minutes on a very rough and winding bitumen road and you definitely knew it.
FollowupID: 927242

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:30

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:30
thank you, that was great
FollowupID: 927248

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 06:59

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 06:59
Hi Rea58,

Firstly, let me state that I am not an Auto. Elec. or a 12 volt expert, or a refrigeration mechanic, just someone who has been camping for more than 55 years.

A 3 way absorption fridge is most efficient when run on gas (LPG). Trying to run it on 240 volt via an inverter may sound like an efficient method, but both the fridge and your battery/inverter will not be very efficient. It is really no different than trying to run it directly from your battery on 12 volt. Running on a 12 volt supply from the towing vehicle whilst the engine is running will keep the fridge cold, and should not drain your vehicle cranking battery.

As far as the Red Anderson plug is concerned, yes, it is common practice to use a red Anderson plug for ESC. Can you use it to supply power to your fridge, again yes, as long as the cable size is suitable for the high current draw of an absorption fridge, it will do the job. However, you need to ensure that there is no power to the plug when the ignition is off, otherwise you will still drain your towing vehicle cranking battery.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646608

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:23

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:23
thank you
FollowupID: 927247

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:19

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:19
The easiest way is to run the fridge off the caravan battery is on 12v it would pay to check the size of the battery as well unless less it is the 200ah one you mention that is in the van. As mentioned these fridges use a lot of power we use to leave ours running off the caravan battery when stopping for fuel or ducking into the shops for a few items. The size of the battery will determine how long you can do this for it may be for half an hour or an hour so you don't run the battery too low.
You also need to see how much power your vehicle is supplying the caravan battery and the correct wire size is used so you know it's getting charged correctly in might already have a battery charger / isolater near the battery already which is a good idea.
I have tried using an inverter in the past it doesn't help it run any better it just takes more power from your battery.
AnswerID: 646611

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:32

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:32
thank you that was good info
the van battery is the 200ah mentioned
how do i check how much power the vehicle is supplying?
tar
FollowupID: 927249

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:58

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 08:58
I'm no expert others will know more but I like to keep things simple so hopefully less problems.
You need to find out how the battery in the van is being charged wether it's wired directly off your vehicles starter battery or if there is a lithium battery charger it the set up which is the more likely scenario. If there is a charger the amp output should be written on it which could be somewhere between 20 to 40 amp for example. It should also have a built-in battery isolator so when the cars engine is off the 2 battery are isolated so if you accidentally flatten the caravan battery it will have no effect on the cars starter battery.
You also need to know the size of the vehicles alternator so you don't exceed it's limit best to stay well inside it. It sounds like a bit unnecessary and maybe over whelming but it's not that bad and can save you a breakdown in the future. An auto electrician might be able to help you should try and add up within reason how many amps everything will be drawing off the alternator from lights to battery charger etc etc which can be a bit difficult with a modern vehicle but a ball park figure is a good start.
FollowupID: 927250

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 09:56

Saturday, Oct 05, 2024 at 09:56
Thank you, lithium battery charger in van is 60amp
FollowupID: 927253

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 09:53

Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 09:53
That's a pretty big charger it will recharge the battery fast so short drive of a few hours shouldn't be an issue but I still would make sure your alternator is going to cope with putting out that much power and still be able to run the vehicle with it's accessories over the long term .

FollowupID: 927280

Follow Up By: Rea58 - Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 10:07

Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 10:07
ok - Thanks Batt
FollowupID: 927281

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 12:28

Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 12:28
Vehicle alternators are self-regulating. If you attempt to draw more than their regulated capacity, they will not deliver it. Get yourself a voltmeter that plugs into a lighter socket, if the alternator does not deliver the full charging voltage with a DC-DC charger attached, look to see if there is a way of throttling back the DC-DC charger. If you can not set the output regulator of the charger to deliver less current, then you will have to find other accessories to switch off or replace your charger.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927286

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 10:49

Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 10:49
ive come in late on this subject.
Three years ago I replaced my 90 lt. dometic 3way RM2350 with a dometic 95litre 3way RM2356.
The 2356 has functions MES manual energy selection or AES auto energy selection the AES will automatically switch to gas when the engine stops and go to 240v when it is available.
If you pull in to refuel and engine off at the bowser the fridge switches 12v off and will not ignite gas for for fifteen minutes for safety reasons at the refueling point when you move off it senses 12v has become available and runs on that until the engine stops again. This runs seamless for me.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646618

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 20:10

Sunday, Oct 06, 2024 at 20:10
Rea 58
Given the above information, you can honto an auto elec everytime you want to find out something. An alternative could be, to buy a DC digital.camp.meter. With that you can measure voltage via the probes supplied, but also use the opening "clamp" section to surround any word you want to test and see on the digital readout the amperes running in that and any other wire. Starter cables down to small dia wires. Maybe no extremely accurate amp readings, but it will show you what is happening and allows you to determine what is happening and if there are faults and nothing is happening when it should be.
Usually under $50. Invaluable!
AnswerID: 646621

Sponsored Links