GPS Upgrade Question

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 06:31
ThreadID: 148664 Views:1077 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
After 10yrs the Garmin Nuvi 2797 has expired. I'm advised that the Garmin Overlander is a good product?
I notice one retailer offering "Oztopo" maps as part of the deal. The online click option said; 'Not happy with maps? with the Oztopo map popping up as the solution.
With Hema maps included with the Overlander does anyone now the story here ?

Cheers
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 07:10

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 07:10
Hi Michael M25,

I do not know anything about “Oztopo” as a mapping system, but have you considered Exploroz Traveller? There are no ongoing fees as such, you pay for a “map license” when you join. The system version is updated regularly. You could also join the Exploroz community by becoming a member.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646548

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 08:14

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 08:14
G'day Michael,
I second the Exploroz Traveller option.
Use it all the time when travelling & everything just works.
My Garmin unit & HEMA mapping has become obsolete. I even use Traveller off track on foot to locate Mallee Fowl Mounds doing our annual checks & I locate them in thick bush everytime.
So user friendly you rarely need to consult the manual & I always recommend it to my travelling friends.
Not on the payroll but just reckon it's a great product that works for me. :-)
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 646550

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 18:22

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 18:22
Another great thing I use the Exploroz Traveller for is navigation when out on the fire ground in the CFA truck.
Mobile service is unreliable in our area so google maps does not work well.
I always get the job of navigation & the Traveller app works great offline.
Just have a problem when Firecom ask for grid reference from the map book!
Oh well who wants to use the old way of using a paper map.
Having said that I still use a HEMA 4wd atlas just for an overview of where we are going & to check the auto routing is not leading me another way! A few well placed waypoints always sort that out.
Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 927183

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 18:03

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2024 at 18:03
I think you'd be nuts to buy any HEMA or HEMA related product at this time.. their entire software/cloud infrastructure is in a frightful mess right now.
AnswerID: 646554

Follow Up By: Tony W - Saturday, Sep 28, 2024 at 06:55

Saturday, Sep 28, 2024 at 06:55
I completely agree with any or all of their software / cloud products. However, their maps are second to none.

They are the only maps that I'm aware of that are regularly updated and in field tested by professionals driving a wide section of tracks with professional grade navigation systems.

Further, they are also the only mainstream maps that are identical in paper and electronic screen form. Useful for planning and laying out on a bonnet to plan the next section of the trip.

Plus, you can buy the maps, and own them forever, not just rent them for a year or two, which I believe to be a complete rip-off with suppliers cutting off the maps access so you lose access or are focred to buy a newer version that you may never need or want.

Hema needs to focus on its core strengths of mapping, and abandon its pathetic attempts to be a software company. Their thinking has been clouded by a desire to monetise through location-based advertising. they can't even do that very well.

FollowupID: 927195

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 26, 2024 at 08:05

Thursday, Sep 26, 2024 at 08:05
There is also ‘Tracker’ where family members and friends can follow your travel progress in real time if you invite them to do so and also the web version to plan trips or just view maps on a larger format.
Just so good.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646558

Sponsored Links