Hema trainwreck.. dont update your devices!

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 10, 2024 at 17:47
ThreadID: 148537 Views:1345 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Richard M29 - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2024 at 19:04

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2024 at 19:04
Same with Wikicamps again, 3 updates - BAD, avoid
AnswerID: 646494

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Tuesday, Sep 10, 2024 at 21:02

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2024 at 21:02
From the initial large change a while back which was annoying and I fixed it by a complete removal and start again but since then I'm having no issues on my Android devices.

I do feel though that there decision not to continue with the Windows version to be a backward step as sometimes I like to use it on a larger screen.
FollowupID: 927044

Reply By: Mikee5 - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 07:17

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 07:17
This extract from an email sent to me by Hema:
Software updates with critical errors

The following software updates were issued last week by the developer without the knowledge or acceptance of Hema Maps and are causing significant impacts to customers as they affect software functionality and restrict access to customer information:
Hema HX-2+ Version 1.1.5
Hema HX-2 Version 1.5.6
AMHXD-3 and HXD-N Version 1.1.6
4X4 Explorer iOS and Android app Version 2.0.6
PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THESE VERSION UPDATES AS THEY WILL MOST LIKELY RENDER THE SOFTWARE INOPERABLE.
AnswerID: 646495

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 08:38

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 08:38
You are obviously anti Hema Duncan.

How many other companies, including EO have had problems with software updates.

At least they are on the ball and advising users not to update until the issue has been rectified.

As for your statement….Stay Offline….

If you own a Hema product, it is like other units that you are prompted to upgrade and does not just happen automatically.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646496

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 15:28

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 15:28
Stehen.
Unless the HEMA company or it's programmers have SPECIFICALLY ADDED a "DO NOT UPGRADE" notice to their site, as you go to use any upgrade , whenever prompted users go to update, they might just do that without knowing and BINGO. "HEMA DOWNED".
Ok on here for Duncan to tell people but unless the average user is somehow TOLD NOT TO, the damage will happen.
BIG MISTAKE from the company, and far beyond other hiccup BUG type issues with other systems. David & Michelle have often said they test the changes on many devices and OS. HEMA appear to not have checked ANYTHING on their devices.
A bad Brainware issue.
FollowupID: 927045

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 15:30

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 15:30
I'm not sure that a lot of owners of Microsoft Windows would agree with that last line. My Pro version allows me to defer updates, but only up to 5 weeks, but it's different for the more common version.
FollowupID: 927046

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 17:02

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 17:02
RMD

Every registered Hema user, including me received an email with specific instructions not to do the upgrade until they send out another email advising users it is then ok to upgrade and not sure why Duncan called it another Trainwreck.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 927047

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 17:11

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 17:11
Stephen, we have NEVER had an update do this. Never. So please don't make statements about our updates that are untrue. This is very serious and critical issue and if you read the link supplied Hema have made it very clear that the developer has gone rogue and they have lost control of their entire cloud and all their products and if that update gets installed all their users are affected. That type of malicious behaviour is not possible when the developer is the business owner such as in our case so this comment from you is very disappointing to even suggest.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 927048

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 18:14

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2024 at 18:14
Stephen.
I have friends with Hema navigator products but not me! However, no one has said an ALERT HAD BEEN SENT OUT before YOU DID today. So people reply with the concept being delivered to them. We presume they are telling the truth.
FollowupID: 927049

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Sep 12, 2024 at 10:31

Thursday, Sep 12, 2024 at 10:31
Looks like a problem resulting from the outsourcing of development to me. Hema are not the first to suffer in this way. It happened with Wikicamps & with the CMCA's Geowiki. To my way of thinking when a company's primary products rely on software it makes sense for the company to have control over the development of that software. Off shore outsourcing will always carry risk in these situations.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 646502

Sponsored Links