Iridium Extreme 9575 & Post Paid Telstra SIM (yes that old chestnut!)

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 04, 2024 at 16:46
ThreadID: 148444 Views:1128 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
Hi, sorry to bring this up again but all the previous threads on this topic have been archived.

I have had my Iridium Extreme set up with the Telstra plan and SIM with international roam on since 2018. I use the sat phone for emergencies so basically test before a remote trip and rarely use unless there’s an emergency.

Last week I found that I couldn’t received inbound calls on the Iridium.

Texts in and outbound and outbound calls are fine.

I saw ‘Suitcase’ in QLD had this issue back in 2019. Anyone found a solution /reason as to why this is a problem now? Was fine last check 12 months ago.

Also unable to send GEOS my location after several tests on the SOS button.

Thanks everyone !
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Tony W - Thursday, Sep 05, 2024 at 06:00

Thursday, Sep 05, 2024 at 06:00
I had the same problem, I was told the problem is if you get a new SIM that allows 5G then Telstra don't enable the sat options in their system. Even if it's the same number.

It was exactly as you described.

My solution was to rent SIM's by the week from here https://www.ozsatelliterentals.com.au/

The SIM rental is not on their website, but they do it for about $18 per week last time I checked. They post the SIM, and you post it back. Very flexible and friendly. Highly reccomended.

It is actually cheaper and incoming texts are free, not $4.00, so it works out well.

AnswerID: 646484

Follow Up By: Country Mile - Thursday, Sep 05, 2024 at 11:57

Thursday, Sep 05, 2024 at 11:57
Thanks for your reply Tony.

I’ve had the same SIM card since 2018 and this issue has started in the past year so unlikely 5G related.

Unfortunately your suggestion won’t work for me as I live remote and take the Sat phone everywhere- I just rarely turn it on unless there’s an emergency.

The last time I used it was to call 000 as I came across a roll over on the highway with 5 people in the vehicle. No reception and very few people travelling past. It was important emergency services could call me back which atm seems to not be an option.

Hoping someone has had the same issue and has solved it previously.

Telstra (after suggesting I switch it off then on again)….ha ha … in their wisdom has suggested a new SIM card but I’m dubious about it……

Cheers

FollowupID: 927039

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Sep 05, 2024 at 23:01

Thursday, Sep 05, 2024 at 23:01
Just checked mine...same (can call but not receive). Checked it last 3 months ago and could receive calls then?!!

Looking forward to further info.

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 646487

Follow Up By: Country Mile - Friday, Sep 06, 2024 at 00:36

Friday, Sep 06, 2024 at 00:36
Interesting Silkwood.
Will advise if I find a solution.
Thanks
FollowupID: 927043

Sponsored Links