Bendlebry Ranges; Billy Goat Ridge

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 09:31
ThreadID: 148403 Views:876 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
What are the members experiences who have driven South Australia's Bendlebry Ranges Billy Goat Ridge Track ?
We are there for a few nights soon and were thinking about exploring some of the more challenging tracks.

Cheers
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 10:39

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 10:39
Billy Goats Ridge is not a particularly hard track really. If it wasn't for the very steep drop offs on each side it wouldn't rate in my opinion. The steep drop offs both sides and relatively narrow width make it quite butt clenching when you hit the rock steps and you start bouncing a bit. We were in a Prado with a small lift and AT tyres. It didn't get stuck anywhere. Having said that, you need to be an experienced 4wder or you'll be very daunted by it.
The scenery is spectacular which is pretty normal for the Flinders area.
AnswerID: 646458

Follow Up By: Michael M25 - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 11:38

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 11:38
Thanks Michael,
Your comments reflect those of others who have drove the track. I watched Ronny Dahl in a Troopy drive it with the Troopy's high centre of gravity. I'm more interested in the photography. Our fully tricked up FJ Cruiser with Muddies should be ok.
I'm also told the property owner checks with the drivers experience and the vehicle to keep the low ground clearance Soft Roaders off such tracks.
This is our 4th trip to the Flinders but first time to the Bendlebry Ranges. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 927013

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2024 at 09:22

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2024 at 09:22
As mentioned, Billy Goat is not particularly technically difficult, though I did witness one woman in a fairly stock Hilux get so frightened by the turn just after the rock step she got out, shaking visibly and had to have her partner continue the drive. It is a spectacular drop off just at the (slightly more) difficult step.

I believe the owner has now created some newer, more difficult tracks. Worth asking when you arrive.

Cheers, Mark
AnswerID: 646477

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 04, 2024 at 12:04

Wednesday, Sep 04, 2024 at 12:04
Start at near the 20 min mark in this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHeRP1tqF0&list=PL5tnudifMxioias2dcFx9TLC3Z84m7YEw&index=13&t=319s
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 646479

Sponsored Links