Is the Suzuki Jimny good for the Gibb River Road trip?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 07:30
ThreadID: 148368 Views:1230 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
Hi All,
I would like to tackle the Gibb River Road in January 2025. Would the 4WD Suzuki Jimny good for the trip? Tank you in advance for your wisdom.
QC
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 08:57

Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 08:57
Are you aware that’s the wet season and you may need a pontoon to ford some of the crossings
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646433

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 09:06

Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 09:06
Jimny will be fine. Take your time , and don't go in the "wet" season.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646434

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 12:20

Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 12:20
Most places along the Gibb will be shut for the wet season, the roads will probably be closed at least in part due to the rain. The heat will be unbearable. It isn’t a good time to visit.
AnswerID: 646439

Reply By: Quang C - Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 22:53

Friday, Aug 30, 2024 at 22:53
Thank you all for your comments. I will have to schedule the trip in the dry season then, perhaps early October this year.
AnswerID: 646442

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Aug 31, 2024 at 08:00

Saturday, Aug 31, 2024 at 08:00
Hi Quang,

Even in early October, some places may be closed. I would suggest you go on line to the W.A. National Parks Website and check when parks etc. in The Kimberley close. Also, there is likely to be little water at any of the waterfalls that the Kimberley is renowned for.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926996

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 09:27

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 09:27
Macca is correct & this year , based on recent temperatures - up into the mid 40's already, October could be a real doozy. Not only will most places be closed then & the temperatures high, you need to consider how much more 'remote' the route will be then with very little other traffic. The high temps won't just affect you, they will place a great deal more pressure on your tyres & your vehicle in general. You may find it impractical to drive with air con on due to the need to reduce pressure on the engine to keep it cool.

If you are able, the best time to go is very early in the season, as soon as possible after the road opens. Generally late May/early June... but it can vary from year to year. At that time instead of brown dust, things will still be green & all the main attractions will be at their best with water flowing. Places will be open & there will be others on the road, although if you get in early enough river crossings may still be putting off the less adventurous, so it wont be too busy & if you have time to wait at crossings that are too deep (with plenty of provisions on board) you would have the best adventure.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 927010

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 10:07

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 10:07
As the others have said, don't go too late in the season. The gorges will be dry and/or green and it will be hot. Our experience in June was a million times better than our friends who went in October. We swam at every gorge and had a great time, can't wait to get back. They spent days stuck in the car on a corrugated dusty road with it being too hot to get out and too dry to swim.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 927011

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Aug 31, 2024 at 19:01

Saturday, Aug 31, 2024 at 19:01
Hello - Jimny fine - it's just a gravel road (albeit remote, with some large "gravel"). You could drive a Hyundia Getz down it (driving to conditions). Some side roads a different story but Jimny great option. As others have indicated, time of year is a more important consideration. Did it in 1998 in RAV 4 easy peasy - so you will slay it.

Cheers
Greg (my real first name)
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 646453

Follow Up By: Zippo - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 10:41

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 10:41
A Getz (or i30 ...) may struggle with the Pentecost. But a Jimny would probably float across the deeper bits.
FollowupID: 927012

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 18:11

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 18:11
With any low clearance vehicles wheel placement on the tricky bits would be the key (if you could see under the water :).. but I have no doubt you could do it. It's not a "4WD" track, though agree you would have to desperate/crazy to take a normal car down there.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 927016

Reply By: Quang C - Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 14:01

Sunday, Sep 01, 2024 at 14:01
Many thanks for your invaluable advice!
AnswerID: 646461

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Saturday, Sep 14, 2024 at 15:02

Saturday, Sep 14, 2024 at 15:02
Agree with what others have mentioned about your January 2025 departure..
In regards to your Jimny, it will do the trip..but with a few caveats regarding you the driver..
1/. The road in places can be very rutty and with the small wheel base of the Jimny..it would become a bit uncomfortable after a few k's of corrugations.
Just be known..you are going to get uncomfortable and tired..
So take in mind, long day driving distances will be a challenge..
2/. The Jimny has a petrol engine with a small fuel tank..about a 600km range in perfect conditions.."the Gibb ain't perfect conditions"..and you will be carrying stuff..so the vehicle will weigh higher..so that 6ltr /100 you get?...
nah..work on doubling that..
So drop that 600k range back to about 400-450km and from that work out your stopping and refuelling places..because it gives you a 100 -150km buffer to play with.
Learn and practice on how to use the vehicles trip A & B computer, combine this with using the ExploreOz Traveller App whilst travelling offline at the same time.
It's very very handy...
3/. Tyres, the standard tyres..nah..go and get some good quality AT tyres with very good sidewall protection and a compact block tread pattern..including the spare!!!!!
4/.Get a decent hand held 5watt UHF or get one inbuilt into the vehicle and a PLB..you will need these..and learn how to use them..please.
5/. First Aid kit..including a snake bite bandage...and practice how to use the kit plus the bandage..you might not need to use it, but you may come across someone who will.
6/. Fuses and circuit breakers..find out where they are located in the vehicle..then go and get some spares of BOTH, specific to the amps of your vehicle.
Some circuit breakers aren't cheap..but worth their weight in gold..
I have seen people stranded all because a circuit breaker or a fuse has shite itself, they have stopped for a break and tried to start to vehicle after a long of hours driving.
7/. Take out the highest Roadside Service plan ie NRMA / RACV have as they will be your backup.
Apart from that..have fun and enjoy yourself..
AnswerID: 646510

Sponsored Links