Waeco cfx 65 Fridge problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 12:00
ThreadID: 148129 Views:1345 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
My Waeco fridge has been playing up recently. Sometimes the compressor wont turn on despite being over temperature. Other times it turns on and keeps running as if it was in emergency mode. It doesn’t even stop when turned of on the power button. Plus the orange indication light is on, which should indicate that the compressor is of. Which it isn’t. The Thermostat is working. So I’m guessing it’s one of the pcbs. I would really appreciate any help. As I’d like my food not to be frozen solid anymore ??
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 13:08

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 13:08
I cannot figure how you can be so sure that "The thermostat is working".
From your description of its behaviour it sounds like a board fault. There are 2 PCB's, one at the control panel and the other the main board and it could be either. At about $150 each you are gambling to purchase one, then perhaps the other only to find swapping these did not cure the problem.
You may be better to take it to a qualified repairer.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 646304

Follow Up By: Bela S - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 13:18

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 13:18
Thank you Allen. The thermostat should be in working order. I unplugged it and measured it’s resistance. It read a resistance of about 27k ohm in frozen state and immediately lowered in resistance after being removed from the unit. I’m not 100% what the exact ohms should be but it seems to be working fine. I will probably just end up taking the gamble as I’m trying to avoid a costly repair.
FollowupID: 926821

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 13:31

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 13:31
The thermistor is 10k ohms at 25'c.
And I was trying for you to avoid a futile attempt. If you purchase a replacement PCB it may be possible to buy from a source that will allow returns.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 926822

Reply By: RMD - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 16:16

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 16:16
Bela S
How is it still frozen if over temperature?
I would be looking very closely at the circuit board solder joints for EACH and EVERY component on the board/s. Possibly one has become a higher resistance than it should be. If a component is not connected properly through it's solder to the circuit copper, then strange things will happen. I use two magnifying systems, not quite microscope though, to see if the pins are corroded or have a line around the solder, indicating a dry joint or loose joint. Look at the heavier wires involved as they can fatigue the solder and cause problems. if finding a fault, resoldering might be a solution. Use a white LED lamp to accentuate/highlight any anomalies of solder surface on the pin throughs.

If it has an EMERGENCY switch for cooling override, I would switch it on and off a few times to make any dodgy connection associated with it to have a rethink.
I agree with Allan re, the ohms resistance of 10K at 25C.
AnswerID: 646306

Follow Up By: Bela S - Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 16:42

Wednesday, Aug 07, 2024 at 16:42
Hey RMD thank you for helping me with my problem. I have managed to narrow the problem down to the electronic starter, by swapping out all the parts from a broken donor fridge from the local dump. Unfortunately its electronic starter is also broken, as the fridge won’t even turn on when swapping it out. Changing the other pcb, display, override and thermostat left me with nothing but the same problem. The pcb of the starter module looks surprisingly clean and I couldn’t find any signs of corrosion, blown capacitors or other damage. But I will have another look now that I have a donor board. Speaking of which, these things are surprisingly expensive to replace. With the cheapest I could find costing over 300$?! I must not be the first person to run into issues with this component.
FollowupID: 926825

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Aug 08, 2024 at 18:39

Thursday, Aug 08, 2024 at 18:39
Bela.
If the donor bits have the same hidden problem, how do you eliminate one or the other to determine it is what is called a starter circuit. Perhaps the fridge capacitors look perfect but but maybe one OR MORE is not acting as the capacity value printed on it's case. Why I say this is. A lady friend of mine had a Westinghouse home fridge which "would not switch the motor ON". I removed the PERFECT LOOKING CIRCUIT BOARD, and removed some larger, timing capacitors from the board. I have a tester and found two of the vital, ON delay timing capacitors had almost no capacitance value. Jaycar trip and a bit of soldering saw the fridge resume duty for 2 1/2 years until the motor seized, then Kaputt. I would be testing them unattached to the circuit with a multimeter which indicates capacitance values. Just a possible reason. Worth a try! If it starts sometimes and not others, it to me, indicates capacitance altering, maybe with temp or climate/moisture in air and or dust on components leaking stored capacitance values
FollowupID: 926845

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Aug 08, 2024 at 00:25

Thursday, Aug 08, 2024 at 00:25
Caravansplus $135 + $11.40 delivery if it's the factory wifi model they say only 1 left.
AnswerID: 646310

Sponsored Links