T Box android

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2024 at 18:02
ThreadID: 148099 Views:1343 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
I purchased the AI box through the link on here and it has just arrived :)

I have it ordered for my 300 series which is a few weeks away from delivery and in the meantime, I would like to have a fiddle with it because I am impatient.

I purchased the higher memory one with its own SIM card slot.

before I stuff things up can someone, please tell me if

* I need to have it plugged into Android auto on a head unit or can I do anything on a computer to download the apps that I wish to have on it onto a SD card

* I have an aftermarket Android head unit in my current 200 with Android auto available, so perhaps I can plug into that or am I going to confuse it?

* Im loath to touch it without some guidance and perhaps I should just curb my impatience and wait

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Loddo48 - Friday, Aug 02, 2024 at 10:26

Friday, Aug 02, 2024 at 10:26
I also have purchased one as well and installed a 16 g memory card which I have loaded quite a few songs on via computer. I also have tried a Telstra data sim card and no matter what I try it will not work so it is now back in the modem. I now hot spot to my phone and it all works. I have loaded my mapping software on to the unit and that is working fine as well. Regarding using it in the 200 series go for it as it will work ok and anything you load up is put on the internal storage of the unit so when you move it to the 300 series it will be ok.
Good luck and happy playing with the new toy.
AnswerID: 646282

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Aug 02, 2024 at 10:38

Friday, Aug 02, 2024 at 10:38
Thanks, I will purchase a memory card today when I get to town and then start fiddling. I guess its mostly intuitive, but I was hesitant to jump in.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926778

Reply By: Rainman WA - Friday, Aug 02, 2024 at 14:14

Friday, Aug 02, 2024 at 14:14
Hope you have better luck than me. I've purchased two units for use in my 2021 Prado and havent been able to get either to connect to the factory head unit. I sent the first unit back for a refund a few weeks back and will sending number 2 back tomorrow.
Tech support for the second purchase (from Exploroz link) tried their hardest to get mine to work, but eventually told me to send it back. I suspect the issue is the factory Toyota head unit, rather than the Tbox
My next step will probably be a Vhedia replacement head unit at around $1000. :-(
AnswerID: 646283

Reply By: Loddo48 - Saturday, Aug 03, 2024 at 11:26

Saturday, Aug 03, 2024 at 11:26
Rainman
My one is mounted in a 21 Prado and I had no problem getting it to connect to the head unit . Does the box light up when connected to the data usb port near the armrest of the centre console, once powered up it will take a few seconds to display on the Prado screen, are you not getting it to power up or is it not displaying on the screen at all?
AnswerID: 646285

Follow Up By: Rainman WA - Tuesday, Aug 06, 2024 at 12:13

Tuesday, Aug 06, 2024 at 12:13
Both powered up OK but then my phone displayed a message asking me to enter the password for my secure Samsung folder. If I entered the password or ignored it, the message disappeared and then my phone would indicate it was searching for Anroid auto continuously until the unit either shut down, or I gave up.

I presume you still have the factory head unit, so out of interest, can you tell me what software versions your unit is running. From what I can seen mine hasnt been updated from factory, but I've heard there were some updates released to fix issues with bluetooth.

Tech support from Carlinkit eventually came to the conclusion that the unit wasnt switching from Carplay to Android when it was plugged in which doesnt make a whole lot of sense as I reset the settings to start up with Android auto.
FollowupID: 926811

Sponsored Links