Dune 270 awning

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 21:09
ThreadID: 147967 Views:560 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
Hello members,

I was looking at the 270 awnings and came across Dune by Anaconda..
https://www.anacondastores.com/search?text=Dune%20270%20awning

The cheaper one looks a lot similar to oztent foxwing and the ultimate looks a lot similar to rhino batwing.

Any idea if they are indeed a rebranded version?
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter J4 - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 07:24

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 07:24
We've had a couple 270 awnings over the years and I would suggest you don't buy one that has seperate poles or indeed one that requires poles to make it stable.
The time taken to erect one with poles will mean that it can't be used for short stops like a cuppa on the side of the road in wet weather unless you have the time and space to do so. The first one we had was one of the early Rhino rack Batwings and even after carting it on the vehicle for over ten years could count on your hands the number of times we used it due to the hassle of erection and stowage, never mind carting the seperate bundle of poles.
Then there is the occasion of a storm approaching and the haste to pack it away as they present a huge wind area so unless the arms and hinge point are very strong they can easily get damaged.
AnswerID: 646133

Follow Up By: kratos - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 11:05

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 11:05
thanks @Peter J4... what you are saying makes sense, the only problem is that freestanding ones cost a fortune like $1200 - $1500 and upwards; thats a lot of money for an awning.

The newer batwing and the Dune ultimate, I think have poles fixed to the awning, so atleast you dont have to attached detach always and keep in separate bags. I was thinking thats a good tradeoff since you just unfold the leg from awning and leg itself can be pegged for light wind. Thats the minimum amount of work for a non-freestanding awning I think.

Also weight was another factor, Depending on the usage I thought I might look for a removable bracket like Racksbrax. but thats just a wishlist as of now.. that bracket is also very expensive $200-$250 for the bracket.
and If it doesnt fit your factory mounts then another $150-$200 for adaptor plates...that sucks.
But still I wanted the awning to be around ~20-22 KG weight, so that I can lift it myself.

FollowupID: 926604

Follow Up By: Peter J4 - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 17:57

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 17:57
Yes the later one with the integral poles seems a much better idea, in fact we suggested and others that when we first got ours and a few years later they strengthened the pivot point and made the arms with the drop down poles.
You still need guy ropes if wind is expected especially in soft terrain.
FollowupID: 926608

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jul 06, 2024 at 07:15

Saturday, Jul 06, 2024 at 07:15
Hi Kratos,

My experience with light weight gazebos is that they bend very easily. Have seen many of them bend and even snap without very much pressure.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926611

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Monday, Jul 08, 2024 at 11:13

Monday, Jul 08, 2024 at 11:13
I have the kings 270 on the raxbrax at present. They are such a simple bracket that they make loading the near 30 kg awning a breeze on my own. They are worth every penny. The kings has surpassed any expectation I had of it too.
FollowupID: 926633

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 06, 2024 at 07:04

Saturday, Jul 06, 2024 at 07:04
Regardless of the make , if staying overnight, it is important to ensure the poles are pegged down. I,ve seen several 270 degree tents ruined because the owners did not expect to get a gust of wind and unfortunately the tents were lifted and severely damaged. Built in poles are definitely the go. Dont be afraid to use a cheaper model. If pegged down properly they will last for years.
AnswerID: 646136

Sponsored Links