Inverter power for Microwave unit

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 12:38
ThreadID: 147960 Views:575 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
I am considering the purchase of an inverter now since we seem to have overcome a lack of battery power, after we installed 4 solar panels on the van (around 400 W plus), with two 100a/h deep cycle batteries and a DC/DC charger in the van boot. These have served us well for the past 3 years without the need to cart a Genset.

We also have a 160W folding panel with 10 metre cable to top up batteries if necessary when too cloudy or shaded along the banks of the Ashburton.

The other backup is to run the tug to the van through the DC/DC for a quick top up.

We have an LG microwave which rates 1200 W surge rating & 800 W run rating and any useage would normally be only for a few mintues for heating an item - not cooking.

I am wondering whether a 1000 W inverter could handle the minimal start up surge if it maxes out to 1200 briefly or hould I only consider a 2000 W unit please?

Thanks in advance.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 15:20

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 15:20
Are those numbers for the LG cooking power or power input requirement? They can be very different.
Check the rating label on the back.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 646126

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:04

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:04
Thanks Peter – Gets a bit messy pulling it out – removed the shroud and came across another 4 sets of fixings that still need to come out at least so called it quits before I stuff it up as usual.

Consulted the Tech Specs again and and I might have found a flaw in my assessment – correct details are : Power Supply 1230/240V -50Hz, ‘Rated Power Suppy’ 1200 W, Microwave Output 800W* (* = IEC 60705 Rating Standard),

I made an assumption the 1200W was the ‘start up’ rating, with the draw whilst operating as 800W.

But if the power draw is constant at the 1200W, then the 1000W inverter would be inadequate I guess?

Regards – Phil (Bookkeeper – no tech background and totally out of depth with 12 electrickery)
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926588

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:16

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:16
You will need an inverter with at least 1300W capacity and I reckon your LA batteries will struggle to deliver the required power for very long at all. As the voltage drops, the amps will increase even more to compensate.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 926590

Reply By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:01

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:01
P & J
I have a sharp Microwave which I run on an inverter. It is about 800w cook power BUT it draws around 1400 watts of 220/240 while running.
I recently had my 24v / 3000watt inverter replaced. While waiting I used a 24V/1500 watt inverter for similar use as you mentioned. Running ON 24v it draws around 48 to 50 amps.
Being a 12v system you would see approx 100 amp draw. The cables from battery to inverter have to be able to carry that with minimal loss, because of resistance/voltage drop. All connections very clean and excellent ability to pass current.
Not sure what you have in that circuit, but I have a very heavy battery switch which decided not to pass much current. it got warm, nut should not have done that. Although NEW, I opened it and found the copper contacts had become scummy after storage. After a clean there is now no voltage drop across the that heavy switch. Perhaps you need a 1500 watt Inverter so it can handle the start load and make sure when you get it running you test across each lead/termination to battery and inverter posts and also the whole length of cable, Done with a multimeter/volts, you therefore can pick up any area where undue resistance may cause a problem.
Are your Deep cycle batteries able to deliver 50 amps draw each without damaging them?
AnswerID: 646128

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:11

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:11
Well that is an interesting observation and clearly described as far as the exercise went, thanks RMD. You are probably correct about the 1500W unit, I wasn't aware they were around that size - usual assumption from inadequate research.

As far as the existing batteries capacity - that is way out of my scope - should be solid units, not purchased from a dodgy dealer, but I can check that with the supplier.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926589

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:29

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 16:29
Phil.
Many batteries have a discharge figure on their case, your may have that stated on the side.
Forgot for above! Perhaps use a WATT meter , ie , 240 v a POWER METER to read the ACTUAL watts while the Mwave is running so you can decide on the Inverter size required. A little bigger than minimum is better!
Just went and tested the small microwave with my Wattmeter and it uses 1300 watts, so 108 amp on 12v inverter, while running. Previously I said 1400 W. The heating power is 700 or 800. not sure there. It isn't a big one.

About charging your van batteries from Tug. Although dc dc in van, the two batteries will be 50% slower to reach their desired charge voltage because ONE DCDC is charging two batteries. If a 20amp DC DC, that is only 10 amps for each battery, and if 50% discharged you are looking at 5 hours + of run time min. to get the batteries up a reasonable amount, if that is only what is used.

With 400wTHEORETICAL WATTS on the van roof, you will NEVER get that output, Maybe 300w in ideal conditions. depending on panel quality of course, and any high output is only for a short time period during the day.
FollowupID: 926591

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 19:17

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 19:17
Quote - "As far as the existing batteries capacity - that is way out of my scope - should be solid units, not purchased from a dodgy dealer, but I can check that with the supplier."

Phil, If you supply the make and model of the batteries, there are people on the forum capable of doing some research on them and can advise if they are suitable for your expectations.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926596

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 18:04

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 18:04
Taking on board the details provided by Peter and RMD, just wondering about how much drain on batteries would be incurred if on in use for a few minutes - the unit will not be running like a frig or fryer - only long enough to 'zap' a prepared meal, say 3 minutes max?

The only other time it might be used is possible phone chares or a power tool - but this can be one without an inverter if needed.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646132

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 19:17

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 19:17
Phil
If, theoretically you ran the inverter at 100 amps for an hour , that would be 100AH of use and close to or exceeding the usable normal discharge amount for battery life. Therefore. 5 mins is 1/12 of that amount. About 8 AH used.for the 5 mins. Good for warming your bedtime milk etc. So ok there if the electricals are all up to it. Running and inverter to charge phones is more simply done with a 12v to 5v charge unit, ie, a dash ciggy charger. It will be handy for 240v power tools OR for running their Lithium based chargers.
FollowupID: 926595

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 19:44

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 19:44
The limitation will not be the storage capacity of the batteries, but their ability to discharge over 100A without the voltage crashing.
This is a function of the rate that the chemical reaction to make electricity can take place.
Crank batteries have many thin plates to allow this chemical reaction to take place faster than deep cycle batteries which have fewer, thicker plates.

You could rig up a 100A+ load and try it while measuring the battery voltage to see how long before the voltage comes down to (say) 10 or 11 volts. After the load is removed, the voltage will recover, but that is not the problem and dose not help much.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 926598

Follow Up By: RMD - Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 21:42

Thursday, Jul 04, 2024 at 21:42
Phil.
I agree with Peter and mentioned earlier the ability of the discharge of the batteries. Worth checking. Unfortunately with 12v a high wattage 240v output needs double what a 24v system dc ampere flow is for the same energy delivery to the inverter.
FollowupID: 926601

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 11:18

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 11:18
As well as the battery volt-drop that Peter referred to above, it should be noted that the battery rating of 100Ah is sure to be at the 20 hour discharge rate. At higher rates such as the here nominated 100 Amps then the battery delivery capacity is significantly reduced and should be factored into battery performance.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 926605

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 11:44

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 11:44
Thanks Alan - and to Peter & M, PeterD, RMD, Macca and of course 2517 – yes there may be another way.

As expected from past experience from many years association with Exploroz, the advice available from you guys is invaluable from both the technical knowledge and the practical experience learned from ‘been there done that’.

There are times though to factor in the variations in the gear we all use because there are so many different configurations available in the many vehicles – e.g. you could write a book about the different batteries and specifications of each it seems and on top of that there are the wiring specs, thickness, length etc, before getting to all the gadgets the ‘power’ is being processed through.

I have wads of notes jotted down now about what my regulators, controllers, chargers etc. can and can’t do, and still come up blank when I think of another modification that ‘might be handy’.
I will now get back to the auto sparky who provided the batteries – buried under a mass of cables and no descriptions on top, and put a few questions to him – which I should have thought of earlier.

Will let you know the outcome in due course.

This is what happens when you find yourself confined to barracks after finding out your ‘pretty heavy cold’ tests positive to covid after feeling a bit blasé all this time without it.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926606

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 13:03

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 13:03
Hi Phil,
I’m pleased that you feel you have benefited from the contributions. The thing is that there are so many variations available and we all look to “Do it my way”. And we can after absorbing expressions from others.

I find the Yanks fascinating. Now that I have moved to the Dark Side and drive a MB Sprinter I watch a US forum on Sprinters set up as motorhomes or campervans. They try to be individualistic but end up following a common style of tiled flashbacks, commercial style sinks & plumbing ware, timber ceilings, coin pvc flooring, huge 120v inverters and induction cooktops. It is really lemming-like amusing.

And Phil, it really is very pleasing to have you thank us in such a nice way and for your appreciation for our offerings. Cheers Mate.
Oh, p.s. Sorry about the Covid.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 926607

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 07:43

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 07:43
Hi Phil,

Firstly, let me state that I am not an Auto. Elec. or a 12 volt expert.

Here are a couple of things to consider. Firstly, your Deep Cycle battery needs to be able to discharge the required amperage for the time that the microwave is running. As an example, if the battery has a continuous discharge rating of 100 amps, but the microwave draws 150 amps, your battery BMS is likely to shut down.

Secondly, and no offence intended, by using simple arithmetic, if the microwave draws 1,200 watts, and your inverter is only 1,000 watts, then the inverter will trip trying to run your microwave.

I like good coffee, in the back of my car I have a 1,500 watt coffee pod machine, this is powered from a 175 AmpHr Auxiliary LiFePo4 battery with a continuous discharge rating of 250 amps, via a 2,000 watt inverter. This battery is charged when the vehicle is running by a RedArc 1240 DC/DC charger that also has a Solar input that I connect a 200 Watt folding solar blanket to when stationary.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646134

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 19:33

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 19:33
Macca.
You appear to have given decent though to your system. With a components sized sufficiently to provide what you need.
Good job!
FollowupID: 926609

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jul 06, 2024 at 07:10

Saturday, Jul 06, 2024 at 07:10
The other thing I forgot to add was that all the cables connecting the vehicle to the DC/DC Charger, the auxiliary battery to the charger and the battery to the inverter are all 6B&S.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926610

Reply By: 2517. - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 09:18

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 09:18
Maybe there is another way to solve this problem.
AnswerID: 646135

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 10:48

Friday, Jul 05, 2024 at 10:48

Feel free to guide us all forward in alternate ways to solve the problem. AS Pauline says, Please Explain!
FollowupID: 926603

Sponsored Links