80 series centre diff lock not engaging

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 23, 2024 at 17:37
ThreadID: 147890 Views:625 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
Hi all,

I’ve got a 94 turbo diesel 80 series that I only drive about once a month.

A few months ago, I noticed that when engaging the centre diff lock through low range or the dash switch, the light on the dash went crazy on and off in an inconsistent way and a clicking sound coming from under the dash and after about 2 to 10 seconds, it worked fine and disengaged fine at the end of the track.

Now it won’t engage at all and no dash light at all and no sounds at all whether it’s low range or with the dash switch.

The 30amp fuse is fine. It’s the only fuse I know of for it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Jun 23, 2024 at 19:09

Sunday, Jun 23, 2024 at 19:09
Bucky
I would be looking closely at the wiring loom condition and for any damage or having been chewed by rats etc. I f sitting unattended for a period, a rat attack is highly likely.
My SIL has a V8 Commodore next to his house. In the engine bay below radiator there is 120 mm of a thick wiring loom completely GONE. About 12 wires cut cleaner than I could with sharp side cutters. No joke!
AnswerID: 646063

Reply By: Peter J4 - Monday, Jun 24, 2024 at 07:28

Monday, Jun 24, 2024 at 07:28
I've been travelling with 80's that have had this problem a couple of times over the years and both times it's been the actual motor on the actuator at the transfer case, water ingress into the little electric motor and little gear that does the work. The first time on a relatively new 80 it was replaced under warranty the second time was out in the desert after lots of water enroute and the bloke actually had a spare unit that he had picked up from the wreckers aand had carried for several years.
The original in both cases was beyond repair.
AnswerID: 646067

Follow Up By: Member - Warren H - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024 at 13:13

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024 at 13:13
I had a friend with a Fortuner that had a problem getting the front diff to engage after moderate rain and lots of mud splashing up under the vehicle. We found this on the hilux forum which may help:
Differential vacuum actuator repair.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926535

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Monday, Jun 24, 2024 at 09:25

Monday, Jun 24, 2024 at 09:25
Good luck.. this is probably not going to be cheap to repair.. relevant video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZSMHCdji8
AnswerID: 646069

Reply By: RMD - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024 at 13:40
Most of these systems have a time out function, so when the action is, or is not achieved, there is a halt to the system. If it can achieve the action, there is a feedback circuit which closes via contact or switch designed into the motor unit housing to tell the Controller ECU it has arrived in position. If not, it flashes and times out. The ECU controller simply reverses the motor to take out the lock and again a feedback switch operated the other way to close a contact to say it has been returned to OPEN. Then the controller goes into idle mode as is normal.

The mention of a vacuum operated unit just increases the complexity with NO motor to make the change, but a vacuum chamber controlled by electric vacuum valves to operate the changer. Therefore, two conceptual systems to deal with if problems arise.
AnswerID: 646071

Sponsored Links