T-Van in financial trouble.

Submitted: Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 15:34
ThreadID: 147880 Views:1517 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
"In a significant shock for the Aussie RV market, restructuring firm Cor Cordis have been appointed as Voluntary Administrators of Harvey Technology Pty Ltd and Outback HQ Pty Ltd, trading as Track Trailer, as of Thursday, 6 June 2024. This move comes as Track Trailer navigates through a tough economic landscape."

T-Van company in strife. 4x4 magazine has the story. Everybody buying caravans instead ??

https://mr4x4.com.au/track-trailer-enters-voluntary-administration/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Upset+in+the+industry+as+Aussie+manufacturer+goes+into+administration&utm_campaign=PC+Newsletter+#487

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - WA 1968 - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 17:08

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 17:08
Interesting article Jim. We also think that a lot of RV travellers are moving towards Hybrid type vans. We have just sold our Kimberley Kamper Trailer and had to reduce price significantly to clear it before our new AOR Matrix arrives. It just seems folks don't want camper trailers anymore.
AnswerID: 646052

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 18:00

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 18:00
If it hasn't got a toilet and shower ...

I think once manufacturers figured out how to include them in smallish caravans that could also venture off the bitumen (and further) camper trailers as we knew them were just about done for.

FollowupID: 926518

Follow Up By: Briste - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 19:22

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 19:22
Karavan. Compact, composting toilet, internal shower. Pricey but. Apparently there is a Chinese knock-off that is now available in the US, no sign of it here.

The Track Trailer administration is not exactly breaking news. The story broke around 7 June.

Some of the other iconic local brands (Ultimate, Kimberley, Complete Campsite) have gotten into difficulty in recent years and have come out the other side. It would be tragic if the Tvan didn't survive.
FollowupID: 926519

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 20:41

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 20:41
Across Australia the established RV stops are more often than not limited to "self-contained" vehicles only. This rule persists even when facilities like toilets and shower blocks are provided. Sometimes camper trailers are specifically "not permitted", despite the fact that some, like our Ultimate camper trailer, are fully self-contained with no ground contact, similar to caravans leading to confusion. We have inside kitchen, toilet, and grey water holding tank. There are other camper trailers that meet this criteria too.

It's hard for buyers presented with this knowledge but for us personally we like flexibility and that's only possible because we don't have a van. We value privacy more than company when determining a good camp. We like our offgrid, offroad, SC setup but seems we are now the minority.... I am amazed at the volume of "large" rigs on the road. Many of the travellers often eventually admit they are intimidated etc by some aspects of travelling that we dont have to take into account - narrow winding roads, turning circle etc, they make people less likely to explore with confidence and that's such a huge shame and is something we don't want to give up in a hurry.

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926520

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 21:06

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 21:06
“I am amazed at the volume of "large" rigs on the road.”
Like this David and Michelle?

If ever anything was likely to be self contained it’s this. With its similarly configured mate there was some grief finding them a place to park at Copi Hollow near Menindee.
It’s not wrong, just different as some might say.
FollowupID: 926521

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Jun 27, 2024 at 18:21

Thursday, Jun 27, 2024 at 18:21
We travel in a 13ft hybrid van…Lifestyle Iconn….inside porta potti, but never used for 2’s….no provision to capture grey water, but we have had no problems finding free camps and have never (yet ) encountered RV stops with self contained rules.
But we prefer to camp out of the way if we can…..but a few caravan parks have crept in as well.
But it is getting harder to find good free camps….especially with the surge of hip camps, which we try to avoid, mainly because of cost.
FollowupID: 926538

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jun 28, 2024 at 05:29

Friday, Jun 28, 2024 at 05:29
Gronk, I will do a Pauline, please explain, "Hip Camp"? Cheers
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926540

Follow Up By: Briste - Friday, Jun 28, 2024 at 09:18

Friday, Jun 28, 2024 at 09:18
Hipcamp is a booking facility for camp sites, which seems to be mainly for staying on farms and properties without any or many facilities. There's a website and an app. As was said, the price seems to be on the high side for what you get, which I think has a fair bit to do with the platform cost. I think I've only used it once.
FollowupID: 926542

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 29, 2024 at 15:03

Saturday, Jun 29, 2024 at 15:03
"But it is getting harder to find good free camps….especially with the surge of hip camps, which we try to avoid, mainly because of cost."

Gronk, I don't think Hipcamps are swallowing up free camps. They are run on private property, they are alternative type places and they seem to charge too much for me to use them.

John, look at these links - Find yourself outside. Scroll up. - Camping in Australia

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926550

Reply By: Member - WA 1968 - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 21:02

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 21:02
Absolutely David and Michelle…we were “kicked” out of a shire 48 hour site because of the inability to collect grey water from our kitchen on our Kimberley Kamper..even though we had a massive bucket to collect waste water.
AnswerID: 646053

Follow Up By: tim_c - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024 at 13:46

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024 at 13:46
They were probably suspicious of where you were going to empty that bucket when it was full, or time to leave (not that it really should matter much, assuming you're using degradable soaps).
FollowupID: 926536

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 22:14

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 22:14
These are limited where they can be used by current rules applied in some places.
Although I purchased a Tvan in 2005, used until 2016, there were some shortcomings. They are expensive for what they are. A good unit overall. Build quality? Won't buy again!
A few built in faults from factory.
Because the steel inner panels are pre coated colourbond material, the manufacturer DID NOT remove the oily film on it's surfaces, but simply added Silicon sealer between floor and panel, ie, no sealing achieved. It let copious amounts of dust inside. The road could be seen between the gaps, both sides, which was concealed with floor carpet. I did seal them properly!
Many large Philips head screws on the rear hatch had their crosses obliterated by the fitter of those parts with a impact gun driver. Difficult to replace.
The inner wheel bearing cones, both sides, DID NOT match the radius of the axle fillet and so the bearing inner face radius simply wore away the axle radius to become closer and closer to the step face, requiring frequent adjustment of bearings. Never seen that fault before, if properly engineered/machined or even checked before assembly, it would not be like that.
The RH suspension spring dropped around 19/20mm, requiring a ring packer at the top mount.
Although seemingly plated against rust the fold out floor springs rusted badly.
After 42 days travelling during it's last trip, the zips for the canvas became a pain in the fingers to operate each day.
Yes, a toilet and shower + grey water holding seems to dictate sales now.
Everything has it's day!
AnswerID: 646054

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 22:24

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 22:24
Ouch! Sounds like you endured through lots of unnecessary frustrations. What did you replace it with and do you still have it?
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Travelling fulltime in 2024

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 926522

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 11:23

Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 11:23
David/Michelle Reply.
After selling the Tvan I bought an old poptop caravan which had water damage in rear. Ripped it all apart during Covid Madness and forced control, and completely replaced ALL timber frame and rear internal panelling, fitted solar and battery. Used a few times but the lack of Toilet and shower factor was a problem.
Eventually bought a Jayco Journey Outback,15 ft with bunks in rear, with them gone, it now has a toilet and shower and plenty of light item storage. Made Lithium battery/144ah and fitted 5kw diesel heater. Although it won't go where I took the Tvan, it is a lot more usable for no more money, maybe even less than a basic Tvan, which was good but had the limitations mentioned by others.
FollowupID: 926525

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 09:55

Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 09:55
Personally I think Track's current circumstances probably have far more to do with the current market & their corporate structure, than it has to do with their product. Tvan's may not be perfect, but there is no such thing as the perfect RV. As off road camper trailers go I reckon the Tvan basic design is at the top of the heap. Note I said 'basic design'. I am less certain about more recent 'full bells & whistles' models pandering to a market of often inexperienced travellers who think they know what what they want, but end up finding they have bought complexity they don't understand & perhaps come to realise that simplicity is better for remote travel.

Track, during the 'Covid boom' have also expanded, incorporating other brands & entering the USA market. Perhaps a case of over-reaching in a market situation which held a lot of promise but was always going to end?

Currently the RV market across the board is struggling I think.

I don't buy the lack of self containment as being a primary reason for their troubles. Tvans are at the pinnacle of a niche market, comprising a core of folk who want to get well off the beaten track (where self containment requirements are a non issue) with minimal weight & maximum comfort & the knowledge that their rig will hold up, & keep holding up for a long time with only basic maintenance required.

That during the 'covid boom' many have been sold to folk who liked the idea of what a Tvan is, but who rarely stayed outside of caravan parks or easily accessed free camps , & perhaps came to realise that for their style of travel they could have had more comfort & convenience for the same amount of money, albeit without the capability of the Tvan, is , I'm guessing, a marketing strategy which has shot itself in the foot. Promoting & selling a niche product to a wider market.

My guess is that the restructuring of Track Trailer will see them 'cut their losses' & offload the weight that Outback HQ & all it's accoutrements probably represents on their corporate shoulders, & return to the comfort of being a smaller scale manufacturer, with a very saleable product & an enviable & respected reputation for the sort of after sales backup & support that remote tourers appreciate .
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 646056

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mcc - Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 21:51

Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 21:51
They seemed to grow a lot, picking up lots of other brands along the way. That was probably ok while sales were good due to Covid but I imagine the overheads would have been very high and having too many products increases complexity and cost a lot.

I'm guessing the new sales market dried up as oldies started travelling overseas again after Covid. Some of them probably offloaded their Tvan's, further reducing the demand for new ones.

I'm pretty sure they will emerge out the other side as a slimmed down operation.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926527

Sponsored Links