HF Radio Setups

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 20, 2024 at 22:12
ThreadID: 147878 Views:921 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting a HF setup for some truips over the coming years. I am curious though on how do you connect to a specific network, eg: HFRC or VKS. Do you have to configure the radio to talk on their networks?

Also, what brand and models would be best for a new user, Codan or Barrett. Obviously being a newbie I don't want to spend a ton but want something that will last a few years.

Just curious at this stage.
Living life, one coffee at a time

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pepper - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 09:44

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 09:44
I have owned both barrett and codan radios and been a member of all networks .

For me both barrett and codan are excellent uniys..i found barrett easier and simpler to use.. codan has multifunction buttons which i think are
Confusing..

You pay for membership to each network and get frequencies programmed into the radio as required..

You can buy older second hand radio sets as low as about $500 etc..

Barrett has served me very well with after sales service for years..

You will join a great aust wide helpfull community..
AnswerID: 646049

Reply By: Member - TroyR - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 10:10

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 10:10
Thanks for the info. Can you program the frequencies for each network yourself? I have a strong IT background and am happy to learn new tech

AnswerID: 646050

Follow Up By: Pepper - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 11:19

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 11:19
I dont have the skills to program them ,i have paid a small fee each time..note when you join a network they will often have someone that can do the programming or assist..just ask..

You may be able to program it ..instructions are available..
FollowupID: 926516

Reply By: Member - dirvine - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 13:35

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 13:35
I have a very old Codan with seperate head and with a taped ariel. I had nothing programmed for mine. I just dial in the channel for VKS and make sure the tap pin wire is wound around ariel and then the end pin is placed in the correct pin hole. That simple.
Davo

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646051

Follow Up By: Member - sparra - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 16:41

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 16:41
David, same as me, an old Codan X2 with tapped antennae.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926517

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 23:16

Friday, Jun 21, 2024 at 23:16
"Do you have to configure the radio to talk on their networks?"

Troy, If you are buying secondhand equipment, ask what networks the equipment the sets are set up for. You will mostly find one that suits you that is preset for your requirements. They will also have the RFDS frequencies in them as well. If you do have to have the set reconfigured, it will depend upon the age of the set. The older models require new crystals for each new frequency you require, there will not be many of those (if any) around. The next generation require memory modules reconfigured, you will need to find someone with the equipment to do this for you. Later ones require a cable for a computer to do the trick, you can probably learn to do these yourself. Then the later ones may not need extra equipment to do the Job.

If you are purchasing new equipment, they will set them up for you.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646055

Reply By: Truedogz - Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 20:37

Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 20:37
I have an older basic Barrett radio and am a member of the VKS network which I can recommend.

I am very much a believer in the KISS strategy so used a tapped aerial. Many people only use their HF radios for listening to and calling into skeds so often use just one frequency. A tapped aerial is simple with no parts to maintain. So basic for me is a simple to use radio, that can use sellcall to find the best station and make an emergency call if needed, and a tapped aerial. I enjoy listening to the sked calls around the nation.

It is horses for courses though if you want all the bells and whistles and flexibility.

This page has good basic information on the strengths and issues with a range of models. Search the site and you will find a wealth of info:https://www.hfradio.com.au/4wd-hf-radio-faqs.html
AnswerID: 646059

Reply By: Truedogz - Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 20:41

Saturday, Jun 22, 2024 at 20:41
https://www.hfradio.com.au/barrett-information.html
AnswerID: 646060

Follow Up By: Member - TroyR - Monday, Jun 24, 2024 at 16:37

Monday, Jun 24, 2024 at 16:37
Thanks mate, appreciate the advice.

FollowupID: 926530

Sponsored Links