Scan Gauge 3

Submitted: Monday, Jun 17, 2024 at 19:53
ThreadID: 147846 Views:1253 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
Hi guys. Just done a search on here regarding Scan Gauge 3 couldn't find anything. So, what I want to know has anyone use this model yet, Cheers Uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Loddo48 - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 10:21

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 10:21
Yes I am now using a Scangauge 3 , changed from a Scangauge 2 . Much easier to set up then a '2 ' as most of the gauges come up as soon as it is connected. When entering the X codes also much easier as well. Nine selectable gauges as well on one screen if you want . There is also other features as well , depends on what you want out of it, you also can read codes and remove them as well.
AnswerID: 646040

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 18:43

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 18:43
Thanks Loddo, I'm going to use it for towing to keep an eye on temps, e.g. Transmission

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926501

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 18:44

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 18:44
Thanks Loddo, I'm going to use it for towing to keep an eye on temps, e.g. Transmission

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926502

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 20:44

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2024 at 20:44
I had a Dash Dyno before as I wanted an easy to read display that showed multiple gauges, had alarms, PC pass through etc. It worked well but couldn't get the manufacturer interested in providing transmission temperature for my Prado 120.

Then the Scangauge 3 came out, gives similar info to the Dash Dyno, multiple trip meters etc, multiple gauge displays and you can set alarms etc. Doesn't cover as many codes out of the box as the Dash Dyno but does do trans temp for the 120 and covers most codes most people will want. Not as nice a graphical display as the Dash Dyno (LCD Dash Dyno, LED Scangauge) but still a nice looking display.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646041

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 07:47
Hi Uppy,

I bought the Scangauge 3 last year, but had only used the trip meter for the past few months, as I had not had an opportunity to tow the van. On a recent trip towing the van, I selected the Toyota preset configuration to scan the standard preset indicators that include Torque Converter Lockup, and two Transmission Temperatures among others.

In the past, I had been towing my 2.6 Tonne caravan in S5, and whilst I could get the Torque Converter to lock up in S5, it did not lock up very often, and only on very flat sections of road, and I Chas no idea what the transmission temperatures were. Using the Scangauge and selecting S4, it clearly showed me the difference in Transmission temperatures and was able to get the Torque Converter to lock up and stay locked up in S4, with the Transmission temperatures staying around the 60 degrees mark instead of up to and above the 120 degrees when trying to tow in S5. This was the main reason for buying the Scangauge 3, to enable me to monitor the Transmission temperatures when towing.

As far as using the Scangauge 3 as a trip computer, I am not sure how accurate it is. By the Scangauge I am averaging around 10 or 12 Ltrs./100 Kms. By using the odometer and litres pumped into the tank, I am using around 17 Ltrs./100 Kms when not towing. I do have larger tyres on than the original, but I would not think this would make that much difference. Obviously the larger tyres does bring the speedometer back to nearly actual instead of the 3 to 5 % offset, but to have something like a 30% difference in fuel economy, I would not think the larger tyres would make that much difference.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646045

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 08:53

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 08:53
I also have larger tyres but with them fitted the speedo is very accurate, with standard tyres on the speedo reads around 3k's slower. You can from memory enter a speed correction in settings to correct the speed reading.

I found fuel usage figures out of the box weren't that accurate, if you also enter the litres of fuel you put in at each fill up the unit will gradually correct the fuel usage figures, you can also manually enter a correction value in.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926505

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 09:52

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 09:52
G'day Macca
Your words above show the wise use of the Scangauge 3. With it you have removed the need for a Lockup kit so popular with some who push the limits on their Lockup clutch. If a lockup clutch is used, when it really shouldn't be used, the fuel usage will increase because the load detected by the ECU will administer more fuel to overcome the higher than designed load. Your larger tyres will have a similar effect as it makes the ECU operate in a different position on the LOAD/FUEL/SPEED electronic map within the ECU. With S4 use you are splitting the difference, sort of.
Using S4 means the load on the lockup clutch is reduced so it will operate locked but some higher revs also. It is all a matching of load and speed after all.
With any tyres, If you set your cruise control to 100kmh on speedo, and then suddenly cancel the average speed reading of the trip computer. As it resumes calculating, it WILL SHOW the Difference between designed speed with OE tyres and the SET IN over reading which is mandatorily set by the manufacturer to comply with the Australian design rules. usually 3 or 4km/h. Probably your actual speed with larger tyres has negated the safety margin of speed reading and actual speed and is now close to the same.
FollowupID: 926508

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 21:06

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 21:06
Thanks boys, will install one in my Prado

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926510

Reply By: Matthew G3 - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:15

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 10:15
I have a Scan gauge 3 mainly to monitor trans temp [22 Next Gen Ranger] and fuel usage as i have the ARB frontier 140ltr tank. I have the fuel tank size set at 130ltr for safety [it takes about 3-4 full tanks of fuel to get the usage right. closer to empty the better] , it also has a counter for your cars DPF to say if it is full or not and another gauge to say the DPF is doing an Active Regen. Normal EGT`s are about 340degrees and during a burn i seen it up 670degrees. You can customize how many gauges you want on the screen up to 9 but you have 3 screens you can scroll through for gauges so up to 27 different gauges.

Matt
AnswerID: 646046

Follow Up By: Uppy - Member - Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024 at 21:08
Thanks Mat, going to use it for monitoring temps etc... in my Prado when I`m Towing

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926511

Sponsored Links