What makes a good camping video?

Submitted: Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 06:47
ThreadID: 147675 Views:1090 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
Hi everyone, i am new here and this is my first post?

I just wanted your opinions on what makes a good ‘camping’ video. (Assuming its a solo camper - and not a production company on tv).

Is it the setup / equipment talk?
Is it the location? General location or specifics.
Is it the cooking?
Is it the banter / talking to the camera?
Is it the activities? Like fishing, kayaking, bushwalking, etc
Is its the fire / or stories around the fire?
Is it the personality / presenter - and their take on the show?
All of the above??

And are there any specifics channels you watch, and what is the appeal?

The reason that i ask, is that i filmed my very first one last weekend, solo. But it got me thinking… what do people who camp want to watch?

…Having said that, my assumption is the people who camp - are the people who ‘like’ to watch things about the outdoors - but maybe I've got this back to front. ??

Anyway, any insights any of you could provide would be very welcome. …because as much as i love camping (especially when i was growing up), i just don’t get the opportunity to go very frequently - especially with a young family. And im trying to maximise my time and not re-invent the wheel.

Thanks in advance for your thought and consideration to this topic.

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 08:35

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 08:35
Hi Get.outside,

From my perspective, all of the above. I would also add that the presenter needs to be knowledgeable and not just “slick”. The presenter also needs to be “personalable”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645857

Follow Up By: Get.Outside - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:22

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:22
Thanks Macca. Any particular show you like best?
FollowupID: 926263

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 07:51

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 07:51
I used to watch Penny and the Top of Downunder, for the articles of course :-).

All 4 Adventure is probably my favourite. Whilst it does go to extreme locations that I would never attempt, the boys highlight some good products. Their vehicles are well set up, and an example of an ideal camping and touring vehicle. Their cooking segments also highlight what you can do with a camp oven.

Next would be Pat Callinan, for similar reason outlined above.

I also watch What’s up Downunder, but it is more about advertising than anything else, although their caravan “Tough Tested” segment isn’t too bad.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 926274

Reply By: Rod N - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 08:58

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 08:58
Above all do not 'advertise' things. There are myriads of commercial shows that to me are just one long advert, so much so that I rarely watch them any more.
What makes you think that people will want to watch yours out of all the other camping and travel videos?
AnswerID: 645858

Follow Up By: Get.Outside - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:36

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:36
I agree 100% on the advertising front. I rarely watch anything but youtube (on premium - so no ads) for that very thing nowadays.

But the stuff that i watch personally, are completely ‘off grid’ stuff. And although im not big into watching the ‘cooking’ - I've noticed that the videos that focus on ‘camp cooking’ or ‘catch and cook’ do far far better (into connecting with an audience) then the ‘camp only’ or ‘catch and release’ videos.

From my perspective, im creating a video about something that i enjoy - and find soul fulfilling.

And it would take just the same amount of effort (roughly speaking) filming and editing either side of the coin …However, i just think its better to get a viewers take on what they want to see - rather than guess. Especially if im going to concentrate on certain aspects of camping in each video.

Anyway, thanks for your input Rod ??
FollowupID: 926264

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:35

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:35
G. O.
It is great to get outside, but people used to have memories and with a couple of photos of interesting parts of the outing they enjoyed at the camp etc. Not sure why you want to make videos of yourself for other people to watch, because it isn't their memories which will be invoked later on in the future. Having a memory, means, a small reminder, photos or comments or item, brings back floods of thing which happened on each trip away.
I wouldn't be interested in watching someone else's camping scenes or video at all, purely because it wasn't ever my experience and therefore meaningless.
People on here often show pics of past trips away, often remote, They are the memory recallers.

Go ahead if that, floats your boat.
AnswerID: 645860

Follow Up By: Get.Outside - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:39

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 09:39
Thanks RMD. I understand your viewpoint.
FollowupID: 926265

Reply By: Gramps - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 14:05

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 14:05
My main bugbear with watching these videos is the amount of time the camera is focussed on the narrator. I am not in the least bit interested in watching someone babbling into the camera while driving etc. Focus on what's outside the vehicle or the task you're performing and talk in the background.

Regards
AnswerID: 645861

Follow Up By: Briste - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 15:14

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 15:14
Amen to that! I'd watch a whole lot more if I could find more videos that used voice-over narration rather than the talking head(s) approach, but they're hard to find. A small amount is ok, but not the bulk of the video!
FollowupID: 926269

Reply By: Garry L - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 16:41

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 16:41
" What makes a good camping video? "

One with me in it :)

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 645863

Follow Up By: Get.Outside - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 17:49

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 17:49
Haha, i hope your a multi-trick pony then ;)
FollowupID: 926271

Follow Up By: Garry L - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 09:17

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 09:17
" Haha, i hope your a multi-trick pony then ;) "

More tricks than a Cosentino concert !

Cheers
Gazz
FollowupID: 926277

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 19:59

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 19:59
Not sure about videos. Few have appeal to me for the reasons others have given. As a blogger I feel that the most important aspect of my writing is to be true to myself. Getting distracted by trying to guess what others want only leads to the same repetitive nonsense that is so prevalent on the 'net' today. Then again my 'followers' are relatively small in number, just a few hundred, but they do genuinely seen to enjoy what i write, so I would say that for videos just be true to yourself.

Recently I have enjoyed videos made about training wild camels & walking them though WA desert country. The chap is someone I have had the pleasure of sharing a few camps with some years back, but I think he has his own style as well as what, to me at least is an interesting topic. If I thought I could do video like him I'd give it a whirl, but I reckon I'm better sticking to the written word.

Have a look at Luke at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO1miAbeWNs for what I find engaging personal video & take from it what you will. Worth reading some of the feedback too.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645864

Follow Up By: Get.Outside - Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 20:52

Saturday, May 11, 2024 at 20:52
Hey Cuppa, thankyou for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I also really liked the video. Never thought there was such a thing - camel training. Definitely some food for thought for me.
FollowupID: 926273

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 09:32

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 09:32
Molly Dixon makes plenty of good travel videos on YouTube. Lots of pleasant scenery too!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645867

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 11:27

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 11:27
Gees Bob, looks like I'll have to make Molly an exception to my previous comment.

Regards
FollowupID: 926278

Follow Up By: Get.Outside - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 12:04

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 12:04
Ahhh… I might fall short in comparison to Molly Dixon unfortunately. I don't quite have her personality. Interesting channel though.
FollowupID: 926280

Reply By: riverman - Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 16:07

Sunday, May 12, 2024 at 16:07
Unless you have something VERY different to present I feel that we are overloaded with camping/4wd/caravaning/travel/etc etc videos on utube, Just my thoughts,
AnswerID: 645870

Reply By: Rocket Rod - Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 14:20

Thursday, May 16, 2024 at 14:20
Keep them short! 15mins max. I hate watching a video for 40min and then find out there was nothing to like.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645898

Sponsored Links