Hema HX2 Reviews

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 18:31
ThreadID: 144773 Views:14888 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone following the disaster playing out in the reviews of this device? Amusing, if you havent stumped up $750 for one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 18:55

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 18:55
Here we go again Duncan

Not sure what the reviews are, don’t always read what is written.

Sounds like from your others posts you are anti Hema, not sure why.

As for pricing, if you buy direct from Hema, you pay the full RR, but go to other outlets that are authorised dealers and you will get them more than $100 cheaper.

As for my personal review, they are great, more features than its predecessor the HX1.

I replied to your last statement “Hema is a Train Wreck” which you did not respond to.

In case you did not read one of my replies, have a look at this link:

Hemas latest updates for the HX2 - not too bad for a train wreck.

Also name one other Australian company that does this much field work and research to keep all their products market leaders.

For the record, I have no personal interests with Hema, but will always defend any product that is great where people criticise it from third party, pub talk.

In other words, if you don’t have and use a HX2, don’t make statements that you can not back up.

Now what will your reply be ?
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641601

Reply By: Member - Duncan2H - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 19:30

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 19:30
I trialled an HX2.. its deficiencies were obvious, very much in line with the reviews. I am not sure why I bothered, after the bad taste their last attempt at an app left in my mouth. A once proud supplier, no doubt, but you can only trade on your heritage for so long.
AnswerID: 641602

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 19:52

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 19:52
Please elaborate on the deficiencies? Also how were you able to try one?

What do the reviews say?

When you say you were able to trial it, was it in the city or out in the country.

I have found both excellent and find it hard that you did not like it.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920837

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 19:56

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2022 at 19:56
What can you say about this then?

Hema HX2 Review

And another review on the HX2

Please post some of the bad reviews you talk about
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641603

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:54

Thursday, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:54
Just a quick Google search
Hx1 4.2 rating 111 results
Hx2 3.3 rating 42 results
If you wish to read the bad reviews press on the 1 star rating plenty there to read should keep you busy/ amused for a while lol:)))
But there are always those people that want to run something down on reviews , when I was buying our HX 1 there were a lot of bad reviews most were baseless IMO
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 920840

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Thursday, Sep 08, 2022 at 06:57

Thursday, Sep 08, 2022 at 06:57
StephenL - user reviews, maybe I should have been more specific - not industry puff pieces like you've linked.

* BCF: https://www.bcf.com.au/p/hema-hx-2-navigator-gps/618098.html
* Product Reviews.com.au https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/hema-hx-2-navigator
* Supercheap Auto: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/hema-hema-hx-2-navigator-gps/618098.html (some duplicates with BCF)

Remarkably similar themes amongst all the 1 star reviews..

FollowupID: 920842

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Sep 10, 2022 at 08:15

Saturday, Sep 10, 2022 at 08:15
Stephen, you do know at least one of those reviews was done by the company that owns Hema right?

https://www.emprisegroup.com.au/Content/OurBrands

I have no experience with a HX2, but if their App software is anything to go by, they have no idea how to do software. They should stick to mapping and magazines.

I wasted a lot of time and money trying to get something useful from their mapping apps. I'd classify them as expensive, unreliable junk.
FollowupID: 920854

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Sep 10, 2022 at 13:48

Saturday, Sep 10, 2022 at 13:48
Hi Boobook

Unfortunately non of the replies so far have been from owners who actually own a HX2

As for expensive, unreliable junk, I have to totally disagree and why do you say they are unreliable?

Too many people here rely on third party say so, and as for Duncan say he trialed one, he still has not said how, as no shop is going to give you one to go and drive around to try it out.

I still stick by my words, they are a great unit.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 920859

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Sep 08, 2022 at 06:06

Thursday, Sep 08, 2022 at 06:06
Had the HX1...Battery crapped out and thing was always slow and a pain to use. Binned it and bought an 8inch Samsung pad.....10 times better with 20 times the features at 1/2 the price.
AnswerID: 641604

Follow Up By: Phil G - Friday, Sep 09, 2022 at 07:23

Friday, Sep 09, 2022 at 07:23
Same here. Have finally ditched my HX-1 after spending two years trying to make it work for me.
My Samsung 8" tablet running Oziexplorer for Android(a fantastic well-supported Australian Product) with a variety of maps I've had for years remains far and away the best mapping product I've used.
I helped a friend set up his new HX-2 and a few of the issues I had with the HX-1 have been addressed, but I have not used the HX-2.
FollowupID: 920848

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Sep 09, 2022 at 14:18

Friday, Sep 09, 2022 at 14:18
I have found that the on-road search engine is slow and clunky. The off road maps are nowhere near as good as Natmaps. Hema told me I cannot load my (purchased) Natmaps into the Hema. Alongside my Samsung 10” tablet running Ozi for Android (I have both running side by side) the Hema is not as good. The Hema is not instant to boot but not particularly slow, the Samsung can’t handle the full 250k mosaic map, instead I can only use one zone at the time. So all products have some issues.
AnswerID: 641610

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Sep 10, 2022 at 13:28

Saturday, Sep 10, 2022 at 13:28
My SIL had one and loved it, even though it took her on many an unnecessary detours instead of the direct route ........ I know because I followed her and we often did three legs of a rectangle instead of one.
The Hema died last year and she has decided not to replace it .......... just uses Apple and Google, although she realises that off-road tracks will mostly not be shown.
I also realise that user error counts for many problems with navigating, as does hurrying.
Have just used theTraveller app and EOTopo to access a lovely area in northern NSW where there was no mobile access, and everything worked perfectly, and now there are excellent Track Logs to show where we've been, along with all the photos and comments. Great record to have.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641615

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Monday, Sep 12, 2022 at 20:22

Monday, Sep 12, 2022 at 20:22
When I first started out looking at electronic mapping..Hema was the first product I went for, so to test the waters so to speak..I purchased their iOS App..Hema Explorer..thinking when I got use to using this app..I would progress to the HX product line even though the price was steep.
The Hema Explorer App was a joke of an app..crashed consistently, the App locked itself in a continuous loop when "offline" and the learning curve was so frustrating as the App would be playing up.
Then the support from Hema was non event and now I believe Hema have moved to a subscription type of service for their upgraded 4wd mobile Apps.
So I binned it..and was sworn off the Hema product.
I am finding that the competition in electronic mapping has surpassed the Hema product because you can buy a moderate priced google, Samsung or even Apple product and then load them with the many mobile mapping apps.
AnswerID: 641624

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Monday, Sep 12, 2022 at 21:19

Monday, Sep 12, 2022 at 21:19
Exactly my experience with the product!
About a month after I stopped using the product due to my frustration I received a reply from support that basically was info I already had from their site anyway that didn't solve my issue.
Too little too late.
Never again.
I do use the Hema paper Maps though & have for years.

Cheers
Stu
FollowupID: 920881

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan2H - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022 at 07:06

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022 at 07:06
The Hema 4x4 Explorer App was a bad joke. I was "forced" onto it in March 2021 after retiring an old Tablet and found they had pulled their old faithful app (just called Hema Explorer I think) from the App Store with the traditional Hema Map set from about 2008 which were actually pretty good maps. I just assumed the same, or better, maps would be available in the new App.

Unfortunately the new App shipped with a new offline map set that was a complete and utter joke. The old style of maps, which I love, were only available in the new 4x4 Explorer App whilst online. Thinking they must now be "premium" maps I even paid for the Premium map set in the app and got barely nothing more, a tiny bit more detail on the new, absolutely hopeless, maps. Adding insult to injury you couldn't even store Maps on the SD card in the Tablet. I persisted with the App for a while, even trialled it on an Anne Beadell trip - I gave it every opportunity and really sought to understand how it wanted to be used. No good, completely rubbish maps and a very buggy app missing some basic functionality and with a range of very annoying behaviours. As you can see below I had Hema Premium installed, and Hema Touring - the "Hema Explorer" maps you see below (the "old" maps) were only available whilst online.. confirmed by Hema at the time.

Thankfully I have copies of the old Hema Map DVDs (2008 and 2012) backed up and can still access them from OziExplorer when I want to.

Everything the new Hema company (post-merger) touches is pretty much a joke now. A real shame, I used to hold this company in high regard.

Anyone considering the HX2 is well advised to read actual user reviews very closely and pay attention to the consistent theme emerging, and to understand that its just an Android device with a paltry 2GB of RAM, running Android 10, and locked tightly into the Hema mapping ecosystem.

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/hema-hx-2-navigator

A close read of the Hema 4x4 Explorer app reviews holds no surprises either:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hemax.explorer4wd.android
FollowupID: 920883

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022 at 20:16

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022 at 20:16
Don't discount the Hema 4wd app. It is pretty good & rock solid. It preceded the Explorer joke by a decade & is far better. As far as I know it is still available, but Hema don't push it as they want you to buy their other products.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 920887

Follow Up By: Member - WA 1968 - Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 22:41

Wednesday, Sep 14, 2022 at 22:41
I went back to the Hema 4wd map after my HX1 died. Only reason I didn’t purchase a HX2 mainly due to my wife not wanting the device in the field of view??. I now use an iPad mounted . The downside to the 4wd app is the ability to sync pre made this easily. I have now downloaded Memory-Map and a one off purchase of the Hema Map package. I can make trips on my pumcee and then sync to my iPad. I’m happy for now ??
FollowupID: 920897

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022 at 21:12

Tuesday, Sep 13, 2022 at 21:12
Navigation apps by their virtue of design can be steep learning curve for the new operator.
This can be compounded quite significantly when the app is substandard in its quality and robustness.
It was the case with the Hema Explorer..plus updates were non existent for this app..so this gave me the impression that Hema is resting on its’ laurels from its days when it dominated the paper maps for off-roaders.
I have not been back as there are other navigation apps which are better suited to my type of off-roading navigation.
AnswerID: 641626

Reply By: Patrick M4 - Wednesday, Sep 21, 2022 at 21:36

Wednesday, Sep 21, 2022 at 21:36
Hi troops,
I was reading through the comments about the Hema maps and GPS's. Not too long ago, 12months, I think bought a Garmin unit with the Hema maps on it and after it's first outback trial it died, or more to the point bombed out to the point where I had to completely download the software and reconfigure it all, (that had to wait for a few days because we were outside mobile range) along with that it lost all the routes and tracks that I had logged onto it, I was not a happy camper.
I have been using GPS's since they first came into Australia and never have I had any problems with the earlier one's but Garmin over the last twenty years have completely lost the plot and producing nothing that is of any use outside city streets.
I was also interested to pick up on a comment where one member mentioned that Hema was the best produce of paper styled maps, well that is not true at all, Road & Tracks Western Australia, published by QPA have been producing maps of WA for years before and with acres more detail that Hema ever did.
Anyway I will not go on anymore than I should but I will mention that I was given a full refund on the Garman/Hema unit that I purchased, thank God.
Regards:-
Patrick M4
AnswerID: 641699

Sponsored Links