The Bridges of Port Augusta

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 14, 2020 at 13:51
ThreadID: 140151 Views:9864 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Odds on that most folk have been over this short, slow span!
The Bridges of Port Augusta 12June20.
Before the construction of this bridge, the only short way to cross the gulf was by ferryboats and barges. The much longer overland route involved a journey of approximately 24 km via Yorkey Crossing.
A bridge was proposed in 1926
Atkins and Finlayson won the contract for the job. The stone used at each end of the bridge was obtained from the ruins of the hotel at Saltia in the Pichi Richi Pass.
The bridge was opened by the Minister for Local Government on 6 July 1927 and was named The Great Western Bridge.
In 1966 plans were announced for a new bridge to be built.
The new Bridge was opened in 1972.
In 2012 the Bridge was named the Joy Baluch bridge after the long serving and popular Mayor.
Bridge duplication project.........
As of March 2020, The bridge is being duplicated by adding a second two-lane bridge immediately north of the original bridge. This is expected to be completed in 2022.

The new Bridge was opened in 1972.

In 2012 the Bridge was named the Joy Baluch bridge after the long serving and popular Mayor.

Bridge duplication

As of March 2020, The bridge is being duplicated by adding a second two-lane bridge immediately north of the original bridge. This is expected to be completed in 2022.

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Sponsored Links