97 grand jeep cherokee

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 16:50
ThreadID: 102861 Views:1819 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
can any body help i have a vibration in the front end i have replaced the shocks and had all the tyres rebalanced and the vibration is still there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - J&R - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 17:28

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 17:28
How long is a piece of string?

Sounds like you've done the usual stuff, spent some money without solving the problem so it could be ball joints, wheel bearings, torsion supports etc.

Did you ask the people who balanced yr tyres. I'm sure they would be a good place to start.

Or you could keep spending all your money til you've replaced everything and still have the problem like a lot of people do...
AnswerID: 513472

Follow Up By: garry r1 - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:40

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:40
yep asked my tyre bloke front end is fine all new bushes when i bought it
FollowupID: 792256

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 17:59

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 17:59
garry r1
Can you give a little more info about the vibration?
Is it a fast vibe or a steering wheel felt slower shake at approx 5 to 10 per second?
When does it happen, at what speed, does it come and go with speed.

Specifics do help diagnosis, otherwise it is just the usual stabbing in the dark.

Ross M
AnswerID: 513473

Follow Up By: garry r1 - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:38

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 16:38
it is happening all the time the faster you go the less it vibrates. it feels like a square tyre but my tyre bloke said they are fine they are about 5000 ks old.
no shake in the steering at all
FollowupID: 792255

Reply By: Member - Andrew - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 18:29

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 18:29
Bad vibration is something moving in a way you don’t want it to.
How bad is subjective but the consequence can be catastrophic depending on what is affected.
As J & R has suggested, diagnosis is crucial to solve the problem without unnecesary work being done.
When did the problem start?
Did it happen suddenly or over a long period of time?
Does it change with road speed or only with engine revs?
Does it change when you accelerate and then back off or coast in neutral?
Does it change with different road surfaces?
Does it get better or worse when you corner?
Explaining this type of thing to competent mechanic and letting them roadtest the vehicle to get a feel for what the vehicle feels like is the start of the diagnosis process.
Remember also that a wheel balance does not always solve wheel vibration issues. The tyres may not be round, may be uneven in their “stiffness”, or the wheel may not be true on the hub. If the wheel balance was done “off” vehicle and they didn’t know you were chasing a problem, then they may not have checked for everything.
On smooth roads vibrations are mostly caused by things that spin. On rough roads the uneven surface makes things move. So, tyres, wheels, driveshafts, CV joints and universals usually show up on smooth roads while worn suspension joints and mounts are more likely to vibrate on rough roads. However if you have badly out of balance wheels and worn suspension joints for example, then the vibration can be much worse.
As you can see it’s almost impossible to effectively assist such a general enquiry without a lot of background.

Regards

A
AnswerID: 513475

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 18:51

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 18:51
Mate, ask on ausjeepoffroad.com
They are a good bunch of blokes there and what they don't know about Jeeps isn't worth knowing. Go to the Grand Cherokee drivers section. I hope you get it sorted.
AnswerID: 513477

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 19:52

Thursday, Jun 20, 2013 at 19:52
shockers don,t cause a vibration, they make a noise ,
if the tyres are not perfectly round , no amount of balancing with fix it .
wheel bearings would have to be very lose to even think of causing a
vibration , check your tie rods an the like badly aligned front end ,
ball joints ,,doubt it but !! Steering box adjust .
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 513481

Reply By: brushmarx - Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 09:11

Friday, Jun 21, 2013 at 09:11
I did some research on Jeeps a couple of years ago before purchasing a 1996 Grand Cherokee, and the Jeep forums had quite a bit on Jeep Death Wobbles.
Don't know if this is what you are suffering, but as previously stated, the Jeep Forum has heaps on it.

You could try this link for a start, although it is for a Wrangler.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/diagnosing-death-wobble-fixing-non-dw-shimmies-wobbles-1052221/

Cheers
AnswerID: 513497

Sponsored Links