Filling water tanks on van

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:00
ThreadID: 102746 Views:2890 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Like so many, I have had GREAT difficulty filling the water tanks. thanks to Barrie from NSW Central Coast, he filled my tanks in 3 minutes
All he did was wrap/tape a sponge around my hose to make the inlet to the water tanks air tight ie. So that the air displacement only had the proper air bleed hose to come out of & turned on the hose fast & they filled in 3 minutes. Simple & effective. No need for other attachments or changing any bits.

I hope this helps other similar predicaments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:33

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:33
hi peter w
yes its a smart quick fix idea and has merit if your on your first trip away with your new van
but it should not be required if the van plumbing was made properly in the first place

(so that the air displacement only had the proper air bleed hose to come out of)

by that I take it you mean the tank air vent holes

if that's the case then the vent holes need enlarging
I recall a lot of discussions on here about that problem with in particular on vans with 2 or 3 tanks
one should not have to wrap anything around a hose before inserting it in the filler neck in order to force air displacement through the tank breather to be able to fill it
if that's the case then there is a design problem with the tanks and I would be more inclined to fix it with a better breather system
rather than have to keep wrapping stuff around the hose every time I had to fill the tanks
I prefer permanent fixes rather than fidelly temperary things which is just some thing else you have to do in order to fill your tanks when it should be as straight forward as pushing the hose into the tank filler neck and turning on the tap
cheers
AnswerID: 513045

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 14:01

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 14:01
if you havnt noticed, the filler on the water tank is in the middle..
kind of stupid realy, but they are off the shelf items like that.. bit pathetic realy.
and a prick to fill gravity style..
nothing but solid pressure fills it, and quickly.

i just throw the hose on the end tap and fill from drain point.

soo easy, super quick..

when its full it will blow out the breather, and clean that while its their added bonus.., unless you have a filter of some sort......

better way !!
AnswerID: 513051

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 14:04

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 14:04
I have a short length of hose with a click fitting to fit the end of a standard hose with click fittings. I push 100 - 200 mm of this hose down the filler pipe. That gets the water in quicker. I have seen tanks split when charged with mains pressure, that's why I will not seal all the gap where the whole hose goes into the filler pipe. I have seen others remove the fitting off the end of the hose to be able to push it down the filler pipe.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 513052

Follow Up By: Hunjy100 - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 16:05

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 16:05
Yes I do what Peter does and its no problem.

Mal
FollowupID: 791693

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 16:41

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 16:41
Same here, so easy, then put the fitting in the van boot for next time
FollowupID: 791698

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 19:59

Thursday, Jun 13, 2013 at 19:59
And me too, although I use a "food grade" water hose which eliminates any tainting of the water.

I must be missing something here though.
On my standard water filler, the breather is on the side of the same filler hole when the cap is removed. The filler is Y shaped. The larger pipe is the water inlet and the smaller pipe is the return air breather. When the cap is replaced and locked, both water pipe and air breather are protected from contaminants entering the water tank.
Blocking off the filler "hole" around the hose will surely also block the breather outlet!!!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 791715

Follow Up By: Member - Legendts - Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 17:14

Friday, Jun 14, 2013 at 17:14
I also had issues with filling my three tanks and have re plumbed all of it using elbows, valves and "Ts" which allow me to fill from the drain points and vent out of the fill point. At least now I know I have full tanks. I also fitted the valves to the side of the van for selecting each tank without having to climb under the van t do it. Sure saves the back!
FollowupID: 791785

Follow Up By: On the Run - Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 07:32

Saturday, Jun 15, 2013 at 07:32
Make sure the breather hoses dont have wasps or mud etc in them if you fill with a hose as in the first post and blocking the escaping air with tape ,sponge etc.

Just read on the bushtracker site of the tank going off like a bomb as the breather hose underneath had mud in it and the pressure from filling exploded the tank and ripped it apart ................ BEWARE

regards Doug
FollowupID: 791810

Reply By: Hoyks - Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 09:30

Sunday, Jun 16, 2013 at 09:30
I built my own 100L stainless steel water tank and mounted it under the ute tray. The tank has a filler at the lowest point and a breather at the highest. Both are 3/4" hose, which I thought would be enough. Air can move out of the way easier than water I reasoned.

What I have found is that even when filling from the standard garden hose attached to a snap connector, the air just can't get out of the tank quick enough. When filling from full mains pressure the tank starts to blow up like a balloon and the tray of the ute starts to bend and distort with it.

That is a fair amount of pressure accumulating in there. Probably only a few psi, but acting over a large area can exert a fair amount of force and has the potential to split seams or stress the mounts.

The only solution I have found is to only turn the tap on 1/2 way. It takes a bit longer but won't rupture anything.

For your application, I'd get some 12mm poly irrigation pipe and a snap on type hose connector to plug in the end, should only be a few $$. You can get connectors that have dust caps on them and a blanking cap if you are worried about contamination.

Stick it all the way down the filler neck so the water goes straight into the tank, not into the hose that goes to the tank. The thin wall of the poly pipe will allow more air to escape without blowing the inflowing water back at you.
AnswerID: 513196

Sponsored Links